Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we generally tried to shorten terms, not lengthen them? It just seems stupid that we always used to call the # sign "pound" and now it's hashtag. Whoever came up with this is not a progressive thinker. And on phones recordings tell us to press the pound key, but in new language isn't it now a hashtag key?

I know this not an important topic but I am bored and it popped into my mind. What does everyone think?

I see I just misspelled the with thd, cant fix it.

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,696 Posts
Re: Why did thd "pound" become "hashtag"?

Press 'Edit', then 'Go advanced' and you can edit the thread title.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

Think of all the hilarious hastags that would exist if you said pound before it instead of hashtag.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts

probably because European countries use the word pound for currency. When speaking it could sound confusing. Either way the word "hashtag" is pretty stupid.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts

£ = Pound.

# = Hash key.
This. It would make more sense to you if you spoke English properly.

Used to piss me off when I was in the States "Hit the pound key." There is no fucking pound key, it's a telephone! I ended up asking the receptionist at my hotel what a pound key was and she looked at me like I was retarded.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Think of all the hilarious hastags that would exist if you said pound before it instead of hashtag.
lol yeah can you imagine someone saying "pound yourmomma" as a topic

This. It would make more sense to you if you spoke English properly.

Used to piss me off when I was in the States "Hit the pound key." There is no fucking pound key, it's a telephone! I ended up asking the receptionist at my hotel what a pound key was and she looked at me like I was retarded.
Yeah, every country has different words. Come here and say "pop the boot" and see the perplexed looks you get, almost no one will know its the trunk.

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,696 Posts

probably because European countries use the word pound for currency. When speaking it could sound confusing. Either way the word "hashtag" is pretty stupid.
Not all European countries. Just the Brits.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Not all European countries. Just the Brits.
I never figured out why the Brits keep the pound and push the Euro on other EU countries. If the UK wants to be in the EU they should use the same currency the EU pushes on other EU countries. I'm guessing the people voted to keep the pound and most people in other countries didn't care what they used.

·
Si
915 Posts
It's always been the 'hash' key. That's why it was called the 'hashtag'.

Please not, '#' is still the hash key. Followed by words, it's a hashtag.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
It's the hash button.

Also used to depict the word number, so someone being number 1 would look like;

BRUCE KLEE #1

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
# is a "hash" it's only a "hash tag" when on Twitter (and now on facebook and instagram too) because it helps you to tag things...

I thought this was common knowledge.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
It's the hash button.

Also used to depict the word number, so someone being number 1 would look like;

BRUCE KLEE #1
to ellaborate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

"Mainstream use in the US is as follows: when it precedes a number, it is read as "number", as in "a #2 pencil" (spoken aloud as: "a number-two pencil"). A theory claims that back in early 1900, the Teletype Corporation was the first to use # to mean "number""

1 - 17 of 17 Posts