Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
why doesnt the WWE have a cruiserwight division? i've watched a few cruiserweight matches on youtube the past couple of weeks and noticed that they used alot of crazy moves. guys would take a brainbuster and kick out on 2. guys would get swung around like a rag doll, then make a crazy comeback- spring boaring of the ropes ect... BUT the matches were always exciting and a good change of pace. they added variety to the card

i think wwe needs matches like this on the show. the fans just want an exciting show.

so why doesnt wwe have cruiserweight matches? couldnt they compromise and teach the divas how to do the cruiserweight style and have fast paced matches?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: why doesnt wwe have cruiserweights?

Wwe has a surprising amount of cruiserweights on their roster, but some are in the main event spots now (Punk and Bryan for example) so a cruiserweight division is pointless, if the cruiserweights can go beyond that and compete with heavyweights.

The cruiserweights division used to be the only place to see them wrestle, but if they're all over the card, it doesn't need to exist.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: why doesnt wwe have cruiserweights?

I'd love it, but WWE doesn't have it I'd assume for safety reasons. The aerial moves are dangerous and if you make your style around them, you can still mess up or get injured. The main example is Mysterio. The guy has worked like that his whole career despite who he's working against and how many knee injuries has he had? a lot.

They trust guys doing some of it but the rumors of banned moves (450 splash/ Shooting Star Press other than Evan Bourne) are considered too risky by them as they don't want to lose their up and comers which is a shame. The shame in that division is, you can't do it forever because your legs can only handle so much. When you push their limits night after night you are bound to land wrong some time. In that form of wrestling no one is perfect, hell look at Sin Cara, the guy is famous in the IWC for botching. One time he's really going to hurt himself or others..

Look at Hayabusa, one mistake and he was paralyzed.

I'd love it, but no one can do that forever

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Most cruisers have little to no mic skills or personality
Cruiserweights dont draw for the most part
Having many small high fliers just dilutes the concept - e.g. Rey Mysterio isnt as unique anymore if 20 other guys are doing the same shit

Also, while the first few CW matches you see are exiting, they get old fast. Its just spots, few know how to sell or tell a story.
When you see guys getting top rope powerbombs and kicking out and then jumping around as if nothing had happened, it really kills the credibility.

·
Unlimited Potential
3,048 Posts
If the WWE would have a specific cruiserweight division, that means there will be no other division on the roster :punk5

Seriously though, what Lilou said. They have a lot of cruiserweight guys atm. Wouldn't make sense to have the cruiserweight division on its own. That would mean guys like Punk and Bryan would be in the division when they clearly deserve better and they're already among the top guys in the company today. You can't have them vying for a title not named World Title when there's only one or two guys as over as they currently are.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
To those who mention WWE already having smaller guys in the main event, I still think they can create a new division that's similar to the cruiserweight division but that emphasizes more high-flying and unorthodox styles in the ring. Bryan and Punk would not fall into that category. I'm talking about guys like Kalisto (Samuray del Sol), Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Adrian Neville, Justin Gabriel, etc.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
If cruiserweights have shown that they can compete for more important championships (WWE, WHC, IC, US, Tag Team) that go beyond just their own limited weight division, then why bother settling for just the Cruiserweight championship?

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If cruiserweights have shown that they can compete for more important championships (WWE, WHC, IC, US, Tag Team) that go beyond just their own limited weight division, then why bother settling for just the Cruiserweight championship?
i just think having a match with that type of style breaks up the card....adds variety.

think about WWE's format the past 8 years. just singles and diva matches. no emphasis on tag titles.

some of the posts made a good point about wwe blending the fast paced styles of, for example, daniel bryan into regualr matches on the card...but id like for there to be its own division with a specific roster...and if a guy gets over big time then bump him up to the WHC picture

1 - 12 of 12 Posts