Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching some old matches on the Network of Matt Morgan vs. Benoit and even a match against Big Show and they were both good. He was pretty agile for a guy his size. He didn't move around in the ring slow like most giants. He was also good, his selling, character work, presence, look. What did they not like about him that his career was so short?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
They probably didn´t think he was good enough. The roster at that time had Lesnar, Cena, Angle, Big Show etc. The initial idea with him was that he was supposed to be Kane´s brother, but when that didn´t happen, it was a matter of "Creative got nothing for you"

·
Registered
726 Posts
As a guy who loves flippy shit, Matt Morgan was my ideal big man. He wasn't slow and plodding, he had a very unique moveset, great talker, he even had a great name for his finsher. The guy seemed to be the total package.

With all that being said I fucking hated him!! Still can't exactly pinpoint why, but every time he was on screen I just got angry. Maybe the higher ups in wwe felt the same way? Some people just rub you the wrong way

·
Registered
164 Posts
He explained it well a few weeks back on his podcast. He had pitched his Blueprint idea to Vince but he would not get behind it. There was still the mindset of what a big man should be, and being an athletic big man did not fit into that mold at that time. I am paraphrasing but that was the gist of it. This is why he likes Keith Lee and Dijakovic because they are breaking away from that mold.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
He explained it well a few weeks back on his podcast. He had pitched his Blueprint idea to Vince but he would not get behind it. There was still the mindset of what a big man should be, and being an athletic big man did not fit into that mold at that time. I am paraphrasing but that was the gist of it. This is why he likes Keith Lee and Dijakovic because they are breaking away from that mold.
Not sure how true this, Brock was an athletic big man Vince pushed to the moon. Nearly 300 pounds but had the speed and agility of a guy 100 lbs less than him.

Matt Morgan at the time just didn't have "it". Like Mark Jindrak, Luther Reigns, Snitsky and others they were never going to be main eventers.

I like what Matt Morgan did later in TNA, but in 2004/2005 he just didn't scream superstar.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Just bad timing. He came in probably just after the greatest collection of big men in history.

And maybe Vince heard he had some fancy public communications degree (proving he could talk) so thought he’d rib him by giving him a stuttering gimmick...

“Oh, you’re a great talker huh! Well your gimmick is... you can’t talk! Hahahha”

That seems to be how WWE works.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think I remember an interview where he claimed his attitude was part of it. A shame as I think he didn't even reach his full potential in TNA, let alone the rubbish stuttering gimmick in WWE.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure if this was 100% the reason he was never world champion, but injuries didn't help.

He was pretty over in TNA for awhile, but never got the world title there either. They kept throwing him in the tag team scene.

·
Registered
22,858 Posts
Morgan was fine, but nothing overly spectacular. Imposing look and height, solid skill set for a big man, not a bad talker.

But even in TNA where he was working with guys like Sting and Angle, big names in wrestling, I could never really get invested in what he was doing. He was just missing something.

He was better than how WWE used him, but never quite as good as TNA wanted him to be.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,818 Posts
Until I actually saw him work in TNA there was not a single noteworthy thing to notice during his time in WWE other than he was big.....

Btw they legit killed him of quicker with the stupid stuttering gimmick.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Let's see a legit 7'0 around 300+ was lean muscular and agile and can wrestle in promotion where at the time locker room politics was rampant and your success was based on whose cool book you were in yeah i can see why he failed.

·
SmarkSlammer
54 Posts
He didn't have any intangibles that warranted more compared to other big guys. Sure he was athletic but so was Brock and Brock knew how to put on better matches. Sure he was tall but Big Show was bigger and had more charisma. Undertaker was around who had much better character work compared to him. Matt was just a good athlete who was big. His character was one note and they already did the freak athlete thing with Brock Lesnar.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,076 Posts
Yeah it was probably bad timing. He came into at a time when WWE had a number of big man wrestlers so he was just another big man really. If he had debuted today, there's a fair chance he'd be a big main eventer now.

He should have done better in TNA though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts