Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as Vince Russo gets bashed for putting the WCW championship on himself and David Arquette? :confused:

Perhaps he has but I only read about how Russo is a moron for putting the title on non-wrestlers, yet McMahon did the same thing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Re: Why does Vince McMahon not get bashed for putting the WWE championship on himself

I think he has been bashed.... its just that it happened over 10 years ago and no one really cares that much anymore cause its not really brought up

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Re: Why does Vince McMahon not get bashed for putting the WWE championship on himself

apples and oranges , when vince won the title he vacaned it the next week on raw in order to build up the six pack challenge for unforgiven , he never even defended it , so it was part of the storyline and adding fuel to the austin/hhh/rock feud ..

sure it might have not been the smartest idea but it actually helped the feud

as for David Arquette , not only was it a dumb publicity stunt , but he actually held the title for a while and defended it against jarret and DDP , how in the hell does that make sense ? an actor who never wrestled a match in his life is actually hanging with two wrestlers with a load of experience ?

also there is another fact that could be important to some people :

when vince won it , it was a single one-on-one match between hhh and vince , hhh dominated until austin interfered and cost him the match , and hhh was pissed off as hell losing his belt ..

when David won it , it was a tag match with him and DDP , and after he won it , they showed DDP happy and excited even tho he lost the title , so it kind of devalued it by having a wrestler losing the title to an actor and not giving a damn right after that happened

·
Registered
694 Posts

I'm pretty sure during that time period people probably bashed him.

·
Registered
200 Posts

McMahon was involved in the biggest feud in wrestling at the time so it made at least a little sense. And McMahon has actually been in some, somehow entertaining matches in his career.

McMahon vs. Austin
McMahon vs. HBK
McMahon vs. Hogan
McMahon vs. Flair were all pretty entertaining.

McMahon vs. Bret Hart however was a total flop.

Russo on the other hand, often no-selled moves, and was involved in some of the most disgraceful matches in the history of wrestling. McMahon also actually has a tremendous physique, while Russo looks like a bum.

Arquette was just a publicity stunt.

·
Asuka
96,236 Posts

Well, Vince was, at least an occasional wrestler, and the owner of the company, and it heated up a feud with him and Triple H, so whether they were good reasons or not, there was at least some precedent for putting the title on him.

WCW just exposed the business. Putting the title on an actor for a publicity stunt is bad, putting it on Russo was probably even worse. I didn't watch WCW then, but I'm going to assume that with everything going on and the amount of kayfabe being broken that Vince Russo was acknowledged on television as a WCW writer. If that's the case, then that's just unforgivable. You NEVER admit to having writers. Now if they didn't, well, everybody still knew about it anyway and there was so much bullshit going on and there was no purpose to it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

It's just a belt.
I got no probs with russo,arquett,vince,cena holding it.

Just a storyline mechanism to move things forward.

·
Registered
932 Posts

I only hated when Vince put the ECW Title on himself.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts

David Arquette as champion was stupid but him going toe to toe with DDP and Jarrett was no different than the countless celebrities who come in and go toe to toe with the WWE stars.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

People respect McMahon more than they do Russo.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts

McMahon was involved in the biggest feud in wrestling at the time so it made at least a little sense. And McMahon has actually been in some, somehow entertaining matches in his career.

McMahon vs. Austin
McMahon vs. HBK
McMahon vs. Hogan
McMahon vs. Flair were all pretty entertaining.

McMahon vs. Bret Hart however was a total flop.

Russo on the other hand, often no-selled moves, and was involved in some of the most disgraceful matches in the history of wrestling. McMahon also actually has a tremendous physique, while Russo looks like a bum.

Arquette was just a publicity stunt.
How could you forget McMahon vs. McMahon?

I still smile and mark out when Linda sits up from the chair.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts

Vince got bashed by the IWC...of 10 years ago.

Today's IWC don't give a damn cause anything Attitude Era>sex.

·
Registered
692 Posts

It was part of a great storyline... thats why

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

He's arguably the best heel of the Attitude era and was pretty jacked at that time, so at least it was a bit believable he could hang with Austin and friends.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Vince Mcmahon is one of the greatest wrestling characters of all time. He is a huge guy who looks like he could actually win a fight. He is not some writer or actor.

How is this even a question, how can somebody compare Vince Mcmahon to those two?

Vince Mcmahon could beat up Christian in a fist fight at his current age.

·
Asuka
96,236 Posts

Vince Mcmahon is one of the greatest wrestling characters of all time. He is a huge guy who looks like he could actually win a fight. He is not some writer or actor.

How is this even a question, how can somebody compare Vince Mcmahon to those two?

Vince Mcmahon could beat up Christian in a fist fight at his current age.
It's not winning when your opponent gets fired for hitting you.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Well, Vince was, at least an occasional wrestler, and the owner of the company, and it heated up a feud with him and Triple H, so whether they were good reasons or not, there was at least some precedent for putting the title on him.

WCW just exposed the business. Putting the title on an actor for a publicity stunt is bad, putting it on Russo was probably even worse. I didn't watch WCW then, but I'm going to assume that with everything going on and the amount of kayfabe being broken that Vince Russo was acknowledged on television as a WCW writer. If that's the case, then that's just unforgivable. You NEVER admit to having writers. Now if they didn't, well, everybody still knew about it anyway and there was so much bullshit going on and there was no purpose to it.
Reminds me of when Russo admitted that Goldberg refused to follow the script and WCW actually ran a ppv ad with that tagline

·
HEADBANGA
21,309 Posts

I'm sure even at Vince's age he could legit beat the shit out of your mark ass if he wanted to. He was roided as fuck back in the day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts