Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,222 Posts
I don't see how anyone could get invested in Daniel Bryan vs Lesnar. Any outcome short of Lesnar just throwing Bryan around the ring would just come off as corny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is okay to suspend animation. But the people playing the parts need to play the part and never break it.

My favorite time in WWE is and always will be Vince vs Austin. Nothing ever got me that excited - I remember nothing about the match, I just remember all the turmoil and action around it. It seemed so real even when I Was 12 and knew it was "fake".

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,145 Posts
It's not about 'realism' necessarily, it's about logical consistency.

In any work of fiction people are willing to suspend disbelief, but only to the extent that the rules of your fictional universe requires. If you saw a Superman movie and he was eating kryptonite Cocoa Puffs, you'd be pissed off, not because of the lack of realism but because established lore says that should kill him.

It's the same thing in wrestling, either size matters or it doesn't, but you can't have Brock burying the entire roster the last 4 years because of his size and then have Kalisto beat him clean because it's not internally logically consistent; it literally ruins the entire fiction of wrestling.

If the rules of this fiction say size doesn't matter anymore then what is it about Brock or Braun that makes them more dominant than everybody else? Is it heart? But they're both heels. Is it technical skill? Neither are AJ Styles. Is it magic?

Wrestling fans want it both ways, they want size to matter when guys like Brock and Braun are wrecking shit, but they also don't want size to matter when they decide it's time for an indy darling to win.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't care about realism much.

But it annoys me when people Like Rey Mysterio, Balor, or Alexa Bliss are champions and they're in programs with people who are a foot taller and weight 100lbs more. Obviously it's not all about size but Title matches should be a big deal they're not anymore and letting midgets hold the titles is one of the reasons why, it's hard to build up a big even contest when one of the competitors could throw the other around the ring with one hand behind their back.

Beyond that I don't really care, if Bray once to make maggots shoot out of the turn buckle or Possess Nikki Bella into thinking she's sister Abigail so be it, it can always be skipped and ignored.

but god damn stop giving titles to dwarfs.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I change my mind every now and then on realism.

I think part of me only wants more realism because I believe it'll give more credibility to my enjoyment of the product, since I hate people calling it "fake".

A more real product allows me to say "see, does that look fake to you?!"

But then I realise it should treat itself less seriously and hold itself to similar standards as any other TV show.

WWE could be what Game of Thrones would be if they solved their issues in the ring.

You can have characters across every spectrum, including racists, bigots, murderers, rapists, hell they've done an incest storyline before and Game of Thrones had an incest scene in the first episode! That's the mindset they need to regain. They're not real people, they're TV characters, so they should stop tip-toeing around the PC crowd... it should be perfectly acceptable for a villain to say and do literally anything that is acceptable on Game of Thrones. Imagine the universal comeuppance you'd get if John Cena was burying a racist character? The heel heat would be more real than any "realism" angle they could ever dream up.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I think it doesn't matter as long as the storyline, moveset and match respects the characters gimmick:

Eddie Guerrero feuded Brock Lesnar and even won the WWE championship from him, but nobody complained because the whole storyline was booked in a credible way.

We didn't have Guerrero dominating Brock weekly, or Brock running away from him, also the match played Eddie's strengths, we didn't saw him trying to make Brock tap.

We saw Daniel Bryan feuding not only Big Show but also Mark Henry and he retained the championship in a way both Show and Henry didn't looked like clowns. They were protected.

You can't book a guy like Finn Balor, Neville or Austin Aries dominating Brock Lesnars, Big Shows or Braun Strowmans because it would ruin its entire character and would destroy the bigger guys credibility.

It was pathetic to watched Brock Lesnar needing the help of Paul Heyman to win a match against CM Punk or running away from him.

After booking a small guy defeating a big guy, there is no way back, you can't have Balor pinning Strowman clean and then in his next feud suffering agianst the like of Seth Rollins or Dean Ambrose.

That's one of the problems Daniel Bryan faced on his feud vs Kane for the WWE World Heavyweight championshipp:

Why is he afraid of Kane when he defeated Triple H, Randy Orton and Batista on teh same night while being injured?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I change my mind every now and then on realism.

I think part of me only wants more realism because I believe it'll give more credibility to my enjoyment of the product, since I hate people calling it "fake".

A more real product allows me to say "see, does that look fake to you?!"

But then I realise it should treat itself less seriously and hold itself to similar standards as any other TV show.

WWE could be what Game of Thrones would be if they solved their issues in the ring.

You can have characters across every spectrum, including racists, bigots, murderers, rapists, hell they've done an incest storyline before and Game of Thrones had an incest scene in the first episode! That's the mindset they need to regain. They're not real people, they're TV characters, so they should stop tip-toeing around the PC crowd... it should be perfectly acceptable for a villain to say and do literally anything that is acceptable on Game of Thrones. Imagine the universal comeuppance you'd get if John Cena was burying a racist character? The heel heat would be more real than any "realism" angle they could ever dream up.
Today's roster don't want that kind of heat. No one wants to be a heel now, they don't want to be hated they want to be able to go on social media after the show and share pictures and talk to fans.

No one really commits to being a heel, Kayfabe is dead but it's still sad to see someone being a heel on Monday and the next day they're in a children's hospital saying how inspired they are.

·
In Jericho, we trust
2,805 Posts
I agree that you have to suspend disbelief in wrestling, but there are limits.
Most of the time, at least around these parts, those limits you describe are based on what individuals perceive as realism though, right?

Look at the post from the guy above me for example. Describing how one can ignore stuff like Wyatt's shenanigans or a possible Nikki Bella possession, but throwing titles on dwarves is where they draw the line. People are selective as to what's acceptable and what's not, so long as they enjoy it.

I think that's the basis of the OP's thinking, and it's something I totally agree with. Professional wrestling is such a ludicrous field, where all sorts of ridiculous stuff has happened and continues to occur. Surely it isn't really feasible that one can go back and say "oh, this would never happen" when you had Taker shoot lightning out of his hands a decade ago? Even stripped down to its bare mechanics, can anyone comfortably state how an Irish whip would work in a real life fight? Of course not.

What creates those 'limits' for realism would come down to if the presentation of such a thing is received well by audiences or not. An organisation would likely go through with something if what they tested or teased would get the reaction they're after on a consistent basis.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Because the most successful era in the history of the business was completely built around it.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts