Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all, scandanavian countries are almost unanimously white, doesnt that kinda invalidate the whole "diversity is our strength" thing?

·
Registered
212 Posts
They dont point to Scandinavian countries for diversity, they point to them regarding their national healthcare.

The US is the only developed country in the world with a concept of medical debt.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
After all, scandanavian countries are almost unanimously white, doesnt that kinda invalidate the whole "diversity is our strength" thing?
You've not been to Scandanavia before, have you? Diversity isn't only about skin colour either, it's about ethnic origin as well. There are large populations of Roma, Russians, Sami, Jews, Germans, Non-Russian Slavs, and refugees from the likes of Syria, the former Yugoslavia, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam etc.

A quick Google search tells me that Sweden alone has 1/5 of their population born outside of their borders, so there is a call for diversity.

As for why they praise Scandinavia, their policies are aimed at integrating people well into society and tackling societal problems better than a lot of the western world. Their education system is very forward thinking as well, and is regarded well the world over. Healthcare, as mentioned above, is some of the best in the world.

Of course, like everywhere, there's a pocket of far-right nutters, but these countries are very well led.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've not been to Scandanavia before, have you? Diversity isn't only about skin colour either, it's about ethnic origin as well. There are large populations of Roma, Russians, Sami, Jews, Germans, Non-Russian Slavs, and refugees from the likes of Syria, the former Yugoslavia, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam etc.

A quick Google search tells me that Sweden alone has 1/5 of their population born outside of their borders, so there is a call for diversity.

As for why they praise Scandinavia, their policies are aimed at integrating people well into society and tackling societal problems better than a lot of the western world. Their education system is very forward thinking as well, and is regarded well the world over. Healthcare, as mentioned above, is some of the best in the world.

Of course, like everywhere, there's a pocket of far-right nutters, but these countries are very well led.

From what I have read the population is having massive issues with just that.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,749 Posts

Funny that when they are highlighting the nordic model for their health care system they don't also acknowledge the absurdly high taxes in those countries that pays for it.

Something tells me Americans wouldn't be too happy paying 50% income tax regardless of what side of the isle you lean to politically.

Also, due to immigration and refugees, that incredible healthcare system is on the verge of collapse because they cannot accommodate the increase in population.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Funny that when they are highlighting the nordic model for their health care system they don't also acknowledge the absurdly high taxes in those countries that pays for it.

Something tells me Americans wouldn't be too happy paying 50% income tax regardless of what side of the isle you lean to politically.

Also, due to immigration and refugees, that incredible healthcare system is on the verge of collapse because they cannot accommodate the increase in population.
Yes but unlike America their 1% also pay their fair share of taxes too.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Pointing to different countries and saying we'll have the healthcare from X, the taxes from Y and the education from Z is inane. It always comes as part of a wider system.

Sweden is a pretty diverse country - a lot of recent immigration with all the pros and cons that brings. Quite active in integrating immigrants (strongly encouraged Swedish classes). Healthcare is good but very high taxes and alcohol prices are exorbitant.

Denmark and Norway also have high taxation but strong public services. While being very liberal from a US perspective on that front, they can have policies that seem very authoritarian elsewhere. Denmark is planning to limit the proportion of "non-Western" immigrants in any district to no more than 30%. The idea being to avoid parallel societies emerging.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Probably due to their acceptance of more women in higher ranking positions in the workforce when they point to these countries' diversity. Usually people point to America's success when pointing out ethnic diversity as strength. America wouldn't be this far ahead if she wasn't so welcoming to immigrants from various background over the years. Heck those scandinavian countries might have been emulating America with their shift in attitude towards immigration a few decades ago.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably due to their acceptance of more women in higher ranking positions in the workforce when they point to these countries' diversity. Usually people point to America's success when pointing out ethnic diversity as strength. America wouldn't be this far ahead if she wasn't so welcoming to immigrants from various background over the years. Heck those scandinavian countries might have been emulating America with their shift in attitude towards immigration a few decades ago.

to me it largely depends on where they are from... papis/mamis? yea they can come over... somalis/guys whod throw me the fuck off a building and shoot me down if i fly? nah i dont want them here.. fucking nigerians? absolutely not! bitchass europeans who stay talking shit? stay over there too!

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
to me it largely depends on where they are from... papis/mamis? yea they can come over... somalis/guys whod throw me the fuck off a building and shoot me down if i fly? nah i dont want them here.. fucking nigerians? absolutely not! bitchass europeans who stay talking shit? stay over there too!
I don't even know what to reply to this. LOL

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

Most of us Europeans are more than happy to pay "absurdly high taxes" if that means we get good public healthcare, education (most and biggest universities here are public, with very low tuitions and accessible scholarships for those who can't pay them, not to speak of countries like Denmark where it's downright free), subsidies, dependency, pensions, etc etc.

Here, the "no taxes, every man for himself, private companies manage things better" liberal (in the European sense, of course: I know being a liberal means something else there in the New World) mentality is a clearly right-leaning posture, explicitedly related to right wing parties that represent the interests of the wealthy.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
From what I have read the population is having massive issues with just that.
It depends who you ask, a normal person or someone with an agenda.

I wouldn't be happy paying that either, but their public services are second to none! Transport is brilliant, schools world-leading, health care excellent (despite you claiming they're on the verge of collapse) and their infrastructure is superbly maintained. I'd rather pay 50% tax than have to pay thousands of Dollars to visit a doctor!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It depends who you ask, a normal person or someone with an agenda.

I wouldn't be happy paying that either, but their public services are second to none! Transport is brilliant, schools world-leading, health care excellent (despite you claiming they're on the verge of collapse) and their infrastructure is superbly maintained. I'd rather pay 50% tax than have to pay thousands of Dollars to visit a doctor!

are you saying that in reality there are zero problems and that everyone saying so is making them up?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
are you saying that in reality there are zero problems and that everyone saying so is making them up?
No one said there were zero problems. Just bear in mind that you are an American looking for a problem in a country (possibly even continent) where you have never been, don't speak the languages and understand little of the cultures. You will find a problem if you go looking for one on the internet. My advice is to actually visit a Scandinavian country, where you will find that outside of the cities there is a very sparse and spread out population that is nothing like described here. The cities themselves are very clean and people are very friendly and welcoming to foreigners, more so in the likes of Finland and Norway from experience than Sweden - though they are still quite open people by comparison to other nearby countries, including Poland and Lithuania.

Lesson here is not to mix propaganda with reality. I highly recommend coming over one day and actually meeting people and taking a good lengthy road trip to the Arctic Circle for the midnight sun and see what spectacular and welcoming places Norway and Finland are in particular.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No one said there were zero problems. Just bear in mind that you are an American looking for a problem in a country (possibly even continent) where you have never been, don't speak the languages and understand little of the cultures. You will find a problem if you go looking for one on the internet. My advice is to actually visit a Scandinavian country, where you will find that outside of the cities there is a very sparse and spread out population that is nothing like described here. The cities themselves are very clean and people are very friendly and welcoming to foreigners, more so in the likes of Finland and Norway from experience than Sweden - though they are still quite open people by comparison to other nearby countries, including Poland and Lithuania.

Lesson here is not to mix propaganda with reality. I highly recommend coming over one day and actually meeting people and taking a good lengthy road trip to the Arctic Circle for the midnight sun and see what spectacular and welcoming places Norway and Finland are in particular.

im sure you have got your own ideas about how america is as well, and they may be a little off base based upon what youve heard

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
America's racial division is a massive distraction from its grotesque class division. The rich are very happy to have Americans fighting racial, gender and cultural battles instead of concentrating on what really keeps people down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts