Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even now, people look upon it with some fondness. Everyone understands the level of impact that it had. But to this day, I never have and I still see nothing good of it. So....why did people like it? Why do people like it? What makes NWO work? Is it name recognition? Like, big time stars all teaming up? The dream team effect? You tell me.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in, the inmates really were running the asylum? So what? What makes that such a big deal? I admit, had they positive repercussions on future wrestlers I'd see why you can like that, but no other real reason.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Three words, Hollywood Hulk Hogan. He was the straw that stirred the drink.

The NWO wouldn't have been anywhere near the success it would have been without him turning heel.

It was truly shocking to see someone who was such a heroic figure for so many years to so many people just do a complete 180 degree turn!

As the years went by, Eric Bischoff, Hall, and Nash mentioned names of guys who would've been a "3rd man" had Hogan decided not to do it. I think they were discussing guys like Sting, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart being the 3rd man.

Seeing those guys as a part of the Hostile Takeover may have been cool for maybe a quick shock, but the NWO wouldn't have been the biggest thing in wrestling for the years that it was.

People still wear NWO shirts today, 14 years later!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The internet still was still in it's early stages and although there were some wrestling websites and chat rooms, the insider information wasn't as easily accessible as it is today. Lots of people just had no idea that Hall and Nash had actually resigned from the WWF and had contracts with WCW so when two of the WWF's biggest stars, known to most as Diesel and Razor Ramon, showed up on Nitro using their real names and said they were taking over, it all had a realistic and believable feel to it. Then of course there's one of the ballsiest moves in wrestling history of turning the biggest icon in wrestling heel and leading the group. The rest is history..

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
The internet still was still in it's early stages and although there were some wrestling websites and chat rooms, the insider information wasn't as easily accessible as it is today. Lots of people just had no idea that Hall and Nash had actually resigned from the WWF and had contracts with WCW so when two of the WWF's biggest stars, known to most as Diesel and Razor Ramon, showed up on Nitro using their real names and said they were taking over, it all had a realistic and believable feel to it. Then of course there's one of the ballsiest moves in wrestling history of turning the biggest icon in wrestling heel and leading the group. The rest is history..
This.

That wouldn't have worked in this day & age.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
This.

That wouldn't have worked in this day & age.

Basically- but I think they could have something similar if there was another equally popular company today. Would it last as long, no, but it would still be huge. The excitement of people jumping from company to company was a huge deal back in the day, and it is just a dynamic that doesn't exist anymore. Some of those debuts were so hot, they immediately pushed that wrestler up to the next level. NWO. Jericho, Benoit + Eddie. And it also helped whoever was facing that person because it was two characters who never faced each other. Alberto del rio had a nice debut because they did the vignette treatment (which they should do more often), but you just dont have that initital 'this is awesome' heat that kickstarts a debut angle anymore, and that had a lot of impact.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
It was done very well, in terms of Invasion angles go. Mostly everything made sense. At the time it was something new. It was just cool and you didn't know what exactly would happen.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
Fun fact: most of that theme contains samples from Jimi Hendrix songs.
Yeah Hulk Hogan was a big Jimi Hendrix fan, proberly his idea. "Hey listen up brothers, we're gonna use good old Jimi Hendrix in our theme song, and if you don't like that then all I gotta say is. Whatcha gonna do, when these 24 inch pythons and jimi hendrix, run wild on you" Then an undead Jimi Hendrix walks into the room with his guitar in one hand, and a bag of heroin in the other.

But anyway, yeah as someone already said, NWO were anti-establishment. Everyone loves rebels, and these guys were so popularity wise, they kind've played on the whole rebellous role. But also Hogan being the big draw he is, had a hand in it too.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
take one look at them, and it pretty much answers the question.

at that time, they were the EPITOME of cool, it oozed out of their goddamn pores. you don't find many personalities like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think part of why the nWo felt so rebellious and disrespectful is WCW still being a "wrasslin'" company with a very strict understanding of faces and heels. Vince and co. were already on the sports entertainment train, so a group of guys constantly demeaning 'tradition' wouldn't have had the same effect up north. WCW was a dinosaur even then, and the disparity between what they were doing and what Nash, Hall and heel Hogan brought to the table shocked everyone into paying attention.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Because they were ubercool, larger than life street thugs. The look, the music, mannerisms, talking, women wanted to fuck them, men wanted to be like they.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
At the time of the WCW fall, it was said that the NWO was the reason.
Thats because at that point there had been about 10 different versions of the NWO and it was getting beyond silly. The original run, all the way up to Hogan vs Sting, was great stuff.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
In the beginning it worked because nobody knew what was going on. This was before everybody had the internet, so nobody knew that Nash and Hall left WWF for WCW. Plus, nobody saw the Hogan heel turn coming.

After a while though, it just got silly with all the different versions. Did we really need a Latino World Order?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts