Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rock, or should I say Rocky Maivia got Rocky Sucks chants long before the Kid came back and yet Pac gets the term named after him? SMH

· Registered
913 Posts
I believe it had to do with the fact that the X-Pac character was always pretty annoying but at least he was in D-X when they were white hot, so it covered for a lot of that. When he was by himself towards 2000 and into 2001 and he was still doing the X-Pac gimmick, especially during the X-Factor team days, people were just sick of his whole shtick. I believe during the WCW/ECW Invasion, while the WWF was typically portrayed as the babyfaces, X-Pac was the only one in the WWF who was still getting booed over the Alliance guys.

At least the Rocky Maivia gimmick only lasted maybe six or seven months before he was off injured and when he came back, he was part of the Nation of Domination and a full-fledged heel en route to becoming The Rock. X-Pac was saddled with his gimmick for years.

· Banned
1,277 Posts
It's synonymous with "go away heat," meaning the crowd is not booing you because you are an effective heel in kayfabe but because they genuinely hate you as a performer/real life person.

X-Pac has always been kind of a weird symbol of that kind of heat to me so I refuse to acknowledge the term. To me, it should be called "Steph heat."

· Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's synonymous with "go away heat," meaning the crowd is not booing you because you are an effective heel in kayfabe but because they genuinely hate you as a performer/real life person.

X-Pac has always been kind of a weird symbol of that kind of heat to me so I refuse to acknowledge the term. To me, it should be called "Steph heat."
Right and that's my point. Didn't they want Rocky Maivia to "go away" in 1997?

· Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
5,971 Posts

Maybe we can work on coining the new name for it ... it certainly is more appropriate. :D

· Registered
14,359 Posts
But Rocky recovered from it and transformed into The Rock. X-Pac never did change, that's why the term is stuck with him.

I always thought it was unfair though. There were worse guys on the roster like his teammates, Albert and Justin Credible, and they never got the same kind of heat he did. At least X-Pac gave us good matches with Kidman, Tajiri etc.

One thing I liked that came out of it was this line by Edge:

"Hey X-Pac, 1998 called and they're pretty sick and tired of ya, so feel free to join us in the year 2001!" :lol

· Registered
8,451 Posts
So you would rather it called "The Rock" heat ? Kinda ruins it's merit and credibility don't you think ? :lol

X-pac was 6 or 7 years in the business by then and was well established when he got that treatment, at the time the audience knew he had no more potential and was not capable to be a solo wrestler nor did they want him to be, they just didn't want to see him anymore

· Registered
2,113 Posts
I hope the term never changes, its hilarious to me that this guys best friends are Hall, Nash, HHH and HBK.
4 of the most successful and popular wrestlers to ever exist, and this guys effectively got told to fuck off in every arena he's ever been in?

No wonder the dude looks like a meth head these days.

· Banned
5,031 Posts
I think it's a stupid term. Heels used to get stabbed at, shit thrown at them, attacked as they were trying to leave. That's when heels knew how to be heels and weren't trying to get the fans to cheer for them, though. I guarantee, when ladies are stabbing you with their hat pins, they REALLY want you to go away in the most final possible 'go' you can get to.

· Registered
8,568 Posts

Not really, the people just didn't like the character he was portraying and that was at a time when the crowds were turning a little more smarter.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I liked Sean as the Lightening/1-2-3 Kid, enjoyed his brief WCW run as Syxx, and I thought X-Pac was cool for the first D-X run but in a couple years he was staler than molding bread. Still with the same music, titantron, gestures, moves, and DX gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.