Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching one of The Rock's DVDs (The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment), and I saw how HHH and the Rock grew and evolved together in the WWE. They fueded with each other as rookies, fueded with each other as leaders of two different factions and fueded with each other as main event stars. It really made me wonder why don't we see this in today's WWE?

So I ask, what happened to rivalries in WWE?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
850 Posts
You mean like Cena vs. Rock?

I think WWE just fluctuate in growth.. they go from the bottom up until they can't go up any higher so they go back down to the bottom again... Maybe they're just the bottom again?

·
Banned
86 Posts
in a nutshell we do. Punk and Heyman is a good example. Righht now I think a lot is at stake in wwe and a lot of people are getting very close to retirement. Give it time and more will happen.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I mean you get them from time to time like Rock and Cena. Hell I'd put Cena and Punk up there for recent rivalries. But I think one reason we don't get rivalries nowadays is because we don't get guys who have that great charisma like The Rock and Triple H that will make you give a shit about the rivalry. I'd say the last truly great Rivalry WWE had was probably Cena and Edge.

·
Aggressively White
6,238 Posts
There is too much stop-start booking for this, whenever someone looks like they're going somewher, the rug gets pulled from underneath them Ziggler, Barrett, Axel, Swagger, Cesaro, Bryan, Punk etc.

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts
CM Punk / Taker had a great program,
Punk / Jericho was great last year,
Edge / Cena was great from a while ago.
Punk / Heyman now
Rock / Cena was good the first time. It's hard to believe they announced Cena/Rock almost 3 years ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Because WWE no longer knows how to do consistnt booking and carry out a storyline for more than a few months.

There's no emotion in the current product.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'd say the last truly great Rivalry WWE had was probably Cena and Edge.
Oh fuck yeah

It might be because we seem to get bored with things quicker these days too. I don't know if it's because of the technology age or whatever, we want to get to the point quicker or something... or maybe it's the simple fact that very few people in the WWE can actually hold up a rivalry for a lengthy period of time.. who knows?

·
Premium Member
18,174 Posts
Cena/Edge was probably the last really big one like someone mentioned. That was brilliantly done. Guess you could make a claim for HHH/Orton & Orton/Cena as well but Cena/Edge has to be the last huge one which arguably benefited both guys greatly.

Heyman/Punk has potential but it depends really I think right now is the peak of it all and where WWE go with it from here is vital and can determine whether this is simply a feud or an actual rivalry.

·
Suzuki-gun
10,402 Posts
Creating rivalries would involve the creative team actually putting in effort and doing some work.

Don't get your hopes up.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,429 Posts
lol @ calling Cena vs Rock a "rivalry".

anyway, Cena and Punk have had a great rivalry dating back 2 years now. plenty of great matches and two serious MOTY candidates in two separate years.

·
Premium Member
18,174 Posts
Yeah Rock/Cena wasn't even close to being a "rivalry". Cena/Punk is a good shout though CP. One to keep an eye on thats for sure.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
We don't see rivalries develop as much anymore because programs get rushed or shut down before they can progress. People want instant gratification and it seems as though WWE is fine with giving us that pretty regularly no matter how short-sighted it is. Instead of a realistic, slow burn approach, a lot of fans want something to start the night after a PPV and progress all the way through the story in a month until the next PPV. Then, because it was rushed and either too much was packed in or not enough was laid out, we're bored with it and want it blown off. It's a vicious cycle.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but the closest thing we've seen to a real rivalry the last few years has been Kofi/Dolph in their never ending string of matches. Granted, there was never anything to the story other than one of them having the US or IC belt and the other one wanting it but in terms of an on-again, off-again association nothing else comes close.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Punk vs Cena could have been the rivalry for this era, but the writers botched that epically.

·
Suzuki-gun
10,402 Posts
Shield begin to split up.

Ambrose runs down Rollins in the carpark in a golf buggy.

Then Santino does a twenty second backstage segment teaching the kids to always remember to look both ways before crossing the street, to keep the moms and sponsors happy.

Long-term rivalry ignited. Easy :kobe3

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
It's tricky because if the same two guys fued multiple times people complain about that too...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Punk vs cena is an ongoing rivalry right now. They will go up against eachother in the future and will have the elements you mentioned as every time they cross paths it's something different. There is so much more posibilites(how the fuck you spell that :D) left with this. Cena and punk going for tag team gold would be great for example.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts