Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before you guys say thing, I've never been a Cena fan and it fact always found him just annoying with the exception of 2003 (Didn't like him in 2003 either, I was just neutral about Cena on that year).

But seeing as how over Cena was in early-mid 2004 and with Lesnar leaving (Maybe even more over than Eddie Guerrero), why didn't they make Cena as the WWE champion right away? Instead, they decided to wait for 1 year.
Now I love JBL's title reign, but why didn't WWE make Cena as champion since he was so over with the fans?

This is not rant, just want to know why.

·
Registered
679 Posts
He wasnt a credible main event then... It would of been laughable for him to headline wrestlemania that year. Eddie was a seasoned pro, that everyone knew. Him being the Babyface champion was perfect. John Cena wasn't big enough or credible enough to be WWE Champion and they never would of created Super Heel JBL if Cena was in Eddies place.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
I dont know how true this is, reportedly Stephanie wanted to have Cena win the Rumble 2004 and go on to headline mania and win the world championship against HHH and Shawn, but HHH & Vince thought it was too early for Cena to get the World title, they wanted to wait another year. This is why Benoit was chosen to headline Mania 20. Turned out the the greatest main event of all time, didnt it?

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I dont know how true this is, reportedly Stephanie wanted to have Cena win the Rumble 2004 and go on to headline mania and win the world championship against HHH and Shawn, but HHH & Vince thought it was too early for Cena to get the World title, they wanted to wait another year. This is why Benoit was chosen to headline Mania 20. Turned out the the greatest main event of all time, didnt it?
Yeah it did.

I always thought Cena was overpushed by WWE. I mean he got his first title shot after 1 year being with the company. He also defeated Jericho after weeks of making his debut.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
from what i remember he was wildcard for the rumble in 04 but ultimately it would be benoits rumble and would go on to joint win it a year later without any real momentum. in wm 20 he would win the us title and have a run with it for the rest of the year. whereas orton had already won the ic title in 03 and was ready for the main event scene in 04.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Because back then there wasn't a need to simply throw the WWE/World title on someone to further their climb to the top before they were ready and with John Cena they actually did everything exactly right. They pushed him as a mid card heel who became so over and popular they had to turn him face and then had him as the centre piece of the mid card until he was ready for the main event which he was a year and a half later.

I just wish WWE would do this again now as outside of Dolph Ziggler through last year and the early part of this year WWE haven't had someone go through the old fashioned route of mid card and then main event although the stop and start push of Dolph Ziggler has hurt his main event push now. It appears at times they are doing this with Cody Rhodes but then he seems to get the same treatment as Dolph Ziggler at times although i'm hoping he wins back the Intercontinental title at Extreme Rules as he needs that title in order to further his push whereas The Big Show doesn't need it at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Because unlike wrestlers today WWE actually build Cena properly before they gave him world title.Even through im Cena fan im glad they gave title to Cena in 2005 and not 2004 because in begining of 2005 Cena was even more over then he was in 2004 and was actually credible enough to be world champion.Besides if they would give him title in 2004 he wouldnt have an awesome run as a US champ.So i think WWE made a good decision by giving Cena title in 2005.Bookers today should build main eventer similar like they build John Cena.You cant just give a person the WWE championship without any buildup like they did to Sheamus it hurts the prestige of a title.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
because it would be too soon

kinda like Austin in 1997 , his popularity was rising sky rocket , why put the belt on him and limit it ? no no no , you have him grow in popularity until he is red-hot in terms of fanbase , then you slap the belt on him

1 - 14 of 14 Posts