Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread was inspired by the Deuce and Domino one, which got me thinking about how every WWE tag team seems to go the same way. Debut, win the titles, lose the titles, break up within a year, get released. Does no one in WWE realize that this almost never works out for the guys involved, and it also keeps the Tag Division ridiculously thin. Is it a dislike for tag teams? Does WWE just not care?

·
Registered
23,897 Posts
The common line that you hear in shoot interviews is that WWE don't like tag-team wrestling because it means paying 2 guys to do the work of 1. Now you could take that 1 of 2 ways either:

a) They're just bitter about not having a job so try and claim that the WWE have some kind of vendetta against them and tag-team wrestling.
or
b) They have actual insider knowledge and word has got to them that this is how it's going down in the WWE at the moment.

·
Banned
190 Posts
cause they lost fate on the tag team division simple as that

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The common line that you hear in shoot interviews is that WWE don't like tag-team wrestling because it means paying 2 guys to do the work of 1. Now you could take that 1 of 2 ways either:

a) They're just bitter about not having a job so try and claim that the WWE have some kind of vendetta against them and tag-team wrestling.
or
b) They have actual insider knowledge and word has got to them that this is how it's going down in the WWE at the moment.
But they didn't seem to mind during the Attitude Era, when there were about a dozen tag teams at any given time. WM 2000 had more tag matches than singles.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I remember reading that WWE doesnt see tag team matches as a draw. So they dont really focus on tag teams that much. It's a shame because I think that they do draw when the teams are good.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My guess is that there isn't a lot of suitable tag wrestlers currently. I mean, we have a russian and an Italian together.
Where are the gimmicks? Deuce and Domino (by the way OP, where is that thread that you mentioned?) were 1960 greaser-looking dudes. La Resistance- two frenchmen. Legacy/DiBiase & Rhodes- two young 2nd Gen Superstars. Cade & Murdoch - two southern guys. The Highlanders - Scottish men

There's none of that. All we have is the Hart Dynasty whose looking like they're currently on their own and The Uso's whose tremendously fast push towards the HD's tag Titles is leading them to tv time on Superstars (and we all know what we think of Superstars).

·
Banned
2,204 Posts
because in peoples minds since contact sport titles are all singles belts and nothing more the whole world belives that it should be the same in wrestling and so therefore the singles heavyweight title will always be the one important belt, nothing else matters

but seriouslty how hard is it for wwe to make tag teams?

Jack Swagger/Ziggler
Kingston/R-Truth
Primo/Alberto
Sheamus/Drew McIntyre
Miz/Zach Ryder

·
Charismatic Enigma
4,327 Posts
No idea. & that really sucks you know? I miss looking foward to tag team matches...Curt hawkins and vance archer were my favorite the moment I saw them and then what? Yeah. Split

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The tag team division hasn't been important since 2001. In fact Shane once told Kendrick and London that he hasn't cared about a tag team since LOD left the WWF at that's like 1998. I think that answers your question right there.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
14,509 Posts
because in peoples minds since contact sport titles are all singles belts and nothing more the whole world belives that it should be the same in wrestling and so therefore the singles heavyweight title will always be the one important belt, nothing else matters

but seriouslty how hard is it for wwe to make tag teams?

Jack Swagger/Ziggler
Kingston/R-Truth
Primo/Alberto
Sheamus/Drew McIntyre
Miz/Zach Ryder
what a waste to put some of those talented people with the trash you have them with.

first of all, the brand split makes it hard, at least for them to have a tag division with depth. they don't like having their singles wrestlers be in tag teams, they don't like having them do both at the same time. they made that OBVIOUS when they gave miz the US title and tag title, and he never did shit with the US title but hold it up and smile at it.

so techincally when you toss them in the tag divison, your're booting them out of the singles for the most part, and i just don't think they really care enough to bother organizing all that. there's not THAT much talent in the WWE that they could make a bunch of great teams, tbh.

·
Registered
276 Posts
what a waste to put some of those talented people with the trash you have them with.

first of all, the brand split makes it hard, at least for them to have a tag division with depth. they don't like having their singles wrestlers be in tag teams, they don't like having them do both at the same time. they made that OBVIOUS when they gave miz the US title and tag title, and he never did shit with the US title but hold it up and smile at it.

so techincally when you toss them in the tag divison, your're booting them out of the singles for the most part, and i just don't think they really care enough to bother organizing all that. there's not THAT much talent in the WWE that they could make a bunch of great teams, tbh.
What about some of the wrestlers that never get used?

Yoshi Tatsu & Evan Bourne would make an entertaining and competitive team. JTG and R Truth? William Regal and Chris Masters never get used properly, and they both have the submission thing going for them- why not put them together? And how entertaining would it be to have Goldust & Cody Rhodes on the same team?

A good tag team division CAN exist with the current talent that they have without impeding on the singles division.

·
Just Remember
1,118 Posts
If it's not a draw anymore then it's the WWE's fault. There was a period of several years when the tag team division consisted of the kinds of teams listed earlier - Deuce and Domino, Cade and Murdoch, the fucking Highlanders. And with two sets of belts as well. Who the fuck is going to pay to see that shit? Not even the proper wrestling fans would be into that.

And all this during a period when the likes of the Briscoes, America's Most Wanted., the Kings of Wrestling and the Motor-City Machine Guns were on hot streaks, and then a little more recently we've had the emergence of Beer Money Inc., American Wolves and the Young Bucks. It defies logic. It's been proven that even if tag team wrestling doesn't draw in and of itself, if you take it seriously it'll produce results. Even right up to today, Edge and Jeff Hardy are where they are (or were, in Hardy's case) because they threw themselves off shitloads of ladders way back when. And they were only able to do that because the tag division got given time to shine. There's a good reason Matt Hardy still got big pops years after he'd ceased to be relevant in any way, and why Christian would be over as hell the second they choose to push him - everyone still remembers what great teams they used to be a part of.

So the WWE doesn't think tag team wrestling can draw or create stars for them anymore? I call bullshit. If Vinnie opened his chequebook and brought in MCMG, the Young Bucks and the Briscoes and gave them half an hour every PPV to tear the joint up, throw in a gimmick match every few months, and you've got a tag division people want to watch again. But why would we want to see that when we can watch a novelty team that only lasts 3 months anyway, or a bunch of unimpressive no-marks like the Uso's, right?

Still, I look forward to watching Jay Uso winning his 10th world title in 2020. Or chatting to that guy who stopped watching wrestling when he was 11 but still remembers the time Tyson Kidd threw himself off a 30 foot ladder through a bunch of tables just to entertain the fans. Oh. Right. Yeah. Cheers Vince.

·
also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
Same reason they treat women, junior heavyweights, hardcore wrestlers and every other form of niche wrestler like they do?

The roster has become more and more homogenised with every passing year. Generic heavyweight singles guys, doing comedy skits, are WWE's bread and butter.

·
Registered
23,897 Posts
But they didn't seem to mind during the Attitude Era, when there were about a dozen tag teams at any given time. WM 2000 had more tag matches than singles.
They were in a battle for supremacy then, they had to entertain the fans. Now the sole concern is making money and they're gunna do that wether they give us what we want or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.