Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people can go on forever talking about what WWE should do to make it more like attitude era but what I want to know is why did so much ppl give up on Raw the moment they went from WWF to WWE.

The very first Raw under WWE the ratings dropped big time. It was exact same show, exact same stage, exact same roster just with a diff name, so why did people suddenly just give up watching it during that time? There was still rock,austin wrestling regularly and wcw got bought out meaning wcw stars appearing on tv too, so dont see how the name change made people tune out all of a sudden.

Raw was pulling high 4's, low 5's before the name change and when the name change happened, they dropped to mid 3's-low 4's and have only once consistently pulled 4's in ratings(2006) since then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You sound disappointed that people did not embrace the name change fully.

What is an "Entertainment" ?

The term "Federation" sounds more serious. And commentators used to say "This is the greatest match in the history of the federation..."

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
I don't know a single person who stopped watching when that happened.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
I don't think that anybody did that, and even if they did it was wrong of them, In my mind, the attitude era ended in 2007, DX still stuck it to the man in 06.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
At some point in 2006 I quit watching before WrestleMania 22. I found the shaming of Eddie's death just disgraceful. Started watching again breifly in 2008, but the Cena/JBL feud of 2008 was fucking insulting to me at he time som I quit watching again until late 2009.

It comes down to putting out a boring product for a certain ammount of time that I lose interest. Also a lot to do with the deteriorating talent roster. TNA has put out mostly garbage for years, but I still watch for the talent. The WWE doesn't even have the talent to keep me interested. Happened again for me this year after Summerslam. It feels like a chore to watch the weekly shows now.

lol any DX incarnation post 1998 has been a joke

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
At some point in 2006 I quit watching before WrestleMania 22. I found the shaming of Eddie's death just disgraceful. Started watching again breifly in 2008, but the Cena/JBL feud of 2008 was fucking insulting to me at he time som I quit watching again until late 2009.

It comes down to putting out a boring product for a certain ammount of time that I lose interest. Also a lot to do with the deteriorating talent roster. TNA has put out mostly garbage for years, but I still watch for the talent. The WWE doesn't even have the talent to keep me interested. Happened again for me this year after Summerslam. It feels like a chore to watch the weekly shows now.

lol any DX incarnation post 1998 has been a joke

What was this JBL/Cena fued about, why was it so offending?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sound disappointed that people did not embrace the name change fully.

What is an "Entertainment" ?

The term "Federation" sounds more serious. And commentators used to say "This is the greatest match in the history of the federation..."
WWF was technically WWFE though just like how TNA is still technically TNAE.

Nothing wrong with calling it WWE, I'm just saying that it seems dumb how the ratings took a big hit and never really rebounded ever since the name change(look on sites that show ratings for raw, you'll see how much they changed from 2000-2001 and then look at the huge difference when comparing 2001-2002 and later years)

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Cena said JBL was poopy or something really pathetic and I just had no interest in watching any longer.
I don't know why people found the poopy thing so insulting. I thought Cena was trying to be funny. I laughed a little when he wrote poopy on the limo.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
yes that is it. it was insulting to my inteligence at that point and I felt like I was watching at episode of Arthur not WWE Raw.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
It's not like RAW has been a paragon of wit and intelligence prior to the poopy thing. It's pro wrestling it's best not to take it too seriously.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I found it to be just pathetic myself. There were plenty of other programs on TV that didn't feel that insulting to my intelligence at that point. If that kind of stuff entertains you guys that's cool though.

The guy asked why people gave up and I gave my reasons. It wasn't only that though. The product was stale anyway, that was just the straw that broke the camels back. It was something that made me think.. Wow I'm 17 (at the time) why the fuck am I watching this shit?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
The people who stopped watching are the fuckplanks you see on Youtube videos of wrestling saying "OMFGZ THE WWE SUCKS, WE WANT WWF BACK IT WAS SO MUCH BETTERZ!!!"

We don't need morons like that.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Well I dont know why people would have stopped watching when it went from WWF to WWE. I personally found it to start lacking in 2007 right after Benoit's mini murder spree.

I was even at the Smackdown taping the day after RAW is Benoit and it was just sad. They didn't even try to put on a show they were so scared to do anything. It didn't start getting better until the Orton/McMahon/HHH/Stephanie feud.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Yeah Benoit murdering his family contributed a lot to the tone down of the product. People blame it on Linda running for office, but I think the Benoit ordeal hurting the WWE's image had a WHOLE lot more to do with it.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
The short answer is that thay haven't. The ratings may appear lower than they were back in the good old times, but thet is deceptive. There are more people who have cable than there were in the attitude era, and thus a similar number of people are watching despite the lower rating.

In fact, there were more people watching wresting on Jan 4th than there were at some points during the Monday night wars, when both companies would have been happy with their ratings.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I gave up somewhere around the end of the first month of the Invasion story. To me it was "great... we get to see every WCW wrestler get squashed for the next year." So I thought that there was no point of watching. I didn't really start watching again until a week or so after the Benoit murders. It kind of helped me remember that pro wrestling existed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts