Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some old WWF videos on YouTube earlier, including this one and watching it brought a thought to my mind.

Look at all that happens in this one video:
-Taker & Kane open the show with a promo segment about Taker's wife and her mother being in car accidents, finds out they're fine, and then accuses Austin of fabricating the whole thing
-Austin & Regal backstage segment, Regal tells Austin what Taker said and Austin is shocked that Taker is blaming him before deflecting the blame onto his tag partner and ally, Triple H
-Taker confronts Austin backstage who tells him that Triple H did it and he would never do such a thing
-Taker & Kane backstage segment where Taker finds out that one of the phones involved in the calls was Triple H's
-Taker goes to Regal's office to demand a No Holds Barred match against HHH in the main event, Regal unwillingly accepts
-HHH and Stephanie arrive to the arena and greet everyone, but everyone looks away and doesn't speak to them, leading them to wonder what's up
-HHH asks Heyman what's going on, he tells him the story and that Austin framed him for it and that he has a match with Taker later on
-HHH confronts Austin and is upset about being framed while Austin tells him the facts about the call coming from his phone and that he did something like this before when he ran him over with a car in late '99, HHH denies it
-HHH goes to Regal's office to try and waive the match stipulation with Taker, but Regal refuses and tells him he deserves everything he'll get
-Stephanie and Debra backstage segment
-Kane & Taker backstage segment, Taker tells him that he'll take care of HHH tonight and he can pick the bones on Sunday's PPV
-HHH & Stephanie backstage segment, Stephanie tells him that she saw Austin take his phone and make the call on RAW while he was gone, HHH says it's too late and goes out to the arena
-The match

So in total there were about 13 different segments related to the same storyline and all in a 2 hour taped episode of SmackDown. And this wasn't even a rare occurrence, it was regularly like this every week with the main storylines during the Attitude and RA eras.

Today, at best you'll see a opening segment on RAW or SD where two guys confront each other in the ring and the GM comes out to set up a match between them for the main event and afterwards you'll only end up seeing them once or twice, if even that much, in the following 2-3 hours before the match and mostly in just some pointless interview segments or 'selfie promos' backstage.

Why doesn't this level of focus exist on the storylines nowadays, especially since we now have more hours of weekly programming than we ever did back then?

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,025 Posts
Laziness. :vince :trolldog

They are capable of still producing good storylines such as Dean & Seth's reunion last year, but they are few and far between.

The best storylines are usually found in NXT these days. The whole Gargano/Ciampa feud was better than anything that's happened on the main roster in ages for me.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Because Hollywood rejects were rejected for a reason , but they will get hired anyway because Vince REALLY hates it when "former fans" are part of the creative

·
Is a Snit Head
22,357 Posts
I could be wrong in thinking this but a lot of modern fans don't have the attention span or patience for intricate or long term story's, they want instant satisfaction.
I feel like this is what they're doing. And it's the opposite of everything that entertainment is doing. We're in a time of "Prestige TV" where it's all about the slow burn to the big payoff.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
That Taker promo in the beginning was godawful. Starts by saying it will be short and sweet, then rambles for over two minutes about a phone prank.
That promo and verbiage is a precursor to the PG scripts, which is the same shit amped up times ten.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I could be wrong in thinking this but a lot of modern fans don't have the attention span or patience for intricate or long term story's, they want instant satisfaction.
I disagree. People will buy in to the longer storyline arcs, but they have to make fuggin sense.

Take this Sasha/Bayley nonsense. They had a nice slow-burn tease and an excellent chance to freshen up Bayley by turning her heel and what do they do? Send them to friggin counseling. Would've had a nice red-hot feud going into Summerslam. They still have time to salvage it, but this shit is all over the place and nonsensical.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I "watch" wwe while browsing on my phone nowadays. It would have my undivided attention if storylines and tension was this good right now. To think this was just an episode of smackdown.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree 1000 percent. Sports entertainment is about ENTERTAINMENT, not five star matches all the time. Straight up wrestling with no stories are boring and a big reason why the product is suffering right now. WWE needs to end the indy experiment which has been nothing but a huge failure.
WWE has had 5 star matches before with fantastic storylines to boot, like Bret-Owen SS '94, Taker-Michaels HIAC, Cena-Punk MiTB 2011, and what NXT has been doing this year.

The quality of the wrestling is higher now than it ever was in the 80s/90s/2000s, but the level of story telling has drastically decreased. I just don't understand why WWE makes it out like we either have to have good wrestling or good storylines and that having both, at least consistently, is just impossible. All most fans want is just a balance between the two.

People watch 3 hours of wrestling every Monday and Tuesday night and 4-5+ hours one Sunday a month. I don't think people's attention span is the problem here, the problem is the writing and how bland it's become.

The video in the OP was only 17 years ago, I doubt the attention span of wrestling fans suddenly became that much worse since then.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It's funny how in this clip Austin brings up the history of HHH orchestrating him getting hit by a car to prove his point of HHH being a well known liar. But in today's WWE, Vince would probably leave that out because to him fans can't remember anything.

·
Registered
967 Posts
People watch 3 hours of wrestling every Monday and Tuesday night and 4-5+ hours one Sunday a month. I don't think people's attention span is the problem here, the problem is the writing and how bland it's become.

The video in the OP was only 17 years ago, I doubt the attention span of wrestling fans suddenly became that much worse since then.
I disagree with you, most casual fans won't watch every minute of Raw/Smackdown and PPVS, they'll just watch who they care about and skip the rest. The writing being bland is a big problem, that i do agree on.

17 years is a lot of time, attitudes change, trends die etc. Look at the 90's /early2000. What was popular film/tv/music wise then, the attitude era etc do you really think that would fly and be popular nowadays? I don't. Plus the demographic has changed from late teens-30s to kids, who have shorter attention spans and less patience.

TL/DR time changes shit, not always for the better.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I feel like this is what they're doing. And it's the opposite of everything that entertainment is doing. We're in a time of "Prestige TV" where it's all about the slow burn to the big payoff.
Good point

I disagree. People will buy in to the longer storyline arcs, but they have to make fuggin sense.

Take this Sasha/Bayley nonsense. They had a nice slow-burn tease and an excellent chance to freshen up Bayley by turning her heel and what do they do? Send them to friggin counseling. Would've had a nice red-hot feud going into Summerslam. They still have time to salvage it, but this shit is all over the place and nonsensical.
I'm not saying every fan wouldn't, just a lot of them.But yes story's should make sense i agree otherwise whats the point of following it all that time for a shit ending? It will just turn people off in future from investing in storys. You bring up a good example of a slow burn done bad, mishandled and a poor pay off.

·
Devil's Blood
3,346 Posts

Lazily obvious wannabe Team Hell No 2.0

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Because WWE is run by lazy, out of touch, arrogant old men who don't give a shit anymore.

NXT on the other hand, which has good storylines and feuds, is run by one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, a student of the game, and someone who gets how to present Pro-Wrestling to a modern audience.

·
Registered
755 Posts
But the same people watch Game Of Thrones etc. with much longer story arc with a bigger esamble then a wwe has ever had, It also force you to remember what happened a few mounth ago.

I suppose bust of them also read at least a book or two per year.

It require more attention or patience to watch a standard police movie than Wrestling as far as storyline goes. Unless it´s at least semi good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts