Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News flash: He KILLED TWO PEOPLE! He didn't just kill two people; he killed his FAMILY, which consisted of a helpless woman, a seven year old child!

Here, let me go down the list of all the bullshit excuses I've heard.

Yes, the last three days of his life were fucked up, but he was a great WRESTLER!
The events of his last three days cancel everything else he's done, up to that point, out.

Will O.J. ever be remembered for his football career? No! Why should Benoit be any different! He killed two people, and managed to avoid prison time. What's different about this situation?

He had brain damage!
Duh! Of course he wasn't right in the head! He killed two people!

I have Asperger Syndrome; THAT'S a mental disorder! BENOIT is a fucking murderer! You can THINK whatever you want, but there's the a big difference between having a thought, and acting on that thought. You can be attracted to little kids, if you want; it's when you actually start having sex with them, that it becomes a problem.

So far, everything I've heard has been a variation of these two things. Can someone please give me an INTELLIGENT reason for why Benoit should be remembered and respected?

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
He's probably the best in-ring worker in history of pro wrestling. You need to make difference between art and artist.

Reactions: LEON4L

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets respect for the same reason you`re allowed to continue posting. Nobody fucking knows.
No, I'm allowed to continue posting because I haven't broken any rules.

Benoit has committed the most heinous act that one can possibly commit against one's fellow man.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what masters of their craft usually get.
Oh, so, should we respect Hitler for being a master orator, able to seduce an entire country to his will?

I mean, he used it for horrible, horrible things, but he was one of the best in the world at it! Should we respect him?

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,554 Posts
No one is saying Chris Benoit the man should be respected. However, his body of work is hard to ignore. And many people can't separate the show from the person. The person may of been fucked up, that has nothing to do with the show. The work should be remembered, the matches should be remembered. There is no way around the fact that they were great. The person? He can rot in hell.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
News flash: He KILLED TWO PEOPLE! He didn't just kill two people; he killed his FAMILY, which consisted of a helpless woman, a seven year old child!

Here, let me go down the list of all the bullshit excuses I've heard.

Yes, the last three days of his life were fucked up, but he was a great WRESTLER!
The events of his last three days cancel everything else he's done, up to that point, out.

Will O.J. ever be remembered for his football career? No! Why should Benoit be any different! He killed two people, and managed to avoid prison time. What's different about this situation?

He had brain damage!
Duh! Of course he wasn't right in the head! He killed two people!

I have Asperger Syndrome; THAT'S a mental disorder! BENOIT is a fucking murderer! You can THINK whatever you want, but there's the a big difference between having a thought, and acting on that thought. You can be attracted to little kids, if you want; it's when you actually start having sex with them, that it becomes a problem.

So far, everything I've heard has been a variation of these two things. Can someone please give me an INTELLIGENT reason for why Benoit should be remembered and respected?
if WWE doesnt recognize the man , why should we? he never existed:gun:

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
I still cant believe some people say that he didnt kill them or that they deserved it.

That came from the mouth of one of the posters that was here before(Austin101).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
He is respected for the work he put into his career, everyone has their own opinions, should really not affect you what people think.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Some people can seperate his work from his life, some people can't. I think Kurt Cobain was a pussy for going out that way and leaving his daughter without a father, but I still love Bleach.

It essentially comes down to the fact that you can respect the art, but not the artist. Benoit may be the least deserving person of your respect personally, but he was something else within the ring. It's the inverse of why people may dislike Cena as a worker, but respect him as a person for how he conducts himself.

For what it's worth, a mental health problem sustained through years of head injuries is no less 'real' than a condition like Aspergers, or any other. It absolutely doesn't excuse what he did, but it explains a small part of it. Sometimes that's enough.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
cause everyone thinks he is innocent that it was his wifes ex and all that garbage cause there wasnt "conclusive evidence." Everyone has become a DT overnight havent you heard ? Was benoit a good wrestler ? absolutely, but what he did has ruined that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure, if you're judging Hitler as an orator.
You have officially denounced all credibility for anything that you say.

However, his body of work is hard to ignore.
Really? I seem to ignore it, just fine!

Besides, that doesn't justify all the "RIP Benoit" videos that plague youtube.

The work should be remembered, the matches should be remembered.
Justify that to me.

There is no way around the fact that they were great.
Well, now, they leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

The person? He can rot in hell.
I agree, but remembering his work is akin to remembering the person. Leonardo da Vinci is looking down from Heaven, now, smiling because we remember his Mona Lisa. That's the only true kind of "immortality" that genuinely exists.

if WWE doesnt recognize the man , why should we? he never existed:gun:
Thank you!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Nobody on here really knows Benoit outside of wrestling so don't see how they can respect him outside of wrestling based on the main facts they knew about him outside of wrestling, but don't see how that stops them from recognizing chris benoit the wrestler.

Don't even think of benoit as a person, just think of benoit as a name in wwe history who did all the things in the wwe and wcw that he did.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
Because I judge him on his wrestling, which he worked his ass off in to entertain me.

What he did in his personal life is none of my business, nor should it be to anyone else.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There you go, then. Benoit is still respected by some people because there aren`t any rules for who you choose to respect.

/thread
Yes there are!

Society as a whole makes those rules!

Is there a "rule" for how you're supposed to greet people in Japan? Yes. Who makes that rule? That Japanese society does!

He is respected for the work he put into his career,
Asked and answered.

everyone has their own opinions,
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

should really not affect you what people think.
It affects me because it disgusts me.

For what it's worth, a mental health problem sustained through years of head injuries is no less 'real' than a condition like Aspergers, or any other.
I never said it wasn't. Stop strawmanning.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
there's a difference between acknowledging someone for their work, and for respecting them.

since you had to bring up the Hitler thing, the most cliche fucking thing to do ever in an argument which pretty much means you've failed already, Hitler WAS a master orator, a brilliant speaker, almost as good of a writer, and partly a genius. does that mean i respect him for saying that? no, but i'm not going to be ignorant and pretend the guy was an idiot (although his battle strategies left more to be desired).

Benoit was one of the greatest ever to step into that ring. so what? you can't acknowledge that anymore because of what he did? GTFO.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts