Wrestling Forum banner

Why do wrestlers always chew gum on their way to the ring?

29367 Views 43 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  GI_Josh
<-- You know the drill

I honestly don't know why I'm asking, I just kind of realised it in the middle of some old matches. I mean, is there any reason for chewing gum on your way to a wrestling match. Is it supposed to play on the term 'walk and chewing gum'?. I dunno, I just wanted to let that out :p
Reactions: Von Doom
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Banned
4,476 Posts
I haven't seen anyone chew gum on the way to the ring in years.

· Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Probably because they like it.
For serious thinking, it probably has to do with breath. Would you want to be in close quarters with someone who has breath so nasty you considered maybe something crawled in there and died?

· Registered
865 Posts
I haven't seen anyone chew gum on the way to the ring in years.
Watch closer next time...

I'd say it just makes them look more badass?...

· The Fringe Lunatic
110 Posts
I always wondered why too. I thought it might be an old school trick to hide the fact that they were calling moves in the ring, that way people would think they were just chewing gum.

Also the one I see most often is Triple H. He is almost always chewing gum when coming down for a match.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
well bball players have been known to chew gum because they didnt want to stick out their tongue and bite down on accident, i know that was micheal jordan's reason. i dont know if its true, but maybe wrestlers feel that way with all the running around and grappling

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Maybe everyone wants to be Mr. Perfect. Seriously the guy was even perfect when he got rid of gum watch the last royal rumble he was in. I forgot which it was.

· Registered
204 Posts
Chewing Gum keeps your mouth salivated, thus leading to smoother delivery whilst speaking. Some Wrestlers use it as an aid to help them deliver clear and concise promos and it just becomes something they do to help them get into character.(Also it looks cool when a Wrestler spits it out forcefully during a particulary awesome punch!)

· Registered
2,362 Posts
They come to kick ass and chew bubblegum. They just happen to run out of bubblegum before the match.

I couldn't have been the first to think it.
You werent. I'm somewhat miffed that the last post before I read this topic contained basically what I was going to type though.

· Banned
493 Posts
I always thought it was for their nerves. Most of them spit it out at some point anyway so I doubt it was for calling spots
To release nervous tension and to help keep their mouths from drying out under the strain, I would imagine.
Force of habit, another reason.
I think they look less ridiculous chewing gum than they do jawing a whole lot of nothing on their way to the ring.
No one can hear anything that they say, and yet they go on jawing and jawing as if they are carrying on a conversation or having an argument with someone.
HBK was pretty bad for that, and Delrio does it all the time too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.