Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
But the same people watch Game Of Thrones etc. with much longer story arc with a bigger esamble then a wwe has ever had, It also force you to remember what happened a few mounth ago.

I suppose bust of them also read at least a book or two per year.

It require more attention or patience to watch a standard police movie than Wrestling as far as storyline goes. Unless it´s at least semi good.
Yup, GoT was the first thing I thought about too. Look at the MCU, 20 movies over the course of 10 year with interconnecting stories. The short attention span excuse is just that, an excuse for shitty storytelling. Give people a compelling, intriguing, believable story and they will eat it up regardless of how long the story takes to develop.

·
Registered
967 Posts
But the same people watch Game Of Thrones etc. with much longer story arc with a bigger esamble then a wwe has ever had, It also force you to remember what happened a few mounth ago.

I suppose bust of them also read at least a book or two per year.

It require more attention or patience to watch a standard police movie than Wrestling as far as storyline goes. Unless it´s at least semi good.
Yes their are gone be fans who watch both wrestling and shows like GoT, but WWE main demographic aren't those people (late teens- to 30 odd year olds), it's kids. Kids have shorter attention spans and tend to lose interest in slow burn story's so why would WWE bother doing them if most of their core fans don't care? Plus it laziness on WWE part too.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yup, GoT was the first thing I thought about too. Look at the MCU, 20 movies over the course of 10 year with interconnecting stories. The short attention span excuse is just that, an excuse for shitty storytelling. Give people a compelling, intriguing, believable story and they will eat it up regardless of how long the story takes to develop.
I agree as well. Fans will happily accept long running storylines as long as the story being told is logical and compelling. NXT is proof of that. But since Vince is a shit storyteller, 90% of the time, most fans are like "just get on with it". The short attention span is nothing but an excuse and always has been.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yeah, the short attention span thing I a cop out, when I was a kid (I'm talking as far back as third grade) I followed every storyline, knew what everybody was doing and enjoyed most of what was going on. Now, as an adult, I don't even know what they are doing half the time because it goes nowhere. I just miss compelling storylines that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's all about what some fans want(which they still can't figure it out)

Some fans lack of patience in term of booking,they just want get hurry and can't wait how it's gonna end. The process is the key,look at Gargano vs Ciampa feud,they just keep build their feud slowly and waiting the right moment to make clash between them and then you get what so called the battle between heel vs face with old school quality in modern era.

Some story need ends quickly because maybe it's just for big stage or one main show purpose like Austin vs The Rock and some feud need process to build and maybe have long ending which ironically played by same guy in past,I mean Batista, feud with Triple H for almost 5 months and feud against Taker for almost one year

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I was watching some old WWF videos on YouTube earlier, including this one and watching it brought a thought to my mind.

Look at all that happens in this one video:
-Taker & Kane open the show with a promo segment about Taker's wife and her mother being in car accidents, finds out they're fine, and then accuses Austin of fabricating the whole thing
-Austin & Regal backstage segment, Regal tells Austin what Taker said and Austin is shocked that Taker is blaming him before deflecting the blame onto his tag partner and ally, Triple H
-Taker confronts Austin backstage who tells him that Triple H did it and he would never do such a thing
-Taker & Kane backstage segment where Taker finds out that one of the phones involved in the calls was Triple H's
-Taker goes to Regal's office to demand a No Holds Barred match against HHH in the main event, Regal unwillingly accepts
-HHH and Stephanie arrive to the arena and greet everyone, but everyone looks away and doesn't speak to them, leading them to wonder what's up
-HHH asks Heyman what's going on, he tells him the story and that Austin framed him for it and that he has a match with Taker later on
-HHH confronts Austin and is upset about being framed while Austin tells him the facts about the call coming from his phone and that he did something like this before when he ran him over with a car in late '99, HHH denies it
-HHH goes to Regal's office to try and waive the match stipulation with Taker, but Regal refuses and tells him he deserves everything he'll get
-Stephanie and Debra backstage segment
-Kane & Taker backstage segment, Taker tells him that he'll take care of HHH tonight and he can pick the bones on Sunday's PPV
-HHH & Stephanie backstage segment, Stephanie tells him that she saw Austin take his phone and make the call on RAW while he was gone, HHH says it's too late and goes out to the arena
-The match

So in total there were about 13 different segments related to the same storyline and all in a 2 hour taped episode of SmackDown. And this wasn't even a rare occurrence, it was regularly like this every week with the main storylines during the Attitude and RA eras.

Today, at best you'll see a opening segment on RAW or SD where two guys confront each other in the ring and the GM comes out to set up a match between them for the main event and afterwards you'll only end up seeing them once or twice, if even that much, in the following 2-3 hours before the match and mostly in just some pointless interview segments or 'selfie promos' backstage.

Why doesn't this level of focus exist on the storylines nowadays, especially since we now have more hours of weekly programming than we ever did back then?
They are three of the most talented performers to ever grace the ring. Nowadays people mark over some overrated dude chanting “yes”. Things have changed.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I guess add to the fact that most fans don't want to wait because the storyline that's going on would probably end in some fuck shit anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
Because it's hard.
It's easy to put athletic wrestlers in the ring and put on a 4 star, 5 star match in a fake/scripted wrestling match.
It takes effort to make interesting, compelling story lines that gives you a reason to care WHY they are in the ring fighting each other.

If this was MMA, sure its all about the fight.
But this is pro-wrestling, sports entertainment. Where's the entertainment?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Because it's hard.
It's easy to put athletic wrestlers in the ring and put on a 4 star, 5 star match in a fake/scripted wrestling match.
It takes effort to make interesting, compelling story lines that gives you a reason to care WHY they are in the ring fighting each other.

If this was MMA, sure its all about the fight.
But this is pro-wrestling, sports entertainment. Where's the entertainment?
What's funny is that the main roster hasn't been telling good stories or putting on great matches, but NXT has been doing both.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
They finally did it this week, but they featured the one guy in multiple segments that they can't afford to overexpose. You almost had it, WWE.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Because they're slaves to the PPVs. Oh it's Survivor Series, OH it's the Royal Rumble. Leads to formulaic build up and stories that are always the same.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts