Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SGT. AT ARMS
22,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
He was one of the funniest and entertaining parts of TNA when he was the Carter's personal chief of staff. From his goofy suits to his over exaggerated facial expressions and funny one liners.

But TNA just stripped away everything that was entertaining about Spud, they don't understand he's not Daniel Bryan. He isn't really anything special in the ring, he's ok but he's not an amazing wrestler/underdog like Bryan. Spud was good for one thing, comedy. But TNA seem to think making him all serious and building him up as this underdog that overcomes odds is the way to go just cause he was getting over.

Yeah he was getting over because he was funny, i don't wanna see a super serious Rockstar Spud that i'm supposed to believe can beat EC3 and win titles. He was perfect as that little lackey that went and got coffee and made me laugh. This new Rockstar Spud that stands up for himself and never says anything funny anymore isn't who i wanna see. TNA ruined one of the best acts they had.

And the fact that EC3 is in a serious feud with Spud is hilarious considering he's beaten Kurt Angle was being pushed as a top heel for a while. I could understand if Spud was this amazing technical wrestler or high flyer but he's not. He's a small runt thats no better than any other lower card guy in TNA. If EC3 loses to Spud he's gonna look horrible and all his credibility will be lost, if Spud loses big deal EC3 beat a tiny little weakling and it does nothing for him except make him look dumb for wasting so much time on him.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
From what I have heard EC3 is hurt so limited to what he can do. So going against a smaller opponent makes sense. Either way EC3 is not ready to be pushed into the ME and World title picture. So taking on a former lackey is a way to keep him going forward. I agree that Spud is great as a comedy act full of personallity but what is wrong with creating a deeper character who can get serious when he feels insulted and defending himself and his friends. I do not understand why people think a new direction for a few months "ruins" someone. If all goes well Spud will be around for years and this is simply a bump on the road. If you look at the careers of the greats, no I am not saying Spud will be a great, I bet you can find periods that they were not booked in a great way. Those times did not hurt their careers.

Also it is good to remember that Spud entered this profession to be a wrestler. So to reward him for his manager gifts it is good to let him wrestle now and then. If he is just an easy win all the time then future matches will have ZERO credibility. But if he can show some chance of winning then fans can cheer for him in just the HOPE that he can finally pull a big upset. He does not need to but just the chance can get people behind him.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Spud is one of the most over and entertaining aspects TNA has right now. TNA is molding him as his own and pretty well, IMO. He's a pretty good underdog the crowd can believe in and that is what matters.

If anything, this feud with EC3 has put an even more realistic layer to his character.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I agree. the reason Spud was over and popular was because of the way TNA was using him. I don't see a reason why you have to change something that is working.
The fans are more uppity now when he comes out than before though. The fans are behind him with his struggle with EC3 and Tyrus. I don't see any drop in "overness" or "popularity"..if anything he is more over.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Spud had so much potential. His super heel stuff on the UK scene was amazing. The Dixie Carter crap was still gold at points but I want to see him WRESTLE.

Hell knows what they will do with Andrews.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The fans are more uppity now when he comes out than before though. The fans are behind him with his struggle with EC3 and Tyrus. I don't see any drop in "overness" or "popularity"..if anything he is more over.
the fans from the most recent spoilers are from the UK, the same as Spud.

the guy just shouldn't be wrestling, the same as back in the day the likes of Bobby Heenan/Jimmy Hart weren't wrestling either. he can play a good underdog role. but what makes someone an underdog is that they don't win often.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Fail to see how spud was "ruined". He was getting babyface pops as a heel...

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
Spud is getting one of the biggest reactions on the show as a babyface so I don't see how anything they've done ruined him. EC3 gets to look like a bully while recovering, Spud gets to add something to his character and the people actually care about this feud. Only negative is Tyrus wrestling right now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well if you can't wrestle. Why are you on a wrestling program? Go get a TV job. That said I'm waiting to see what this tag team does. Spud could be a manager or a color guy. But guys like Daniels that has bleed sweat and paid the price don't have TV jobs. How is he better then Daniels?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well if you can't wrestle. Why are you on a wrestling program? Go get a TV job. That said I'm waiting to see what this tag team does. Spud could be a manager or a color guy. But guys like Daniels that has bleed sweat and paid the price don't have TV jobs. How is he better then Daniels?
what would be defined as can't wrestle? if someone for example has a ceiling for their wrestling ability as say a 3, that doesn't mean they couldn't still be one of the best in professional wrestling. there are other factors that are also important. many top superstars weren't known for having the best "wrestling" matches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts