Wrestling Forum banner

Why doesnt Hulk Hogan get the respect he deserves? Why?

7207 Views 39 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  acracker
sorry back then I was a bad poster. so ignore this post.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· F*ck Del Rio
1,820 Posts
Why? He has accomplished almost everything in this business but still people think he sucks. I am 15 atm and I saw him wrestle at the age of 5 and I really loved him very much!(only till the day I came to know that there were people like Taker, Rock, HHH, HBK, SCSA also in the business :D) I still like him and I beleive, those who watched him in his days also like him but I see so many people saying that he sucks, fucks, whatever. Why? What wrong has he done?
Achievement wise he is right at the top with Austin and Rocky

But talent wise he is complete garbage

· The One Who Knocks
5,640 Posts
The main reason is that people resent success, especially in wrestling. Everyone's looking for the next flavor of the month. So when one guy dominates for so long, people get sick of him. It's the main reason people have irrational hatred for Hogan, as they do for Austin, Rock, Cena, and the like.

I'm not a Hogan "fan" by any stretch, but I don't have anything against the guy. He's one of the top 3 entertainers in the history of the business and easily its biggest star ever. Was he a largely crummy wrestler? Yes. Was he a backstabbing, company-killing politician? Apparently, yes. As a wrestling fan who has nothing to do with any of that, do I really care? No.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't think talent is an issue, the fact that he was a career politician in WCW, refused to put talent over i.e. Bash at the Beach 2000. You should watch that. And the fact that he will go to any promotion that will pay big money....Don't forget he was the first big jump to WCW from the WWE even though, The Outsiders(Hall and Nash) jump was more significant IMO.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
He does get the respect he deserves, that's the problem. If he'd retired gracefully aged 45 or so most people would remember him fondly but, unfortunatley, he couldn't give up the spotlight and the result is plain to see.

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
He wore out his welcome, made an embarassment of his personal life for all to see, went from wrestler to tabloid/reality star scumbag, and he refused to job to guys half his age as recently as 2007.

He's on of the most popular wrestlers of all time. Probably had the most sucessful face to heel turn of all time. Was decent in the ring and great on the mic, but still he's been a mess for years.

· Registered
2 Posts
I feel that it is a lot of reasons in play.

1. Hogan has at times gotten very stale (i.e. WCW before the heel turn, Hollywood Hogan got stale as well).

2. Politics (i.e. fingerpoke of doom, which some argue is WCW's jump the shark moment)

3. Idiotic Claims (Andre being 700 pounds)

4. Idiotic Thoughts (understand O.J. for killing Nicole because of his own issues with Linda, thinks a reality show for Nick after jail was a great idea)

5. Terrible at running TNA (i.e. Do we really need another stable?)

6. Lack of in ring talent

As for me, I'm ready to see Hogan go, bad guy or not. I have long found him to be stale. Sure I enjoyed the nostalgia in 2002, 2003 and 2005, but I have long since gotten my fill.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
I fully respect Hulk Hogan for what he did for the wrestling industry and i am constantly saying how no matter what anyone else says Hulk Hogan is the single biggest star that wrestling has ever seen and i include Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock when i say that as well. Even if you speak to someone who doesn't watch wrestling and never has done if you say Hulk Hogan to them they will know exactly who you mean whereas not everyone will know Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.

The reason though that he gets so much hate is because of what has always gone on behind the scenes as he is known for being a career politician who has deliberately held others back for the benefit of himself. Regardless of what Hulk Hogan thought was best for him he could have used his star power to help the business as anyone beating him would have been taken to another level which would have helped WWE make more money.

I can list Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Mr Perfect, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton as people who he refused to put over because he didn't want to work with them despite what Vince McMahon wanted him to do or because he didn't believe they were on his level. Then you look at what he did in WCW in which he refused to put anyone over clean despite being a heel for around three years and this includes Sting who had a year and half build up towards going over at Starrcade in 1997 and then was given a tainted win so Hulk Hogan didn't look weak.

Having watched wrestling since 1988 i have seen almost all of Hulk Hogan's run at the top outside of the first four years although i did watch WrestleMania 3 through to 1988 on VHS video and outside of The Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg and The Rock how many people have beaten Hulk Hogan clean in his whole career. When you are the top star it is your job to help further the business by using that star power to help others be built up but what Hulk Hogan has done throughout his whole career even well after his prime is look out for himself and act in a selfish manner to feed his ego, even to this day he honestly believes that he is a HUGE draw and the main man.

· Registered
3 Posts
He can really wrestle well it was rumored that during the 80s Hogan threatened to leave WWE/WWF if he had to lose a match which probably why he won most of the wrestlemania main events. He doesn't know when to stop and just go off wrestling which as ruined his legacy he should of quit at wrestlemania 18.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
Man we need to sticky a thread which details why most of the IWC hates Hogan. I see a new one everyday here.

On topic tho, the guy was a great entertainer when he was at the top in WWF, but all the stuff he pulled in WCW (holding young talent down, helping out all his buddies etc.) justifies all the hate he gets.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
John-Morrison™;9439833 said:
Why? He has accomplished almost everything in this business but still people think he sucks. I am 15 atm and I saw him wrestle at the age of 5 and I really loved him very much!(only till the day I came to know that there were people like Taker, Rock, HHH, HBK, SCSA also in the business :D) I still like him and I beleive, those who watched him in his days also like him but I see so many people saying that he sucks, fucks, whatever. Why? What wrong has he done?
He looks down on the wrestling industry, he keeps coming back because he cant save his money and cant get a stable merchandinsing contract or a movie career to save his life(nowadays that almost litterally), He has given some of the worst main events possible, he has turned this psuedo sport into a B-Movie syndicate, doesnt know how to run a company without making it an infinate love letter to himself, never lets the clearly supirior future over him, Cant move on with his life, thinks he is bigger than he really is,

· Registered
6,867 Posts
I respect Hulk Hogan the figure; the hero who made kids eat their vitamins, and the man who revolutionized wrestling as we know it, and the man who quite possibly single-handed forced the WWE to make the Attitude Era in the wake of his heel turn, the greatest heel turn in history.

I don't respect Hogan the person; the scumbag who refused to put over new talent, who made a mockery of himself and every business he claimed he would take to the top, and a man who just became outright selfish and didn't do anything for anyone but himself. He screwed so many people over that it's unforgivable.

· Registered
795 Posts
you got to see him in one of the best matches of WM history. I dont like him i use to when i was 10 and didnt understand how wrestling works. to answer your question is mainly because he just wont stop. For me him and flair disgraced the WWE when they went to TNA there WWE hall of famers for crying out loud. he also has a huge EGO and wants everything his way and held on to the spot light for far too long. and he has never really passed the torch, everytime he came back to do a main event like summerslam he wouldnt put the other guy over. yer heput lesner over and The Rock at WM 18 but after that he won the WWE title at backlash something he never needed. hes just old and washed up i watched him on TNA and he just cant do anything anymore his promos were the worse thing in the world all though TNA cant shoot backstadge promos for shit they do that weird camera follow shit that i just cant get use to and everyone just fucks up their lines to the point of not knowing whats going on and have heel changes every week.

· Registered
795 Posts
I fully respect Hulk Hogan for what he did for the wrestling industry and i am constantly saying how no matter what anyone else says Hulk Hogan is the single biggest star that wrestling has ever seen and i include Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock when i say that as well. Even if you speak to someone who doesn't watch wrestling and never has done if you say Hulk Hogan to them they will know exactly who you mean whereas not everyone will know Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.

The reason though that he gets so much hate is because of what has always gone on behind the scenes as he is known for being a career politician who has deliberately held others back for the benefit of himself. Regardless of what Hulk Hogan thought was best for him he could have used his star power to help the business as anyone beating him would have been taken to another level which would have helped WWE make more money.

I can list Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Mr Perfect, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton as people who he refused to put over because he didn't want to work with them despite what Vince McMahon wanted him to do or because he didn't believe they were on his level. Then you look at what he did in WCW in which he refused to put anyone over clean despite being a heel for around three years and this includes Sting who had a year and half build up towards going over at Starrcade in 1997 and then was given a tainted win so Hulk Hogan didn't look weak.

Having watched wrestling since 1988 i have seen almost all of Hulk Hogan's run at the top outside of the first four years although i did watch WrestleMania 3 through to 1988 on VHS video and outside of The Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg and The Rock how many people have beaten Hulk Hogan clean in his whole career. When you are the top star it is your job to help further the business by using that star power to help others be built up but what Hulk Hogan has done throughout his whole career even well after his prime is look out for himself and act in a selfish manner to feed his ego, even to this day he honestly believes that he is a HUGE draw and the main man.

^^^ this

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.