Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because its starting to depress me watching old clips of how they used to be.

Is it the changing demographic of the audience? The product itself? Or just the general lack of things to get excited about in wrestling anymore?

Either way, the crowd last night pissed me off, as most Raw crowds do today. Seems that besides Rocky (who will be gone soon enough) Cena is the only guy they make any noise for.

New York
Chicago
Detroit
Texas
Anywhere in Canada
London

That basically seems to be about it where the crowds are usually great/good everytime.

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
Well crowds in the WWF have generally been pretty bad, except for the attitude era. Apparently Vince almost blew a gasket during Wrestlemania 4 when nobody got a reaction but Andre and Hogan.

Its either that there is nothing worth getting excited about, that or the people are spoiled with too much wrestling

· Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at RAW last night and the crowd was not dead at all. You must need earing ads.
It certainly didnt come across on TV mate.

Rock and Cena, and JR.

That was it.

· Premium Member
4,692 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing for the last couple of years now. I would say maybe it's because more of the crowd are younger these days and so they aren't as vocal as the older audience of the Attitude days, but at the same time, since when are young kids quiet about anything?

It really pisses me off to see what should be great moments unfold on TV, to a lukewarm reaction at best. Off the top of my head, Christian returning at Elimination Chamber should have gotten a great reaction, but fucking nobody made any noise.

· Registered
821 Posts
Younger fans don't come to see John Morrison or Sheamus. They come to see ONLY John Cena and Randy Orton. Everyone else is just....there. The kids at these events weren't even born until about 2001-2002. And face it, grown men make more noise than nay group of kids could.
I just want to point out that all of those places you listed(bar London) have a history with the WWE and its events. London gives good reactions because they're Englishmen(duh) and they only see wrestling once a year or so. and by Texas I hope you mean El Paso and Houston only. El Paso has the heritage and Houston has a hardcore community(which I'm proud to a part of) that has experience PPV's ranging from Wrestlemania to TLC 2010

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Because its starting to depress me watching old clips of how they used to be.

Is it the changing demographic of the audience? The product itself? Or just the general lack of things to get excited about in wrestling anymore?

Either way, the crowd last night pissed me off, as most Raw crowds do today. Seems that besides Rocky (who will be gone soon enough) Cena is the only guy they make any noise for.

New York
Chicago
Detroit
Texas
Anywhere in Canada
London

That basically seems to be about it where the crowds are usually great/good everytime.
Its a result of the crap product WWE has produced the past several years but hopefully its going to get better now that they are moving away from PG.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Well crowds in the WWF have generally been pretty bad, except for the attitude era. Apparently Vince almost blew a gasket during Wrestlemania 4 when nobody got a reaction but Andre and Hogan
Hmm. Why'd he go back there the next year?

Not doubting that story, because that crowd was d-e-a-d, I just wonder why the heck he went back to Trump Plaza for WM V. I'm sure there's some good reason somewhere, but I'm ignorant on this particular subject.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
I think todays crowds are very dead and non vocal.
I hate to keep talking about the past but if a match sucked they at least chanted "boring" or something. WWE sterilized their fan base by creating more regulations like no cursing (crowds can't curse) or they mute the chants for tv and ppv, taking and replacing fan signs, I even think they forbid alcohol from being served during the show (we know drunk crowds are hype) so WWE made this problem. They separated the product from the fans, the fans don't really even get to choose who they watch, they have guys forced upon them.
The AE crowds were similar to ECW crowds they were loud, rabid, and involved that's not the case anymore. Don't be surprised if WWE ends up being like Japan were the fans only clap politely at everyone.

· Recognize
21,327 Posts
I think the OP has a point about the crowd 2 weeks ago and 1 week ago but last night you must have had your TV on mute if you thought those fans were bad. St Louis was a great crowd. They were lively for pretty much everything except for Brian Christopher but JR solved that problem the second he came out. Seriously, people complaining about the fans last night need their ears checked.

· Registered
91 Posts
Just because a bunch of people arent screaming "asshole" or "you fucked up" at the top of their lungs does not make them a bad crowd. I heard very loud cheer's for the hero's last night and major boo's for the bad guys so I don't know what to tell you. Like other's the only time I saw the crowd die last night was during Brian Christopher's set.

· Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They don't.
They certainly do.

Go back and watch some attitude era Raw and PPV crowds, and then compare them to todays boring arsehole crowds.

To say they havnt got worse over time just isnt true.

Hell, even Vince was clearly pissed off the other week on Raw with the crowd reaction, as he has looked for the past few times he has been on TV. Also, Jericho said pretty much the same in his recent book about attitude era crowds and the ones today, which pale in comparison.

Crowds today suck complete ass, in most places.

The crappy product and shitty non-existent characters dont help of course...

Also, Im going to be starting more attitude era threads because it annoys people.

·      
4,088 Posts
They certainly do.

Go back and watch some attitude era Raw and PPV crowds, and then compare them to todays boring arsehole crowds.

To say they havnt got worse over time just isnt true.

Hell, even Vince was clearly pissed off the other week on Raw with the crowd reaction, as he has looked for the past few times he has been on TV. Also, Jericho said pretty much the same in his recent book about attitude era crowds and the ones today, which pale in comparison.

Crowds today suck complete ass, in most places.

The crappy product and shitty non-existent characters dont help of course...

Also, Im going to be starting more attitude era threads because it annoys people.
(Assuming you watch RAW from the late 90's) which era gets more pops from you? Blame it on the product, not the fans. You didn't sit in your seat yawning when mid-carders like fuckin' Chainsaw Charlie came down the ramp, much less superstars like Stone Cold Steve Austin. The guys today can't provoke like the guys of yesterday.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.