Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Belair vs. Taynara this week and asked myself: why didn`t they do much more with Taynara? She isn`t bad! Same to Catanzaro and many others.

Somehow they missed to build up some more women in NXT, so they have to bring back Rhea Ripley etc.

Aliyah - barely used heel jobber
Bianca Belair - solid midcard, at least they pushed her a bit
Candice LeRae - feud with Io, that`s it since forever. Could have done much more the last few months/years.
Dakota Kai - injured, before there wasn`t done enough
Deonna Purrazzo - jobber
Io Shirai - she was pushed
Jessamyn Duke - sidekick for Shayna, not really established as wrestler
Kacy Catanzaro - prominent jobber
Marina Shafir - sidekick for Shayna, not really established as wrestler
Mia Yim - got some smaller pushes, but not in a way her character means something
Shayna Baszler - she is on TV, but not in a way she really can profit from it anymore.
Taynara Conti - jobber
Vanessa Borne - heel jobber
Xia Li - jobber

So we got Io and Shayna on top level and then we got Bianca and Mia. Shall that be the women division for regular TV?

·
24,252 Posts
Because HHH is as shitty a booker as Vince is?
He is, that's why I say that the people wishing for Triple H to take over are in for a rude awakening when they see that things won't change much then.

Triple H's go to when it comes to the women is to just book a strong dominant champion (Asuka, Shayna) to have a reigns that last ages while geeking out the rest of the roster. It is lazy and shows he has no idea how to put together good stories.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Taynara Conti still wrestles green. I'm major critical of her. Look at her, it's totally evident in the ring despite her slowly coming about being a bit more comfortable at her offense and aggressiveness.

But I really can't stand her wonky selling and her mannerisms that NXT has her doing. She comes off like a total Diva at times where it comes to the fundamentals.

I'd even dare say, arguably the most impressive match I seen her in was her greenest, against Evans back at the MYC of '17. She took a bit more of a careful pace then, and used a lot of her judo themed wrestling moves a lot more at better timed spot intervals. She wasn't acting as silly as she is now either. I just find her character today annoying and can't take her seriously at this time. I'm almost sure she's going to job out to anybody she faces because of it.

I still say she's got potential though, definitely. She's a major work in progress, and the best thing for NXT to do is bring her back into the PC to redesign her working style a bit. Make her look a lot more serious in there. She's holding a black belt every time she comes in the ring and it tends to mean nothing, because she doesn't really do anything besides slapping, kicking, and a suplex or two, along with barking nonsensically about how "Latinas do it better". Right. She could do better...

Even Vanessa Bourne seems like a little more elevated worker now than Tay does. Tay should be destroying girls, but instead, she's booked like the bratty little girl next door who throws fits to get attention.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As mentioned AG ... Conti is green and not ready for a push, yet... Rhea looks and performs like a star already and is miles ahead of your Aliyah's, Duke's, Shafir, Kacy, Borne's and Xia Lia and Gonzalez.

There are a few though that, in my opinion do looked to have something about them and have noticeably improved like Xia Li and Belair. Then you have your good workers who NXT seem to rely on to carry the green ones to good matches like Io,Candice, Deonna and Kai. I think the NXT Women's division is about to get a lot better, especially given the amount of Top talent they have like Deonna, Rhea , Io, Belair, Le Rae, Kai . Bolstered by a few up and comers like Xia Li and Vanessa borne.

Mia Yim isn't a champ and Tegan Nox will probably get injured in a coupel of months.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taynara Conti still wrestles green.
As mentioned AG ... Conti is green and not ready for a push, yet... Rhea looks and performs like a star already and is miles ahead of your Aliyah's, Duke's, Shafir, Kacy, Borne's and Xia Lia and Gonzalez.

Mia Yim isn't a champ and Tegan Nox will probably get injured in a coupel of months.
Until now NXT was the development league. So instead building up these female wrestlers and work on their weaknesses and give them some confidence, there didn`t happen much on most cases. When the show is on TV, especially when running againt AEW, there is no more time to test things etc. (So they have to bring people over from NXT UK and the main roster to heal that, I guess.)

She's holding a black belt every time she comes in the ring and it tends to mean nothing, because she doesn't really do anything besides slapping, kicking, and a suplex or two, along with barking nonsensically about how "Latinas do it better". Right. She could do better...
Even Vanessa Bourne seems like a little more elevated worker now than Tay does. Tay should be destroying girls, but instead, she's booked like the bratty little girl next door who throws fits to get attention.
Imagine you would go out there and hold up your (real) black belt everytime, just to get your behind kicked; you would feel like a joke and perform bad, as well. :)

Reactions: Alexander_G

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Then you have your good workers who NXT seem to rely on to carry the green ones to good matches like Io,Candice, Deonna and Kai.
Deonna Purrazzo should be getting booked hard. She shouldn't be the one jobbing, the others should be jobbing to her. I'm beyond tired of the rep she gets for jobbing to people she's above in skill; enough of using her like that. A steady booking of her against jobbers every other week is exactly what would build her up. This is how they built Rhea up. Deonna especially has enough potential to be the "excellence of execution" of the division. Take Mia straight out of the equation and replace her with Deonna. Mia is a failed push.

Someone like Deonna getting trashed by Belair in a jobfest is almost creepy. It insults my intelligence. She can not only hang with Bianca, she could beat Bianca 7 out of 10 times with the glaring skill difference.

The only thing Bianca has on her and most other girls is power. Besides that, Bianca is very overrated, but perhaps not as overrated as current Mia Yim.

Imagine you would go out there and hold up your (real) black belt everytime, just to get your behind kicked; you would feel like a joke and perform bad, as well. :)
Yes and not only that, the way they have her behaving. It reminds me of some sort of child or person with mental problems. I want to like her because I like her background and could like her gimmick, but she comes off so annoying I want to turn her match off. But I bear through just to see how she's coming along, which honestly isn't much of an impression to me.

I'd add, it looks like to me she's the type of wrestler who doesn't benefit very well at going at typical NXT style fast paces. I examine her movement. She needs a bit of a slower type of match to look halfway decent, because whenever she tries to work fast, she literally stumbles through everything. Her rush game is the sloppiest out of every woman in NXT, next to Bianca, who's actually improved on being less sloppy.

If Tay works on getting sharper and quits trying to be speedy when it's not her forte, she'll start looking better in the ring.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Deonna Purrazzo should be getting booked hard. She shouldn't be the one jobbing, the others should be jobbing to her. I'm beyond tired of the rep she gets for jobbing to people she's above in skill; enough of using her like that. A steady booking of her against jobbers every other week is exactly what would build her up. This is how they built Rhea up. Deonna especially has enough potential to be the "excellence of execution" of the division. Take Mia straight out of the equation and replace her with Deonna. Mia is a failed push.

Someone like Deonna getting trashed by Belair in a jobfest is almost creepy. It insults my intelligence. She can not only hang with Bianca, she could beat Bianca 7 out of 10 times with the glaring skill difference.

The only thing Bianca has on her and most other girls is power. Besides that, Bianca is very overrated, but perhaps not as overrated as current Mia Yim.

Yes and not only that, the way they have her behaving. It reminds me of some sort of child or person with mental problems. I want to like her because I like her background and could like her gimmick, but she comes off so annoying I want to turn her match off. But I bear through just to see how she's coming along, which honestly isn't much of an impression to me.

I'd add, it looks like to me she's the type of wrestler who doesn't benefit very well at going at typical NXT style fast paces. I examine her movement. She needs a bit of a slower type of match to look halfway decent, because whenever she tries to work fast, she literally stumbles through everything. Her rush game is the sloppiest out of every woman in NXT, next to Bianca, who's actually improved on being less sloppy.

If Tay works on getting sharper and quits trying to be speedy when it's not her forte, she'll start looking better in the ring.

This about Deonna. She's probably one of the best technical wrestlers in NXT at the moment. Would like to see her have a strong 2020. Mia's 'Gangsta- baddie' character is just laughable.

·
Registered
554 Posts
She's neither a famous indy wrestler nor is she someone who appeals to Triple H. People can complain about the main roster but NXT pushes are also not done on potential on who got potential.

The Four Horsewomen probably wouldn't get to evolve if they were there now

·
Registered
22,706 Posts
Because the 4 horsewomen were the focus, then Asuka was the sole focus, and now Shayna is the sole focus. Hard to build up other women when the division has been dominated by a single star the last 3 years.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
Because NXT has always had the luxury of only pushing and highlight a few people at a time. During the Horsewomen Era, the scene was basically dominated by them with a few other women sprinkled in. When they left, Bayley stayed behind and then you had Alexa, Carmella, Nia, Asuka, and Emma floating around. After Bayley left and the Draft happened, women like Nikki Cross, The IIconics, Kairi, Ember came up.

And that's left us with the most recent crop of women like Io, Shayna, Candice, Rhea, Mia, Bianca, and Dakota when healthy mixed in with some enhancement talent along the way.

My point is that NXT has always operated like this with rotating talent, though you can argue which crops are better than the others. Now, they rushed NXT to USA because of the threat of AEW, so now they'll have to play catch up.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because the 4 horsewomen were the focus, then Asuka was the sole focus, and now Shayna is the sole focus. Hard to build up other women when the division has been dominated by a single star the last 3 years.
Yeap. Shayna already is cooling off, even she is the champ. Turning into a cheating heel, to bring the other two in and that feud with "gangsta" Mia didn`t help her. She just gets older and wastes her time there since months.

Because NXT has always had the luxury of only pushing and highlight a few people at a time. During the Horsewomen Era, the scene was basically dominated by them with a few other women sprinkled in. When they left, Bayley stayed behind and then you had Alexa, Carmella, Nia, Asuka, and Emma floating around. After Bayley left and the Draft happened, women like Nikki Cross, The IIconics, Kairi, Ember came up.

And that's left us with the most recent crop of women like Io, Shayna, Candice, Rhea, Mia, Bianca, and Dakota when healthy mixed in with some enhancement talent along the way.

My point is that NXT has always operated like this with rotating talent, though you can argue which crops are better than the others. Now, they rushed NXT to USA because of the threat of AEW, so now they'll have to play catch up.
Rhea was in NXT UK all the time, so she didn`t block TV time for others the last few months. Dakota was just about to team up with Io and then they replaced her after the injury with Candice. Candice introduction as Io`s friend and Io turning on her was just done stupid! Cannot see that really helped her, but at least she is on TV the first time since many months (if you exclude her being J.W. wife). Shayna was overdone, see above and Mia+Bianca were pushed to midcard.
Io got some TV time, thats true. But she is the one who really doesn`t "need" to be build/trained in NXT, like a few other names in this thread do.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Let's not forget, it takes years to get main event/Wrestlemania level sharp in this business. Even for the 4HW it was. It helped they were gifted from the start, and Dusty/HHH and the rest who coached them into who they are now knew this. All 4 are much better wrestlers now than they were then, no doubt about it, because it's become second nature now to them.

The others at that time like Alexa, Mandy, Carmella were definitely less gifted, but the goal was to work on the strengths they did have little or big and sharpen those.

Some of them still need sharpening to this day, arguably names like Nia or Lacey.

No amount of PC training can substitute for the good old grind of experience. It helps however, to have both and continue to grow your matwork until you become a solid (or near) complete wrestler. The only metal worth being called a sword is tempered hardened metal that has withstood all the tests.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Trip's Shayna obsession for going on two years now hasn't really helped anyone. Even women like Io, Bianca, Candice, etch who feel like they SHOULD be doing more are being held back because of it.

Deonna, Xia Li, and Kacy depending on her health status all feel like they could be doing more these days at least. And hopefully they don't screw it up with Rhea because she's got "star" written all over her if used right.

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
The thing that could end up sinking Rhea is inexperience (her NXT UK women's title reign was not good), along with the fact that she acts like a typical 4chan edgelord in real life if her appearing on those streams in the past were any indication.

To be honest I can see her losing tonight and heading back to NXT UK. They need her way more over there.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So they have to bring people over from NXT UK and the main roster to heal that, I guess.
No surprise and in my opinion absolutly necessary:
https://www.wrestlingforum.com/nxt/2402986-toni-storm-reportedly-heading-nxt-main-roster.html

Trip's Shayna obsession for going on two years now hasn't really helped anyone. Even women like Io, Bianca, Candice, etch who feel like they SHOULD be doing more are being held back because of it.

Deonna, Xia Li, and Kacy depending on her health status all feel like they could be doing more these days at least.
Let's not forget, it takes years to get main event/Wrestlemania level sharp in this business.
Exactly and now it is too late. It is running against AEW and don`t forget the new policy to bring again and again the very same people in the shows. I guess, this will affect NXT as well.
So will they pile the other wrestlers in PC or Evolve?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The thing that could end up sinking Rhea is inexperience (her NXT UK women's title reign was not good), along with the fact that she acts like a typical 4chan edgelord in real life if her appearing on those streams in the past were any indication.

To be honest I can see her losing tonight and heading back to NXT UK. They need her way more over there.
Not really. Would've said you were right a year ago, but not now. She's a proven top tier. Rhea's far above 70% of her peers for her short experience. There's few higher female prospects, plus she's already over and at her young age she should be getting as much work as she can get.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts