Wrestling Forum banner

Why Does WWE Do This?

1397 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Mr. Rager
NOTE: I am sure this topic has been made a thousand times, I'm just asking the question to see what people think, please don't run red with blood k? :)

Why Do WWE always chose one person from a successful tag team and give them a semi-decent to decent-ish Main Event Run?

Jeff Hardy over Matt Hardy
Edge over Christian
The Miz over John Morrison
The Undertaker over Kane
The Rock over Mick Foley
Bradshaw over Farooq
Bret Hart over Jim Neidhart
Steve Austin over Brian Pillman (despite his death)

There has been some exceptions, such as DX (Micheals and HHH) but IMO they're starting do to it again with guys like Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler getting more thunder than their ex-partners

Thoughts? :\
Reactions: Xist2inspire
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
504 Posts
The Rock over Mick Foley
By the time those two teamed up, they had both already main evented PPV's and won multiple titles, and continued doing so after they split up.

I think one always gets pushed more than the other because it makes the one guy who gets pushed that much stronger if he breaks out of a tag-team and does better than his former partner. It shows that he can thrive better on his own than someone else can.

· ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,325 Posts
NOTE: I am sure this topic has been made a thousand times, I'm just asking the question to see what people think, please don't run red with blood k? :)

Why Do WWE always chose one person from a successful tag team and give them a semi-decent to decent-ish Main Event Run?

Jeff Hardy over Matt Hardy
Edge over Christian
The Miz over John Morrison
The Undertaker over Kane
The Rock over Mick Foley
Bradshaw over Farooq

Bret Hart over Jim Neidhart
Steve Austin over Brian Pillman (despite his death)

There has been some exceptions, such as DX (Micheals and HHH) but IMO they're starting do to it again with guys like Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler getting more thunder than their ex-partners

Thoughts? :\
Really? Because They've all been World Champions or are going to become World Champions. It also happens because the other tag team partner is better than the other. It's Not Rocket Science People...

· Banned
3,179 Posts
You're going to start a thread like this and not mention Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty? Wow.

Onto the topic, because you can't push them both.
And usually one is way less talented than the other.

· Crazier than Santorum and Bachmann's love child
9,503 Posts
Its because lots of WWE tag teams involve one guy who is better than the other one. HBK is a better wrestler than Janetty. Undertaker is a better wrestler than Kane, and Bradshaw was a thousand times better than Farooq. We are not talking rocket science here.

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Its because lots of WWE tag teams involve one guy who is better than the other one. HBK is a better wrestler than Janetty. Undertaker is a better wrestler than Kane, and Bradshaw was a thousand times better than Farooq. We are not talking rocket science here.
^True, but I will say this......

They just chose the person that's more over. Simple.
....Choosing the wrestler who's "more over" isn't always the right decision. Jeff was more over, but Matt always could wrestle rings around him. Edge is "more over" than Christian, but Christian is better than Edge in just about every way possible.

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, Whoa, calm down :\

I'm just spit balling, no need to rip my nuts off and beat me over the head with them, I get the whole concept behind it all...

Taker/Kane weren't really a note worthy tag team, but everytime these two teamed up or teased teaming up everyone would skitz at the thought of it...

As for Foley/Rock... I hardly count Foley's 2xmonth long reigns and one day long reign a passive mush...

and I understand that some had leagues better talent and charisma, e.g. Miz & Rock

I'm just throwing the question out there why hasn't WWE given guys like Neidhart, Christian and Matt Hardy even a little test of their abilities?

....Choosing the wrestler who's "more over" isn't always the right decision. Jeff was more over, but Matt always could wrestle rings around him. Edge is "more over" than Christian, but Christian is better than Edge in just about every way possible.
EXACTLY my point!

· ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,325 Posts
Ok, Whoa, calm down :\

I'm just spit balling, no need to rip my nuts off and beat me over the head with them, I get the whole concept behind it all...

Taker/Kane weren't really a note worthy tag team, but everytime these two teamed up or teased teaming up everyone would skitz at the thought of it...

As for Foley/Rock... I hardly count Foley's 2xmonth long reigns and one day long reign a passive mush...

and I understand that some had leagues better talent and charisma, e.g. Miz & Rock

I'm just throwing the question out there why hasn't WWE given guys like Neidhart, Christian and Matt Hardy even a little test of their abilities?
They were given there chances with mid card runs. As for Neidhart, he sucked and just didn't have any tools for him to become big.

· Registered
654 Posts
Undertaker and Kane don't belong on this list. Kane was brought in to feud with Taker as his evil brother out for revenge for Taker disfiguring Kane when they were both kids. They did not team together until much, much later.

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Hello :), in answer to your question, it's probably because when tag teams split, they feud, and only one man can come out of that feud looking good. Then, it's usually a matter of which superstar takes his opportunity and runs with it. Take DiBiase and Rhodes. WWE clearly wanted Ted to be the "next big thing" out of that team, but Rhodes was able to take the Dashing character he was given and go with it, while DiBiase has failed to make something of himself despite all the time he's been given on Raw and NXT.

Usually, WWE does give the "other" guys a good chance to make it in the midcard.
-Matt Hardy (Twice, V1 and Edge/Lita feud, near main-event push)
-Christian (Nearly got to the main event, WWE aborted it *sigh*)
-JoMo (Numerous opportunities, especially on Smackdown, finally seems to be making his mark)

The key for the "other" guys is really consistency, that's what the WWE is looking for. They know that the other partner will always be over, which may be why they let the others fall to the midcard, to see if they have what it takes to overcome their handicaps, handicaps that their partner didn't have, handicaps that keep them from becoming main-eventers.

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Btw is hello lysdexic or just making a joke?
The 'Passive Mush' comment?

it's a joke Hornswoggle, soz to confuse you i'll dumb it down to Cena talk and just call him it a 'Cracker Jack' or whatever it is you kids say...

· Registered
40 Posts
Tag teams are pretty much the NXT inside the brand. Whoever is moreover the better performer gets a shot at becoming a main event headline. While the other tag team partner bites the dust.

In very few cases do the other neglected partner gets what he deserves, Mick Foley for one.

· Registered
545 Posts

Right decision on what basis? From a business perspective, it only makes sense to push the guy who is more popular.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.