Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean if you're 5 ft 8, it's not like you can power slam Big Show. The only moves they can do are high flying. You can't tell me you don't get excited when guys like Evan Bourne do ssp's off of ladders or when Jeff Hardy jumps off of something high. I personally don't mind guys like Kofi, Jomo, and Evan when they flip around, it's makes it more believable for their size. And besides, the whole point is to be entertained.

·
Really too good to wrestle in front of all you pri
1,660 Posts
There's a difference between being a high flier and being a spot monkey.

Rey Mysterio is a high flier. Jeff Hardy is a spot monkey.

It's all about psychology yo.

I kinda agree though, spot monkeys are entertaining.

For a while. If they can't bring anything else to the table then they're not that entertaining in my eyes, there's only so many times I can see someone jump off something big.

Plus the Attitude Era kinda spoiled us all when it comes to spots. After the Taker/Mankind HIAC, ECW in general and Shane McMahon's utter disregard for personal safety nothing can come close.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Half of the people that are considered 'spot monkeys' aren't even really. Jeff, Morrison and RVD could all actually work a match with selling and psychology and such. People like Teddy Hart or Sabu I can see being called spot monkeys but I personally don't like the term.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It can hide or distract people from the truth of how terrible that particular person is at actually wrestling. Or if they lack in one area (mic skills) they make up for it by jumping off stuff aka John Morrison.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Because haters gonna hate.

I don't even know what's wrong with using a spotty style of rasslin to cover someone's deficiencies in other areas. Not everyone is the complete package, so they play up to their strengths. Some people promo. Other people jump off 20-ft ladders. Its all good to me.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts
Because haters gonna hate.

I don't even know what's wrong with using a spotty style of rasslin to cover someone's deficiencies in other areas. Not everyone is the complete package, so they play up to their strengths. Some people promo. Other people jump off 20-ft ladders. Its all good to me.
You realize that's like the wrestling equivalent of saying, in terms of a regular job "some people get promotions because they're great at their job, others get them because they make the bosses coffee"? Jumping off shit isn't a skill.

The reason I hate it is basically because it's what people turn to to substitute having a personality. Name me one high flyer who's great on the mic (and don't say Eddie Guerrero, he is NOT a high flier. Neither is Shawn Michaels...nor is he great on the mic for that matter). Exactly, there aren't any, because anybody who can actually entertain doesn't need to put themselves through that shit. It's a cover up, and I don't like that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You realize that's like the wrestling equivalent of saying, in terms of a regular job "some people get promotions because they're great at their job, others get them because they make the bosses coffee"? Jumping off shit isn't a skill.

The reason I hate it is basically because it's what people turn to to substitute having a personality. Name me one high flyer who's great on the mic (and don't say Eddie Guerrero, he is NOT a high flier. Neither is Shawn Michaels...nor is he great on the mic for that matter). Exactly, there aren't any, because anybody who can actually entertain doesn't need to put themselves through that shit. It's a cover up, and I don't like that.
You don't get excited when someone like Jeff Hardy jumps off a ladder or Evan Bourne's shooting star press? It's your opinion I don't wanna harass you for it, but it is surprising.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You realize that's like the wrestling equivalent of saying, in terms of a regular job "some people get promotions because they're great at their job, others get them because they make the bosses coffee"?
That's a pretty good comparison. But in my experience people like guys that get them coffee AND guys that jump of shit.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Being a "spot Monkey" is entertaining. Its not a cover up its just they aren't good enough to promo or be a technical wrestler so they do what can do. And saying jumping off a ladder doesn't skill. While it doesn't require much landing and such do. Also the things JoMo does say Taker couldnt do...ever. Or trips or hell Punk couldn't. So it does take skill.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, being short limits you from submissions and striking maneuvers.
If every person in the WWE under 6"0 did that the wrestling would suck. Not everyone is a fan of holding someone on the floor for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because they barely have wrestling skill they just jump off shit. we have places for stuff like that it's called..CZW
You don't think a 450 splash takes skill?!

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts
You don't get excited when someone like Jeff Hardy jumps off a ladder or Evan Bourne's shooting star press? It's your opinion I don't wanna harass you for it, but it is surprising.
No. I'll admit when I was young, I used to go batshit crazy for RVD, but never for anybody else who worked high flying. Now, even that effect has worn off for me and I just don't like the shit, period, point blank. And Jeff Hardy, in particular, couldn't do any activity known to man that would entertain me. Don't even get me started on Jeff Hardy. I like Jeff Hardy about as much as Jim Cornette likes Vince Russo, and in fact, even less than that.

Being a "spot Monkey" is entertaining. Its not a cover up its just they aren't good enough to promo or be a technical wrestler so they do what can do.
:lmao You JUST repeated what I said, in different words. That's my entire point. They aren't good enough to do that shit so they do gymnastic stunts to get a pop, that is covering up their weaknesses by being overly flashy.

Also the things JoMo does say Taker couldnt do...ever. Or trips or hell Punk couldn't. So it does take skill.
And strangely enough, of all the things he can do that they can't do, being successful in the wrestling business is not one of those things.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts