Wrestling Forum banner

Why do they want/expect such high buys for Extreme Rules?

2581 Views 45 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  TBoneSuplex
This is a May PPV, we call them "B"-PPvs. In 2012, they had Lesnar Vs Cena at the B-PPV Extreme Rules. Last year, they had Lesnar/HHH for the THIRD time (it's insane when you realize that Lesnar wrestles 3x a year, and they blew three of them against Triple H, fucking stupid fucks), and this year, they're putting Evolution Vs The Shield at Extreme Rules. This match would have been so much better/bigger at a PPV like Summerslam.

Why do put so much on this show? It there any type of contract or stock guidelines or requirements the WWE has to meet around the May/June time period every year? Is it just Vince wanting to cash out on the momentum right after Wrestlemania?

Think about how hard they try and sell Extreme Rules. This year too. Vince doesn't treat this as his regular B-PPv.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why?!?!? why??!?!?!?

i don't think you understand the main goal of a business op, it's kind of funny.
Lol if you only knew who you were talking to.

But I'm saying, why would WWE put so much on a B Show? Lesnar Vs Cena at Extreme Rules? Lesnar Vs Triple H? Now The Shield Vs Evolution? It's obvious Vince and company want more success for Extreme Rules than they do for a PPV like Battleground.

· Is a Snit Head
33,676 Posts
I'm not sure if I really understand the question here. I thought you were saying that it's absurd for WWE to expect high buys with the effort they've put forth leading into the PPV. But in fact it sounds like you're saying that they put too much effort into making a good card for this show.

I don't understand how you can't grasp this concept though. If you present a better looking card people are more likely to buy the show. That's it really.

As far as the big matches that they normally have compared to other shows that's because Extreme Rules takes place right after Wrestlemania so it's often the conclusion of Wrestlemania feuds.

· Premium Member
7,019 Posts
Yes how dare they try and put effort into their shows and generate revenue?! Seriously it's a business we may think of it as B rated PPV but Vince doesn't and he's not gonna intentionally put out a half assed product. When you are running a business you have to make the most out of every opportunity.

· Premium Member
1,702 Posts
So you're asking why WWE are putting effort into making people want to buy a PPV? LOL I can tell you're an astute businessman.

· Registered
179 Posts
Well, Backlash 2000 did mega buys at the time; Extreme Rules 2012 and 2013 did OK at the box office. Besides, they have a Network to sell - it makes business sense to keep the momentum rolling.

Sitting back and phoning it it was what WCW did. Look what happened there.

· Such a Man
556 Posts
Because Mania tends to attract a lot of people who perhaps don't tune in throughout the year, or used to be avid watchers but have taken a break from the current product (I "stopped watching" for several years during the mid to late 00's but would always watch Mania)

If WWE can hook you in with Mania and keep you interested enough to check out the next PPV then they stand more of a chance of re-engaging you as a viewer and pulling you in to watching regularly

· Registered
882 Posts
Because Mania tends to attract a lot of people who perhaps don't tune in throughout the year, or used to be avid watchers but have taken a break from the current product (I "stopped watching" for several years during the mid to late 00's but would always watch Mania)

If WWE can hook you in with Mania and keep you interested enough to check out the next PPV then they stand more of a chance of re-engaging you as a viewer and pulling you in to watching regularly
Pretty much exactly this. I'm not gonna beat a dead horse and pile on the OP for what certainly appears to be a dumb question. I think what he really meant to ask was why WWE doesn't put the same effort and marquee names into their other B-level PPV's as they do with Extreme Rules. The poster I quoted hit the nail right on the head. A good portion of the people who watch Wrestlemania don't watch another wrestling show all year. The strength of the Extreme Rules card is the WWE's attempt to keep those casual fans engaged after Wrestlemania.

· Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,797 Posts
Well I think the traditional "Big 4" is no more. Extreme Rules, Money In The Bank and TLC have all surpassed Survivor Series at least in terms of cards. So maybe you should see Extreme Rules as an "A-" or sth like that.

Reactions: D.A.N.

· Registered
762 Posts
Well I think the traditional "Big 4" is no more. Extreme Rules, Money In The Bank and TLC have all surpassed Survivor Series at least in terms of cards. So maybe you should see Extreme Rules as an "A-" or sth like that.
I'd have to agree with this. Absolutely nothing memorable has happened in the past two Survivor Series (besides maybe the Shield debut). Extreme Rules does good money every year, thus WWE is going to try and continue that trend by selling the card. There's a lot more to how business works than "oh, well this is a B PPV so who cares about the card." They're always trying to make money.

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're asking why WWE are putting effort into making people want to buy a PPV? LOL I can tell you're an astute businessman.
That's not what I asked. Why hasn't Vince asked Brock Lesnar to wrestle at Battleground? Or Payback? But at Extreme Rules twice in a row.

But I got a good idea in mind. Validreasoning and another guy answered it well. The momentum from Wrestlemania.

· Registered
4,605 Posts
This is a May PPV, we call them "B"-PPvs. In 2012, they had Lesnar Vs Cena at the B-PPV Extreme Rules. Last year, they had Lesnar/HHH for the THIRD time (it's insane when you realize that Lesnar wrestles 3x a year, and they blew three of them against Triple H, fucking stupid fucks), and this year, they're putting Evolution Vs The Shield at Extreme Rules. This match would have been so much better/bigger at a PPV like Summerslam.

Why do put so much on this show? It there any type of contract or stock guidelines or requirements the WWE has to meet around the May/June time period every year? Is it just Vince wanting to cash out on the momentum right after Wrestlemania?

Think about how hard they try and sell Extreme Rules. This year too. Vince doesn't treat this as his regular B-PPv.
To try an answer your question without the sarcasm of a lot of others. Strictly business speaking? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

In 2014, business is different. It's not about PPV buys, it's about getting ppl to subscribe to the network, for 6 months. They need to put a very very strong effort to keep getting more ppl to subscribe. Mania did good on subscription, but not as high as they hoped for, so they want to attract more. I'm sure 5-6 months after mania, when the first batch of "6 month commitment customers" expire, they will also put a crazy effort to get people to renew for 6 more months.

· Registered
617 Posts
They've always tried to carry momentum from Wrestlemania into the next PPV.
Basically this. Some of the storylines at Extreme Rules are carrying over from Wrestlemania. Although some of them have been hastily put together (Bryan vs Kane), it looks like a decent card. Also, DISH nor DirecTV will be carrying the PPV so they're trying to get people to sign up for the network by putting together a card people want to buy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.