Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what I'm talking about..

Wyatt = Husky chants
Los Matadores = Primo chant (from one asshole in the crowd)

What is the point in chanting out these things? To show off your pseudo wrestling knowledge?

The WWE isn't trying to treat you like you're stupid in this regard, and if you think that then you're a moron. When a wrestler changes gimmick you're supposed to suspend disbelief and treat them as a new character all together, that's what wrestling is about.. suspension of disbelief. It's all apart of the business, you're supposed to embrace change, embrace new characters ect.

The WWE knows most wrestling fans aren't fooled by these things, maybe the kids don't know it's the same guy under the mask but that's a different story all together.

Yes, in some cases the WWE treat people like they are stupid (the constant WWE app instructions) but what I'm talking about is a very different matter.

It's all about creating a world, and as fans you are supposed to help get some of these new gimmicks over with people. When you are marking out for a gimmick and you hear some moron shout "Husky Harris" it just ruins the fun, especially when it's done during a brand new entrance.

The Goldberg chants piss me off as well, WE GET IT.. he's big and strong like GOLDBERG.. he's bald.. like GOLDBERG. These smarks think they are clever because they know that Ryback looks like Goldberg, and they want to reach out to other smarks to let them know that they are clever too, it's all just a massive smark circle jerk.

I consider myself a smark, but not one of these assholes smarks. I understand how the business works, I take an interest in backstage politics, I question the decisions of the company, that's the type of smark I don't mind, because it's harmless.

Then again, who am I say to anything about these guys? They paid their money right?

I know this topic has been covered a thousand times, but I had the overwhelming urge to speak on this.

Post your thoughts, tell me that I'm using the word "bury" in the wrong context, tell me I'm a pussy for getting annoyed.

Peace out y'all.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Re: Why do smarks try and bury new gimmicks?

Smarks chant previous gimmicks because they think it makes them sound smart and cool (but it doesn't).

I must add though, I personally don't think a smark chant can bury a gimmick, I've yet to see a gimmick get buried due to a smark's stupid chant.

388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Buried in the sense of, they want to ruin other people's suspension of disbelief, and if people can't suspend their disbeliefs for a certain character, the character ain't going to get over as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts

Wyatt got husky chants once and it was only on his debut with The Fam.

:wyatt

·
Banned
473 Posts
I don't have any problem with them chanting on Los Matadores and on Ryback because Ryback is a Goldberg rip off and Los Matadores is stupid.

But Bray Wyatt? The man worked hard in order to create a new gimmick. Why ruin that?

·
Registered
269 Posts
They pay the same as everyone else there, they can chant what they want.

If 'smarks' want to ruin someone's gimmick then perhaps they should have a better gimmick that would get the 'smarks' on board.

Ryback is a Goldberg clone (Albeit a badly made clone who can't Wrestle) Smarks make shows entertaining. Some of them come up with great chants.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Simply because they think that they are cool and funny.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The thing I don´t really get are the Goldberg chants. Just because you are big, bald and have a beard doesn´t mean you are Goldberg. Why not chant Skip Sheffield instead. That wouldn´t be as annoying.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
I like it how a lot of you like to categorize all "smarks" as being assholes, or jackasses. Usually, at Raw's and PPV's only a small portion of smarks does these things, while the rest simply cheer who they like and boo who they dislike. With Ryback, they chant Goldberg, mostly because they don't like him, and don't want to see him over others who they like more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Basically what the guy above me said, and it's pretty pathetic really. 'Smarks' are obnoxious and obviously know everything there is to know about the WWE including how creative should work and how talent should be booked.
Anyone dares to try and get over who didn't come from ROH and you'll get a sarcastic chant. or maybe WHAT after every sentence when the wrestler is trying to deliver a serious promo.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
The thing I don´t really get are the Goldberg chants. Just because you are big, bald and have a beard doesn´t mean you are Goldberg. Why not chant Skip Sheffield instead. That wouldn´t be as annoying.
No its because he's jacked, bald, has a beard, had a winning streak, got over by annihilating jobbers in 2 minute squash matches to add to that streak, never talked when he debuted and a slew of other things that were copied in the exact style of Goldberg that he's a Goldberg ripoff.

Now, he isn't so much, but they already set that precedent with the fans, so they continue chanting it at him.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No its because he's jacked, bald, has a beard, had a winning streak, got over by annihilating jobbers in 2 minute squash matches to add to that streak, never talked when he debuted and a slew of other things that were copied in the exact style of Goldberg that he's a Goldberg ripoff.

Now, he isn't so much, but they already set that precedent with the fans, so they continue chanting it at him.
Funny people don't complain about Lesnar getting "Goldberg" chants anymore.

Strange what actually being good can do for you..

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
They pay the same as everyone else there, they can chant what they want.

If 'smarks' want to ruin someone's gimmick then perhaps they should have a better gimmick that would get the 'smarks' on board.
But why ruin it for the "It's still real to us dammits"? Sure they can chant want they want but why be dick-ish?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts