Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I watch it out of habit, that's it. I put RAW or Smackdown on, and I'm typically asleep within half an hour.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I watch Raw and Smackdown, but no way in hell I watch them live with 45 mins of commercials. I usually wait about 2 hours to start watching after the official start time to avoid the commercials.

Raw is at least bearable at 2hrs15mins compared to 3 hours and Smackdown gets cut down to 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Given that OP is "too smart" for current WWE product, he certainly seems to be following it in the minutest detail!

I watch WWE because I like wrestling, and a huge percentage of the wrestlers that I am a fan of, are exclusively seen on WWE programming. The writing is usually horrific, the storylines are non-existent, and the booking is laughable, but I want to see Styles, Balor, Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Becky, Alexa, Zayn, Owens ... the list goes on ...

No matter how bad the angles and booking get, in general, the wrestlers are still wrestling good matches. I've said 100 times, WWE caters for a whole collection of demographics, and in order to enjoy their programming you have to watch the stuff aimed at you, and fast forward through the rest. Which actually makes it possible most weeks to watch all of RAW, SDL and NXT in under 3 hours.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,862 Posts

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,862 Posts
lol she's so much better than anyone else on raw it's embarrassing. i feel bad for whoever has to go on after her segments because they will never top anything she does!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Given that OP is "too smart" for current WWE product, he certainly seems to be following it in the minutest detail!

I watch WWE because I like wrestling, and a huge percentage of the wrestlers that I am a fan of, are exclusively seen on WWE programming. The writing is usually horrific, the storylines are non-existent, and the booking is laughable, but I want to see Styles, Balor, Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Becky, Alexa, Zayn, Owens ... the list goes on ...

No matter how bad the angles and booking get, in general, the wrestlers are still wrestling good matches. I've said 100 times, WWE caters for a whole collection of demographics, and in order to enjoy their programming you have to watch the stuff aimed at you, and fast forward through the rest. Which actually makes it possible most weeks to watch all of RAW, SDL and NXT in under 3 hours.
I literally said in the OP that I read the results. I wasn't putting myself over either by saying I was too smart for it, you are too smart for this company, everybody is too smart for this company. They treat their fans like amnesia ridden retards.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Funny the way I've been weaning myself off of the product. From a paying WWE network fan to not even being interested in the YouTube highlights anymore.

If a hear that something interesting happened I might check it out and sarcastically lately I'm only checking stuff like Taker vs Goldberg for an easy laughter.

Sad but true.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I literally said in the OP that I read the results. I wasn't putting myself over either by saying I was too smart for it, you are too smart for this company, everybody is too smart for this company. They treat their fans like amnesia ridden retards.
That's kind of my point though. If the product is so bad that you aren't able to watch it, sitting down to read about every segment as soon as it's happened is surely the same, if not more annoying.

The WWE product has been written with the belief that the 6 year olds in the audience are engrossed in every second of the shows, so there are no real stories, no adult angles, no acts of real violence and, more worryingly, no ACTUAL heel characters to speak of.

All of this hurts the product as a storytelling form of entertainment.

My point is that the ONLY reason remaining to take any notice of WWE programming these days, is to actually enjoy the wrestling that the literal best wrestlers in the world are putting on. So, watching with the remote control firmly in one hand, and skipping everything that isn't your favourite wrestlers, wresting, is the only way to go.

Reading the analysis of every show is only going to keep on confirming what you already know - without getting to enjoy matches like Balor V Nakamura or Nese V Gulak from this week.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,066 Posts
The live threads are active, but not nearly as much as they were a few years ago, so some people still do. It's just a massive waste of time though. Even if you're a huge pro wrestling fan I can't see the appeal in sitting through hours of this poor product every week.

I watch the RAW/Smackdown highlights on YouTube - and if there is a PPV on I may catch a match or two (for example for Extreme Rules I watched two matches on the show and skipped through all the others).

For me it is more enjoyable to only watch the segments/matches I'm interested in and skip through all the crap and filler. I don't waste my time and on average I'm only dedicating about 20 minutes weekly to WWE.
This just makes we wonder what sort of fan is still watching at this point?

If you're a fan like me, if you're a fan of what I refer to as "Real Pro Wrestling" then you really dont have anything to be excited about in modern day WWE. If you like characters, personalities, stories, feuds, promos, entertainment, if you like the spectacle and drama of Pro Wrestling well you're shit out of luck thesedays. Anyone who is actually entertaining, anyone who can actually cut a promo, anyone who has personality and charisma in the current WWE is doomed, is repeatedly buried and jobbed out, is a directionless joke. Look at your guys like The Miz who is in as bad of a spot right now as he has ever been in. Rusev who was intentionally buried when he was at his most over and isnt even on TV anymore. Dolph Ziggler who has been turned into a joke. Bray Wyatt who is just, well its hard to describe what is going on there. Kevin Owens has been aimless for years. Even Daniel Bryan is really unimportant now.

But then on the flip side of the coin if you're all about "workrate" and what passes for great workrate thesedays you still have to contend with the Lesnar's,Reigns, Alexa's, etc getting huge pushes.

The only fans I can think of that could still be invested in the product are Shield fans, because their guys have been at the top of this sinking ship, and lead the decline. They're always on top so you can always enjoy The Shield squashing everyone else.

From where I'm standing the WWE seems to only cater for one demographic; those who enjoy ridiculous spot fests with zero selling, or psychology.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's kind of my point though. If the product is so bad that you aren't able to watch it, sitting down to read about every segment as soon as it's happened is surely the same, if not more annoying.
I read the results hours after the shows. I don't follow the results live, that would be ridiculous.

Reading the results takes less than 5 minutes, watching the shows takes 5 hours.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I read the results hours after the shows. I don't follow the results live, that would be ridiculous.

Reading the results takes less than 5 minutes, watching the shows takes 5 hours.
It is painful watching most weeks, I have to agree. Especially with the state of commentary on RAW. People criticize Renee a lot, but she is 1,000 times more tolerable than Cole when it comes to pure annoyance.

Like I say, I watch with the fast forward button under my thumb, and RAW is done and dusted in about 60 minutes. After all, there is only about 1.5 hours of new content in an episode of RAW, once you've subtracted the commercials, the WWE in-house adverts, the replays of stuff from last week, the replays of stuff from "moments ago".

·
Oh Becky Becky, Becky Becky Becky Becky Becky Lync
2,264 Posts
Because :becky still competes in WWE. She's probably the only reason why I watch the product now and again - although, I really only watch the PPV's nowadays and that's enough for me.

·
Registered
16,074 Posts
Habit, Hope, & Loyalty since it was the WWF. Dont get it twisted, I was a WCW fan when the NWO was big. For now, AEW is my fave organization.

·
Premium Member
43,796 Posts
I haven't watched much WWE since WrestleMania. Lack of time and lack of enthusiasm have contributed to that.

But I am going to try and keep up with Raw and SD, at least for a bit, just to see what Heyman and Bischoff do to change things.

·
Registered
251 Posts

The WWE product has been written with the belief that the 6 year olds in the audience are engrossed in every second of the shows, so there are no real stories, no adult angles, no acts of real violence and, more worryingly, no ACTUAL heel characters to speak of.

All of this hurts the product as a storytelling form of entertainment.

My point is that the ONLY reason remaining to take any notice of WWE programming these days, is to actually enjoy the wrestling that the literal best wrestlers in the world are putting on. So, watching with the remote control firmly in one hand, and skipping everything that isn't your favourite wrestlers, wresting, is the only way to go.

Reading the analysis of every show is only going to keep on confirming what you already know - without getting to enjoy matches like Balor V Nakamura or Nese V Gulak from this week.
I think WWE is just stuck in limbo rn. They went all in on PG with John Cena and it worked to a degree. But now he’s gone, and there’s no one to replace him. I think we’re slowly building to a turning point in WWE programming to something more edgy, but they just need to rip the band-aid off and do it bc the little kids apparently don’t love Kofi and Roman like they did Cena.

To answer the question I watch YouTube clips, I’m in college and don’t have cable so I watch full Raws when I can. I used to watch Smackdown when it was on free tv, so I’m looking forward to Smackdown on Fox.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts