Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wasnt around for this. wasnt the whole point of this angle was to get these new guys over? only one they really succeed was Barrett. I wouldnt say Otunga or D. Bry because their characters are completely different than back then. The second most successful out of the Nexus i see is Heath Slater, only because i see him on TV often.

Justin Gabriel i haven't seen in months, Mason Ryan i last seen when Miz was looking for a bodyguard, it was miz right? Skip has been repackaged as Ryback and Darren Young just debut, again i suppose. what happened to all these guys? were they not just as strong as they were banded together?

·
Great One?..
10,841 Posts
Well what would be the point of a winner if everyone got pushes? Barrett won and they needed to only push him, the rest lost and kayfabe wise were irrelevant now.

Now that every seems to have forgot about Nexus the pushes are beginning for Skip, Young, David O.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Wade is in a decent position

Otunga will probably have a good future if he doesn't retire early. He has the perfect look and is funny on the mic

Ryan will probably return when he is better in the ring

(had quit watching back then but wasn't Ryback there?) Ryback will get the push of a life time soon enough

Who cares about Slater and Gabriel

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I'd hardly call face Daniel Bryan a jobber. He immediately went over The Miz for the U.S. Title and had two different programs with Dolph Ziggler and Ted DiBiase in which he won most (if not all) of the matches. As often as he lost, he was never banished to the lesser shows for large chunks of time (and when he did appear on Superstars or NXT, he usually won decisively). During his face run, he never lost to anyone lower than upper midcard.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lets look at it realistically
c
Barrett - would have been at Mania had his injury not taken him out.
Ryback - same thing really - now that he's back he's being pushed.
Otunga - his skill set was lower than the others but he has slowly developed and is apparently likely to win the US title soon.
Bryan - had a world title defence at Mania so not really a jobber.

Gabriel - had a few tag title runs but they seem at a loss of what to do with him at the moment. his finisher is over live though.
Slater - same as Gabriel but without the sweet finisher. Both guys work Superstars on the whole.

Young - probably the rawest of all and he's still around

7 of the inital 8 are still employed and 4 are probably best considered in the top 1/2 of the roster.

Tarver had little in the way of skills or charisma and his attitude annoyed a few people. So he was cut

Harris & McGillicutty - tacked into the late era Nexus when the angle was on the way out. Harris is being retooled while Henning is pretty much a curtain jerker although he did get a couple of tag title runs. Both are likely to stay a while because people loved their dads and both guys are nice guys who know the biz and can accept their roles for now.

Truth be told out of any 10 guys getting called up to the roster the Nexus guys level of success is actually pretty high. Look at the guys given shots in the subsequent NXT seasons. Most have been released, some sent back to developmental but to be honest none have really got over.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
have to admit, apart from Michael Tarver (and i dont really want to put Daniel Bryan in this group) everybody from season 1 has done alright

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice post Alpha, i had forgotten most of the NXT rookies but you forgot Broduc Clay from the newer series ^^ :)
Yep he got to dance around like a fool at Mania so I guess he's over with someone. He's probably the most over of all the guys who competed in those later series though.

Ironically the girls had a solid strike rate with Maxine, AJ, Kaitlyn and Naomi all being on the Main Roster out of the 6 girls used in that series 3.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
because wwe scrwed up.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
When were they not jobbers?

They were NEVER booked to go over thus they became a joke, pretty quick. It was a very creative and new idea to introduce a group like them and all they did was make them look weak any chance they got. The Main Event of Summerslam 2010 was one of the top ten worst booked matches I've ever seen and after that they were dead in the water, just attempting to stay afloat. Then the WWE complains about not have "star power". Well?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nexus was, IMO, the most promising angle in a good 3 of 4 years. Pity WWE screwed it up. Although I much prefer Barrett as a singles wrestler (that may be the patriotic side of me coming out..)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I liked a lot of the Nexus.

Wade - Awesome.
Otunga - Probably my favorite person to come out of the Nexus. I really hope they keep him around.
Slater - I hated him so much that I started liking him.
Skip - Came back as Ryback, which is a fun gimmick so far.
Bryan - He's having a good run atm.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ah the nexus too bad they were doomed to failure as soon as the following things occurred:

-The loss of Daniel Bryan, it hurt the Nexus and him because the Nexus lost a good wrestler and he's generic as fuck as a face.

-the injury to Skip Sheffield/Ryback- with him gone Nexus lost its exclamation point and its beatdowns didn't have the same impact as before.

-they were involved with John Cena, I mean any interaction with Cena would have lead to Cena beating them eventually so even though attacking him was a good start, had they had more time to grow as a group and had they started out beating up some of the mid-carders then maybe things could have went differently for them

-Michael Tarver being in the group, this guy fucking sucked on all accounts not just wrestling, Alex Riley would have been a better fit for Nexus had he been a part of the first season of NXT

-the Corre and New Nexus crap, this was dumb they broke up the Nexus sent half of them into a far weaker version to SmackDown and they turned the other half into CM Punk's lackeys. And they lost their identity, they went from outsiders wanting contracts, then getting those contracts and wanting to take over the company ALL THE WAY to running after CM Punk and being fed to Randy Orton.

Even though things have sort of worked out for a few of the guys who were a part of Nexus, had WWE booked it differently and had they not had those setbacks then maybe the Barretts and Bryans of this world wouldn't have spent as much time in the wilderness as they (mostly barrett) had.

Oh and the Nexus was the reason for the awful idea of the anonymous general manager I couldn't wait for that to end.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts