Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved the KOTR tournament, especially when they raised the stakes by having the winner in 2002 (Lesnar) face the WWE Champion at Summerslam. This made KOTR essentially the mid-year equivalence to winning the Royal Rumble. Then, WWE essentially ditched it. Sure, we had a few KOTR tournaments, but they did not have any high stakes and it was not nearly as comprehensive as it used to be. This would be an excellent way to build up anyone they'd like and make them credible for a SummerSlam title shot. The anticipation would be quite high as well. What are your thoughts on this? I'm not saying that there has to be a PPV titled KOTR, but having the tournament back in full-form would be great.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I don't get this one either. Just like the royal rumble, tournaments have built in intrigue and I don't even really understand why they're not doing one now to settle the vacancy. Every sport has a tournament of some kind and it only makes sense for WWE to have their own version of it.

The idea that a guy like Bret Hart could wrestle three times in one night was also a draw to me. Imagine if Daniel Bryan won King of the Ring to kick off his WWE Title push this summer by beating Randy Orton in the finals, who in turn won MITB and cashed it in when Bryan got his title shot. It would have all tied together really well, but they're not doing things like that.

I think what bugs me more is the inconsistency. Some years they have KOTR, other years they don't. It's like the McRib.

I know there's a section of people who don't like gimmick PPVs, but I've always thought ones like Royal Rumble, King of the Ring, and anything where you gather a good section of the roster to elevate one person for a night have always been solid. Even Money in the Bank, while I'm tired of the briefcase, I enjoy the PPV and the matches usually.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Because we have this new concept called Money in the Bank. It is essentially the same thing, but totally uninteresting and cheap.

·
You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
1,102 Posts
It was getting dated, and I think they felt it was played out. While Poffo up there made jokes-- I do think Money in the Bank was a bit of a re-visioning of KOTR.

I actually think we'll see it back. What a GREAT fucking way to let the mid-carders shine, too. I'd love to see it come back but with some REAL quality matches/match-ups, not just Tensai vs. whoever-is-obvious-to-win. Though, let's be honest, I'd like to see that too lol

·
Registered
915 Posts
I don't get this one either. Just like the royal rumble, tournaments have built in intrigue and I don't even really understand why they're not doing one now to settle the vacancy. Every sport has a tournament of some kind and it only makes sense for WWE to have their own version of it.

The idea that a guy like Bret Hart could wrestle three times in one night was also a draw to me. Imagine if Daniel Bryan won King of the Ring to kick off his WWE Title push this summer by beating Randy Orton in the finals, who in turn won MITB and cashed it in when Bryan got his title shot. It would have all tied together really well, but they're not doing things like that.

I think what bugs me more is the inconsistency. Some years they have KOTR, other years they don't. It's like the McRib.

I know there's a section of people who don't like gimmick PPVs, but I've always thought ones like Royal Rumble, King of the Ring, and anything where you gather a good section of the roster to elevate one person for a night have always been solid. Even Money in the Bank, while I'm tired of the briefcase, I enjoy the PPV and the matches usually.
My thoughts exactly man.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts

:clap

Well said whole post.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
Vince Mahon reportedly dislikes tournaments and Kevin Dunn likes to strip the WWE of anything that makes it look "legitimate."

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Part of the blame goes to the crowds these days. They just don't pop for wrestlers if they see them more than once. I'm talking about the top guys. If they did a one night tournament with Daniel Bryan winning, then by the third match the crowd would be less hot for him than they were for his 1st round. You could argue that every RAW, Smackdown and PPV, the first notable guy to appear is assured to have one of the 5 best reactions of the night.

I would never bring it back as a PPV but Id bring the concept back to TV like they have in the past and have the King of the Ring final match on the next PPV.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It was an odd time to end it too, Brock Lesnar being the last person to win before it had sporadic returns to get over King Booker, William Regal and Sheamus, Brock Lesnar was not a flop so an odd note to finish on.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Have KOTR replace Elimination Chamber and you will witness a very unpredictable and interesting Road to Wrestlemania.

The Chamber makes no sense, especially when 10 other wrestlers are given a shot at the world title before the Rumble winner even gets his chance at WM.

At least with KOTR you can build a legitimate star. It'll make Mania feel more special, simply because you have so many competitors fighting it out in events like the Rumble and KOTR, just so the winners can get a title shot in the grandest stage of them all, Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'd be happy if they did it at a survivor series again, say DBry wins at HiaC, triple h makes him defend the title in a tournament, the deadly game tournament was pretty epic back in the day.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There's simply no time in the calender year to have a KOTR tournament where the winner can receive the right push and take up one of the limited main event slots. The MITB winners/storyline takes you from July to about Survivor Series, then you've got the road to Wrestlemania with rumble/EC winners who should be in the main spotlight. Then Wrestlemania itself. Then the aftermath of Wrestlemania with whoever you've pushed as the champion needs to be the main guy. Then you're back at MITB again.

You cannot have a KOTR winner, 2 MITB winners, Royal Rumble winner, EC winner all having the rights to a title shot, and pushing all those guys correctly and legitimately in 1 calender year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts