Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch any "classic" Flair or Benoit match and the majority of it is just chop, chop, chop over and over
Flair v Steamboat is mainly a chopfest and smarks jizz themselves over it
But why? Whats so technical about a friggin' chop to the chest?
Hitting someone with 50 chops = *********** match?

And why arent Khali's matches ******* masterpieces? He does a chop. Hypocritical much?

"chops hurt - and in my opinion they look like crap."

Guess who said that? Bret Hart. And I agree.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Can't say as I know of any smarks that wet themselves over chops. From what I've seen, it's primarily the casual fans that are doing the "woo" shit, because Flair is one of the few old time wrestlers they even know of. It really is sad to me to hear the "woo" every time someone does the chop, as it was once part of a character, and now it's basically meaningless. It's much like the "what" chants. They once had something special attached to them, but over the years they've become so annoying, and used in such ridiculous spots, that they have managed to ruin promos that the chants didn't even fit with one bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hate chops.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Can't say as I know of any smarks that wet themselves over chops. From what I've seen, it's primarily the casual fans that are doing the "woo" shit, because Flair is one of the few old time wrestlers they even know of. It really is sad to me to hear the "woo" every time someone does the chop, as it was once part of a character, and now it's basically meaningless. It's much like the "what" chants. They once had something special attached to them, but over the years they've become so annoying, and used in such ridiculous spots, that they have managed to ruin promos that the chants didn't even fit with one bit.
This all over.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No one likes chops except stupid people that still chant wooooo at WWE events. Its all about the YES! kicks!

·
Banned
8,732 Posts
I like chops. They're a good alternative to punching because lord knows few wrestlers can actually strike believably and safely. The sheer thudding sound of a crop is a great thing imo.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I like chops. They're a good alternative to punching because lord knows few wrestlers can actually strike believably and safely. The sheer thudding sound of a crop is a great thing imo.
Exactly. If everyone could throw a punch like Bret, or Hogan, then fine. But chops are a good alternative. That visual of a red, puffed up chest after a good chop fest is awesome and sells the "realness".

·
Registered
873 Posts
Are we going to be getting these smark baiting questions on a regular basis, cause these are really easy, OP. Are you going to even try?

Chops are effective because they add stiffness to a match, without risking the performers well being. They also provide good moments of drama. If you no sell a chop, it's dramatic while still being believable. But once again, and I'm hoping this may actually sink in if I repeat it with small enough words: It all comes down to context. Context. Context. Learn what that word means.

Personally I prefer the European uppercut for moves that look stiff but pose no real threat. If you actually knew anything about IWC, you'd know that many of us like different moves.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
-Linked to nostalgia; associated with McDaniel, Flair, Kobashi, etc.
-They make noise; audio assists the visual impact that most moves solely rely upon
-They're weird; nobody fights like that in real life, so it's fun to watch here

Pack all that into a move that takes less than a second and you're likely to have something popular.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
They are simply awesome, also love that aggressive sound when they connect. WOOOOOOOOOO!

And aside from Ric Flair, it's Chris fucking Benoit that did them which automatically makes it awesome!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Can't say i've even seen people talk about chops very often. Always figured the casuals love them though.

They play a part in matches and i see their use, but never knew they were a dealbreaker and IWC lovefest.

Also ALL Khali seems to do is chops, he doesn't have many other moves.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Can't say i've even seen people talk about chops very often. Always figured the casuals love them though.

They play a part in matches and i see their use, but never knew they were a dealbreaker and IWC lovefest.

Also ALL Khali seems to do is chops, he doesn't have many other moves.
Ding, ding, ding, ding! It's one thing to have sick chops giving the match that extra "mmmph" but it's not like the matches are just chops.

·
Haters gonna hate
118 Posts
They are good with gravy and we get to shout wooooooooooooooooooooo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts