Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like todays generation of fans love nerd type characters. I will use Sami Zayne, Bayley, Daniel Bryan as examples. I also remember AJ Lee becoming popular during her NXT days. You can even say this is the reason why Ellsworth was so popular when he first debuted.

My question is, why?

·
Registered
880 Posts
It seems like todays generation of fans love nerd type characters. I will use Sami Zayne, Bayley, Daniel Bryan as examples. I also remember AJ Lee becoming popular during her NXT days. You can even say this is the reason why Ellsworth was so popular when he first debuted.

My question is, why?
They liked those types before. Maybe you don't, but it doesn't mean others never have.

·
Doki Doki Literature Club!
537 Posts
All of them are considered the "underdogs" as well, so it's our nature to be drawn to their "characters" as they fight to the top. :) But then again, the likes of Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, etc. had a fanbase (ROH, PWG, etc.) outside of the WWE too, so that helped, I guess. :thumbsup

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They liked those types before. Maybe you don't, but it doesn't mean others never have.
Examples? I don't remember many of these characters being as popular in the Monday Night Wars / Attitude era days.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,213 Posts
Examples? I don't remember many of these characters being as popular in the Monday Night Wars / Attitude era days.
Mick Foley

They're the sympathetic babyface. They've always been popular in wrestling but generally don't become the top guys for a long time. They get their big moment but with them it's about the chase and the moment and not a long title run. Look at guys over the years like Mick Foley, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Benoit, Guerrero, and Daniel Bryan. They all were great at chasing a title and had some cool moments when they would win a title. But none of them were going to be champion for all that long. It was about a defining moment and not a defining reign.

There are more guys like that now than before because WWE struggles to get someone over as a babyface. In a way the WWE succeeded in making Vince McMahon the biggest heel ever. Because now the main villain in the eyes of so many fans is the company itself. So anyone that is perceived as being the man or woman that WWE wants to do well is going to get a lot of dislike. And the ones that are good despite not being the hand picked guy get support because of that.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mick Foley

They're the sympathetic babyface. They've always been popular in wrestling but generally don't become the top guys for a long time. They get their big moment but with them it's about the chase and the moment and not a long title run. Look at guys over the years like Mick Foley, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Benoit, Guerrero, and Daniel Bryan. They all were great at chasing a title and had some cool moments when they would win a title. But none of them were going to be champion for all that long. It was about a defining moment and not a defining reign.

There are more guys like that now than before because WWE struggles to get someone over as a babyface. In a way the WWE succeeded in making Vince McMahon the biggest heel ever. Because now the main villain in the eyes of so many fans is the company itself. So anyone that is perceived as being the man or woman that WWE wants to do well is going to get a lot of dislike. And the ones that are good despite not being the hand picked guy get support because of that.

Eddie and Benoit may have been seen as underdogs and rightfully so but I never saw them as beta males.

Foley though, yes absolutely and he's become even more so as he's gotten older. His last run as GM was literally painful to watch, seeing Stephanie literally chop off his balls and emasculate him week to week.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Daniel Bryan? When he had that shitty nerdy gimmick nobody gave a fuck about him. Wasn't until he turned heel that the yes thing started and everyone began to love him. So I'm not lumping him into that list. What about TJ Perkins? Nerd, who nobody gave a fuck about.

However I will throw New Day in there. I never got it and I still don't get it, especially the gyrating, the unicorns and the who? who? who? thing, what the hell is that shit?

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Some people like underdog characters. Not constantly being an aggresive, intense assholes makes them more likeable to some. Some people just like certain characters, its natural. You don't have to understand it, just sccept that its s natural mindset in wrestling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i only identify with characters who crush pussy and chug beers

ALPHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a closet case here...."Super hetero Male"

To OP well wrestling is for us nerds now days. But I don't like Sami,Bayley,never liked Daniel. I am a nerd through and through though. And damn proud of it; I nerd out on comic books,anime,fan fiction amongst other topics.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Wrestling fans are cuck nerds. Virtually everybody on this forum is a beta cuck bitch.... including you, OP.

Stop trying to overcompensate :lol

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wrestling fans are cuck nerds. Virtually everybody on this forum is a beta cuck bitch.... including you, OP.

Stop trying to overcompensate :lol
Not true. I think being a cuck or beta has become more and more acceptable by society. You could even make the argument that millennial males are groomed to be that way by the media.

Reactions: Groovybaby

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,340 Posts
One might question why so many live vicariously through roided up goobers and celebrate title wins as if it's an actual accomplishment or feat of strength?

Not knocking on the titles but the winners are picked beforehand and as we seen it rarely has anything to do with how over someone is or what talent they have.

I often wonder how people can clamor for people with no mic skills, not entertaining in the ring and pushed to corner a certain market. It's obvious as to what's going on but I suppose these people are the types to cheer for heroes because they're told to, boo because they're told to and buy anything and everything advertised. Why I'd imagine they'd buy magic beans if someone was selling some to people.

I liked Bryan because he was a legit underdog, how is he Beta if he was buried, rose from the ashes like a bearded Phoenix and forced the WWE to recognize him? That's some Gladiator movie type stuff there!

A Wrestler who became a jobber, a jobber who became a Main Eventer, a Main Eventer who defied a Wrestling Empire.

The story of Daniel Bryan.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Not true. I think being a cuck or beta has become more and more acceptable by society. You could even make the argument that millennial males are groomed to be that way by the media.
And honestly, whats wrong with that. Some people just aren't cut out to be like the stereotypical alpha male that they had to be in the past. Before, you had to change yourself to fit this stereotype.

Its part of why the 80s had so many musclebound alpha male characters. It was a time when society considered that to be ideal image of a male, thus makig that type of character desirable. Now, wrestling characters reflect how males in society actually act. Musclebound, intense guys are no linger considered desirable by society as society has learned to accept that there is nothing wrong being different. However, theres this image that wrestling characters are now just average joes which honestly isn't true. They look like average joes but each and everyone of them are at the peak of athletecism(even if they don't look like it) and in kayfabe the world's best fighters. Of course it would be easy to both relate to them and desire to be like them now.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One might question why so many live vicariously through roided up goobers and celebrate title wins as if it's an actual accomplishment or feat of strength?

Not knocking on the titles but the winners are picked beforehand and as we seen it rarely has anything to do with how over someone is or what talent they have.

I often wonder how people can clamor for people with no mic skills, not entertaining in the ring and pushed to corner a certain market. It's obvious as to what's going on but I suppose these people are the types to cheer for heroes because they're told to, boo because they're told to and buy anything and everything advertised. Why I'd imagine they'd buy magic beans if someone was selling some to people.

I liked Bryan because he was a legit underdog, how is he Beta if he was buried, rose from the ashes like a bearded Phoenix and forced the WWE to recognize him? That's some Gladiator movie type stuff there!

A Wrestler who became a jobber, a jobber who became a Main Eventer, a Main Eventer who defied a Wrestling Empire.

The story of Daniel Bryan.
While all of that is true and DB should be respected, I don't think it was more evident that he's a beta at heart when Miz verbally destroyed him on Talking Smack and DB had absolutely nothing to say.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts