Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im no old school, and i hear all the time about him when something goes wrong/laughable, was he really that bad? can someone explain to me what he did in his career to be considered the joke when it comes to bad booking.

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Making David Arquette WCW Champ although I don't hate him at all and I think there were 100x worst booking decisions made by other WWE writers but considering it's The Evil Russo that did it, people will hold a grudge until the day he dies.

·
You Spoony Bard
9,920 Posts
Some view him as evil incarnate. Like the Arquette thing mentioned, he made some awful decisions. But he also made some awesome ones, and Raw was entertaining every week when he was at the helm, so you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. :draper2

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If we acknowledge Russo's bad decisions, like putting the title on Arquette and Goldberg not following the script then we should also give him credit for getting the highest TV rating for a segment in wrestling history.
His highs were so far ahead of most but unfortunately so were his lows.
I certainly don't hate him like Cornette does :lol and blaming him for Owen's death is ridiculous.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
Mainly due to some of the bad booking decisions he made in TNA and WCW. He was pretty good in WWF though and was an instrumental part in the success of the Attitude Era.
I like listening to his podcast and his interviews. He seems like a decent guy.

·
Butter My Arse
11,753 Posts
He did well in the Attitude Era (most of the time) but that was because none of that stuff had been done before, and was mostly a representation of the whole 90s Gen-X culture at the time. It was mostly trash TV but it was fresh and he did put a focus on nearly everybody on the roster to be fair. He decided to try and one-up himself though when he went to WCW and it was trash. Nonsensical and quite baffling.

I'd take him any day though over the utter swill the writers come up with today.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Because his booking decisions are blamed for a part in the fall of WCW. By some in the industry he's seen as a 'TV writer' and not really a fan of wrestling in itself. On another level he's responsible for influencing the general trend in the wrestling industry to move away from actual wrestling time and favoring soap opera.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Making David Arquette WCW Champ although I don't hate him at all and I think there were 100x worst booking decisions made by other WWE writers but considering it's The Evil Russo that did it, people will hold a grudge until the day he dies.
It wasn't his idea even though he did think it was a great idea they way he explained it, I guess it wasn't that bad.

I don't mind the guy he is creative but needs a guy like Vince. Some mad crazy ideas he has had a times though.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Aaannnd

Brawl for All

So keep in mind that they went with this stupid shit idea to have the wrestlers to ACTUALLY fight each other (Untrained). So they go through the tournament and multiple wrestlers get legitimate injuries, the winner turns out to be Bart Gunn. You would think that they would push him as some legitimate tough guy right? No, they bring in a real boxer at WM and have him kick the shit out of Gunn in seconds.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Im no old school, and i hear all the time about him when something goes wrong/laughable, was he really that bad? can someone explain to me what he did in his career to be considered the joke when it comes to bad booking.
I love Vince Russo's WWF run in the late 90s, and his first 2/3 months with WCW in 1999. He did a lot of good stuff that changed the business.

But, ever since then, he's always just been really, really loud. And we listen to him, because of all the good that he did in the late 90's. But, breaking it down, he just always seems to "have a plan to save" whatever and it never has paid off. When he promised a major angle coming out of Starrcade '99 and it wound up being another nWo reunion, I think he lost a lot of credibility there.

Even recently in interviews, he's talked about an angle he had that was going to save the WWE when he came back in 2002 that involved Shane and Stephanie fighting or somesuch, which would have been coming off of YEARS of McMahon in-fighting. Even with the changed creative staff in WWE, he just didn't seem to have a lot to offer.

For a guy who was very innovative in the late 90s, everything since then hasn't been very innovative and that's a lot of the problem with Vince Russo since the Monday Night Wars. He walked the walk, but at some point, he developed a limp.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Goldberg not following the script was awesome! Too bad there was no follow through.

The only thing that sucked about Russo in WCW was Oklahoma and that was because Ed Ferrera sucked at imitating Jim Ross.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, I got banned for strongly disaproving his role in the death of Owen Hart (and might get banned for mentioning it again outside of the rants section in this post), so it looks like some people in high places do have love for him.

As a booker, I'm a fan of his though. Stupid or not, he does bring an element of irreverence and unpredictability that makes for good converstation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts