Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it’s been more prominent during these empty arena shows. They make some of their characters on guest Commentary act so immature and irritatingly annoying, Street Profits, Nicki Cross, Mojo, Asuka, Usos, New Day etc. It’s like they are told to act like attention challenged children so that people are entertained. But irritating =/= entertaining.

I was watching Smackdown with my mate and he actually turned off the TV 2 minutes in the Alexa Bliss match.
I didn’t mind it, but it did get pretty ridiculous after a while. Does anybody else find this problematic?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The problem is when the talent try to be charismatic. There's a way in which you can try to do something and come across as trying too hard, and therefore, contrived in the process. For example. when a talent does a promo, he will e-nun-ci-ate his words slow-ly and de-lib-er-at-el-y, in an effort to come across as more charismatic; what it in-fact does is quite the opposite. It exposes that person as completely uncharismatic in the process. They'd fare much better off with speaking with natural cadence and focusing on what they want to say, instead of trying to over-enunciate like a broadway act. The likes of Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Ted Dibiase, Austin, Flair, didn't do this, so, talent trying to improve their promo'ing should take notes.

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Idk if those are really good examples as being loud and obnoxious is a core part of those particular wrestlers character. With the exception being that Nikki is just pure crazy and Bliss obsessed.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It sucks with few exceptions. Edge had a good not great promo and Orton too. Raw this week was better than the previous week but not by much. SD's have been pretty awful the first 2 weeks I haven't forced myself to watch last night.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think they’re trying to make noise so you’re not reminded that it’s dead ass quiet because of no crowd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I honestly don't see how it's much different than the way they've usually been acting lately. Asuka has been more over the top for a while now. Mojo might be an exception but he's basically just going back to hype mode.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Isn't that an old trope of American entertainment?

The more annoying, childish and obnoxious you are, the more the media sells you as an entertainer.

The important thing about this is to highlight how the business is exposed when there is no public with whom to interact, Stone Cold routine, YES chants, annoying heels demeanor (Zayn, The Miz), babyfaces asking for the hot tag (The New Day) without a crowd all of that looks kinda pathetic, it just highlights how artificial and planned things are in this business,

·
Registered
456 Posts
Its a show for brain dead people, or small children.

I mean, i have loved wrestling for years, i dont want to say that, but lets be honest, you watch a 2 hour Smackdown or whatever and you're just sat there thinking what is all this stupid shit.

I can guarantee that if you're flicking through channels at home and come across Nikki Cross, Asuka, Gronk, New Day etc acting lke idiots you aint staying.

Its worse than the cartoon era. Just bring back Doink and Repo Man.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Its a show for brain dead people, or small children.

I mean, i have loved wrestling for years, i dont want to say that, but lets be honest, you watch a 2 hour Smackdown or whatever and you're just sat there thinking what is all this stupid shit.

I can guarantee that if you're flicking through channels at home and come across Nikki Cross, Asuka, Gronk, New Day etc acting lke idiots you aint staying.

Its worse than the cartoon era. Just bring back Doink and Repo Man.
I want Mantaur back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't that an old trope of American entertainment?

The more annoying, childish and obnoxious you are, the more the media sells you as an entertainer.

The important thing about this is to highlight how the business is exposed when there is no public with whom to interact, Stone Cold routine, YES chants, annoying heels demeanor (Zayn, The Miz), babyfaces asking for the hot tag (The New Day) without a crowd all of that looks kinda pathetic, it just highlights how artificial and planned things are in this business,
it’s legit only WWE that are having this issue, though

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
They had Cena give the same basic annoying promo for well over a decade so this is nothing new.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You seem to have a lot of insight into how WWE think, how many of their creative meetings have you sat in on to come to this conclusion? Honestly the empty arena shows have been pretty good, so much better without an annoying crowd ruining the show.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Yes, the one-dimensional, immersion-breaking “fake” type of annoying is counterproductive, but WWE adores the simple, fake annoying tropes so the live crowd give a guaranteed Pavlovian reaction to the generic babyface who ends the bad form of entertainment.

Key phrase there:

Pavlovian live crowd (gone)

Without that, the bad form of entertainment lingers more intensely and personally.

I guess absense of crowds = all promos are accentuated for better or worse depending on quality of wrestler.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts