Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We heard how the dirt sheets reported how there would be a mass exodus from WWE. We thought Orton was one name heading to AEW, nope. We thought Punk would go to AEW, nope. It’s weird how no big names outside of Jericho and Mox want to jump ship.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Probably fear that the company wont make it and can fail. Now adays people want a financial pay check assured. Orton probably wasnt interesting in AEW (maybe he was who knows), but he used AEW as leverage to get a sweet contract to stay with the company. Orton is pretty much done he probably will go 5 years before he calls it quits. As for Punk I don't know I feel that he wants the Lesnar treatment which he probably will get it. For Vince to keep Punk off AEW he will be more than happy to pay him that amount or close to it. I feel AEW didn't approach him properly so their wasnt much communication.

It just comes down to financial stability. No matter what as of now WWE is the big giant with tons of cash and potential compared to the little companies.

Also to note Khan he apparently is a billionaire as maybe more money than Vince, but you have to remember the guy can pull out anytime. If he sees AEW isnt generating him profit he might just sell the company or run out. WWE still has tons of cash flow upfloat.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,366 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Because nobody wants to jump to a new promotion, it fail, and then go crawling back to Vince with their tail between their legs, once the company has been around a few years you might see bigger names jumping, think of Kurt Angle jumping to TNA for example.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Because WWE has the money to turn talents' eyes into dollar signs.

Do you honestly think all else equal, a person would work for WWE over a company that allows greater creative freedom?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah but Khan is richer than McMahon. It’s a weird situation...has you kinda worried about the future of the company

Yeah, but WWE income is basically unlimited because of their tv deals, etc. No smart businessman uses his own money to over-spend on the product. Tony is spending good money, but being wise about it. Don't want a TNA situation where they signed every ex-wwe has-been in existence, just because.

If the company is gonna be successful longterm, they have to build their own stars.

AEW is doing well, they don't have to do the same thing WWE does and just sign talent for the sake of keeping them from other organizations

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
WWE has the most money.
Yeah but Khan is richer than McMahon. It’s a weird situation...has you kinda worried about the future of the company
Well to be fair, Tony Khan's father is richer than Vince. Same goes for Dixie Carter's father. Not everyone is going to be willing to lose millions a year like Ted Turner was. I like CM Punk, but he would not be a true game changer like Hogan was for WCW. I have no doubt AEW would have loved to get Punk or Orton, but there is only so much money they are going to throw at someone, especially this early on.

·
Registered
500 Posts
AEW is a new promotion who has not proven sustainability and the owner is not throwing money like WCW. Wrestlers have to do what best for them and their families.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
It's funny how almost everyone in this thread is a WWE apologist from the WWE section growing a pube and thinking they got something on AEW.

Punk took it deep and turned around and said more please. If I learned a thing about him over the past five years of him bitching it's that he's a pretty toxic guy.

Randy was never leaving HHH. Randy doesn't give a shit about anything besides making money. When has he ever given anyone the impression that he's interested in changing the status quo? He made the status quo.

You're all buying into your own bullshit like it mattered.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Cause AEW is new, maybe in 5 to 10 years time you might see it happening more regularly but right now it's a massive risk for any top unhappy WWE talent wanting to jump ship. Until AEW finds a spot in the Wrestling world and is doing great shows, doing good business at shows and still offers creative decisions to talent and pulls in good ratings in this wrestling climate, then you might see a big name who's unhappy jump ship.

Moxley was going to do it no matter if AEW wasn't around as he clearly had enough. Jericho would have been happy enough doing the odd booking with NJPW and working with his band.

I don't see WWE big names been really unhappy, they get paid a ton of money, are on TV a lot and headline the big shows and stuff. You might get a Mox or Jericho who might leave, but that's a rare case. The talent I would expect to leave would be upper mid card talent or talent who are great but are misused in WWE. I don't expect main eventers to leave WWE.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
It's funny how almost everyone in this thread is a WWE apologist from the WWE section growing a pube and thinking they got something on AEW.

Punk took it deep and turned around and said more please. If I learned a thing about him over the past five years of him bitching it's that he's a pretty toxic guy.

Randy was never leaving HHH. Randy doesn't give a shit about anything besides making money. When has he ever given anyone the impression that he's interested in changing the status quo? He made the status quo.

Punk was going with whoever was going to pay him more, simple as. Plus he's probably only doing the Backstage thing with WWE, as he's dealing with Fox not WWE, is getting paid the same amount to do a part time job with Fox then take any crazy bumps. I still stand by he won't wrestle.

Orton is in his not arsed period of his career, he knew WWE was going to give him crazy money to stay. all these hints of AEW, was just him scaring WWE into offering him more money. He doesn't seem the type that would want to work too hard, and for AEW he would need to have his working boots on. And I doubt he would be up for that. He's happy doing whatever in WWE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Surprised noone has mentioned that these guys have contracts, and WWE have been incredibly strict on not letting guys out of their contracts recently - in no small part due to the AEW threat. See Sin Cara, Harper, The Revival.

If AEW continues to run like it is at the moment for a few years, we may find more WWE guys not re-signing and instead waiting out their contract before jumping ship.

That said, the other points are valid too. Generally, the big-name guys have all the security they want at WWE, and they're getting TV time, so many may see little reason for risk.

I'd bet a fair few big names are heavily tempted by the freedom at AEW, though.

·
Banned
884 Posts

100% agree about Punk. AEW is better off without him. He seems like a total cunt - massively inflated sense of his own worth, massively overrates himself as a performer, rants against WWE for years but when the money dries up he drops to his knees and spreads his cheeks. Sell out.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
100% agree about Punk. AEW is better off without him. He seems like a total cunt - massively inflated sense of his own worth, massively overrates himself as a performer, rants against WWE for years but when the money dries up he drops to his knees and spreads his cheeks. Sell out.
I honestly didn't give a shit if he ever came back. It's not even about him in AEW.

If anything I wanted him to go to New Japan and test himself. I wanted him to wrestle guys like Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Ibushi and put his money where his mouth is. The only guy he ever wrestled worth a damn in WWE was Bryan as far as real wrestlers go. But I guess he got enough of being exposed in the UFC. It's easy to call yourself the best in the world in a talent vacuum like WWE.

Bottom line is WWE knew if he went anywhere else it would've been a huge blow to them so Stamford sent a Brinks truck to Chicago to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
First of all, Moxley Pac and Jericho ARE big names, as is Omega and the Bucks.

Second of all, the other "big guys" you are thinking of are not driven motivated HUNGRY people who want wrestling freedom more than anything else. Orton is a lazy dick. I was HOPING Punk would be the type of guy who cared about wrestling outside of the WWE system, but no. He'd rather go work in a FOX show that talks about modern WWE, which outside of NXT is GARBAGE and not worth a fucking talk show about.

Who else is considered a "big name" in wrestling in 2019 who's not there? Rollins? Roman? Cena? I wouldn't count out Bryan quite yet, but he does have a family to provide for, so security is probably appealing to him.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Are you guys really that butthurt that a 40 years old with a Broken Body isn't gonna take timeslot from younger guys?

1 - 20 of 277 Posts