Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to watch TNA a couple of times back in 2005 but I just couldn't get into it and this was when most of the IWC claimed that TNA was superior to the WWE. What I'd like to know is, what exactly did TNA have to offer back then that was superior to the WWE? Some said it was the X Division but I didn't like the couple of matches I've watched including that Joe vs. Styles vs. Daniels Title match back in 2005 which apparently is considered one of the best matches in TNA's History.
Also, what made TNA going from IWC's favorite Wrestling promotion to biggest joke in the world?

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
I hated TNA back in the so called "golden years". I never could and never will buy AJ, Joe and Daniels as legit top guys. The X Division was always overrated spotfest bullshit with no reason to care about the wrestlers in it because none of em had charisma or personality. Jeff Jarrett and Raven were the only guys that made the product watchable back then.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Tna was better back then ,by a good bit too.Tna now and then are in a stark contrast.They actually had logical storylines ,had direction and the quality of there matches was top class.There ppv's in perticular where great ,from top to bottom where great.2005-2006 where their best years in my opinion.

Raven as champ ,a red hot x division and a immense tag division.I couldn't ask for more.WWE wasn't great these years too so thats why I think people consider it to be alot better.

As for what happened.........I'd blame it on these people.

I'd only blame it on these to a certain degree.More so i'd blame it on this guy.Tna was worse yet again than it is now before Hogan and co came in a one stage believe it or not.

In my opinion tna started going downhill around the time Angle joined ,obviously not his fault though.I think the deparatures of Dusty Rhodes and Scott Demore and Dutch Mantell was the main reason for Tna going down hill.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Possibly a touch of eliteism, the same eliteism that cause many of us to say ROH is better than WWE (although that's actually true). TNA were the new kids on the block with an exciting young roster ably backed by a few veterans in key positions, none of whom were too big to put over a few youngsters in our eyes. Most of us expected the younger guys to eventually replace the vets at the top of the card, since this didn't happen and they've gone even further in relying on the vets, this has caused many of us to lose patience with them.

Oh, and Vince Russo.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
TNA used to revolve around wrestling and they had a good show going on for long periods. The Samoa Joe unbeaten run etc...

Only problem in this time was the only people watching were the IWC and the people getting in for free at Orlando. Further proof that you cant make a company that pleases the IWC because it doesnt make money.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
TNA was a promotion with a lot of bullshit from day one, but from 05-06 I think they were putting on a better product than WWE top to bottom. TNA went downhill in 2007 and has had up and down periods since in my opinion. Bischoff and Hogan of course are "killing TNA" and all this internet bullshit but the product this year was better than the last few years to me, and actually had considerably less "Russo angles" that TNA always gets criticized for.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hated TNA back in the so called "golden years". I never could and never will buy AJ, Joe and Daniels as legit top guys. The X Division was always overrated spotfest bullshit with no reason to care about the wrestlers in it because none of em had charisma or personality. Jeff Jarrettand Raven were the only guys that made the product watchable back then.
oh lord, Jarrett has never been a big reason to watch any show that would make him a draw, which he is not, he never was and he certianly never will be..then again your the guy who says he's a draw, i guess this is expected...

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
I'm actually right now working my way through all the 2005 PPV's from TNA. There were some damn good cards and damn good fights throughout that year.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
tna was better than wwe during the years for one reason and one reason only, and that reason is the instant classic christian cage

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
It is partially that the IWC has a lot of fans who are mainly fans of the 'wrestling' part of pro wrestling, and TNA had better matches. It is also a little bit of the grass is always greener' syndrome, IWC has this obsession with young guys, unknown guys, and guys they know from watching ROH and other indy shows on the internet. Back then the show had great wrestling, but everything else was complete dog shit, from characters/personalities to production values.

Now, the wrestling isn't as good but the character development and presentation is 100x better. The storylines are probably a little better, but that has always been hit or miss in TNA. I actually think That TNA is better than WWE right now, but that is more a testament to how horrendously unwatchable wwe has become, rather than TNA's greatness.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly a touch of eliteism, the same eliteism that cause many of us to say ROH is better than WWE (although that's actually true). TNA were the new kids on the block with an exciting young roster ably backed by a few veterans in key positions, none of whom were too big to put over a few youngsters in our eyes. Most of us expected the younger guys to eventually replace the vets at the top of the card, since this didn't happen and they've gone even further in relying on the vets, this has caused many of us to lose patience with them.

Oh, and Vince Russo.
Yeah I kinda had the feeling that those were the main reasons, also didn't Angle got most titles at the same time a couple of months after getting there? And didn't people complain about his series of matches with Samoa Joe?

RatedRudy said:
tna was better than wwe during the years for one reason and one reason only, and that reason is the instant classic christian cage
Really? I could've swore that most people were getting disappointed with him after a while and were claiming that he wasn't as good as a Face but then again, the IWC pretty much says that about every single Wrestler.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You had Samoa Joe killing fools left and right, you had AJ and Daniels doing their thing not to mention the X Division being strong as a whole, you had Christian Cage shining as the main eventer he always deserved to be, you had the introduction of Kurt Angle into the company, you had TNA as a real alternative that was heading further into the right direction. Personally, I thought TNA was awesome back then but not everybody will agree so to each his own I guess.

·
Premium Member
44,309 Posts
In 2006, they definitely were. The TNA product back then was very exciting and very well executed on all levels. X Division was great. Tag team division was great. Main event storylines were great. It was just a very exciting show to watch. WWE was really pissing me off at the time with the DX vs. McMahons feud (I hated it), ECW being handled so poorly, and 06 was also the start of Cena as Superman where he would come out on top no matter what, even if it wasn't the best decision to do so. For example, I was royally pissed that Edge dropped the belt only three weeks after winning it. Why'd they even have him win it in the first place if they were just going to have that be the payoff?

2007, TNA faltered from where they were the year before with some dumb things here & there on the creative level. However, when compared to WWE, I thought they were still better. TNA in 2007 did have the best Heavyweight Division in company history with Christian Cage, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe moving up, Sting performing well, appearances from AJ Styles & Abyss in that scene as well, & younger talents like Harris, Storm, Kaz, & Roode getting chances to shine as being credible heavyweights. There were definite dents in the armor though like the awful 3D/LAX feud, some dumb gimmick matches, & some stupid skits on TV. However, again when compared to WWE, I have to give the edge to TNA. Mainly because WWE in 2007 was so boring. That was the year of the long ass Cena title reign and it was just so mindnumbing. It was the same thing every month. Cena & Bad Guy of the month exchange words, Cena wins at the PPV. Wash, Rinse, & Repeat. There was no storyline. Just that...every month! And then Smackdown got destroyed by injuries to the point that Great Khali had to take the belt...yikes.

Looking back though and comparing it to 2010, its amazing to think about, but BOTH TNA & WWE have gotten much worse. Incredible, but I can't help but feel that way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In 2006, they definitely were. The TNA product back then was very exciting and very well executed on all levels. X Division was great. Tag team division was great. Main event storylines were great. It was just a very exciting show to watch. WWE was really pissing me off at the time with the DX vs. McMahons feud (I hated it), ECW being handled so poorly, and 06 was also the start of Cena as Superman where he would come out on top no matter what, even if it wasn't the best decision to do so. For example, I was royally pissed that Edge dropped the belt only three weeks after winning it. Why'd they even have him win it in the first place if they were just going to have that be the payoff?

2007, TNA faltered from where they were the year before with some dumb things here & there on the creative level. However, when compared to WWE, I thought they were still better. TNA in 2007 did have the best Heavyweight Division in company history with Christian Cage, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe moving up, Sting performing well, appearances from AJ Styles & Abyss in that scene as well, & younger talents like Harris, Storm, Kaz, & Roode getting chances to shine as being credible heavyweights. There were definite dents in the armor though like the awful 3D/LAX feud, some dumb gimmick matches, & some stupid skits on TV. However, again when compared to WWE, I have to give the edge to TNA. Mainly because WWE in 2007 was so boring. That was the year of the long ass Cena title reign and it was just so mindnumbing. It was the same thing every month. Cena & Bad Guy of the month exchange words, Cena wins at the PPV. Wash, Rinse, & Repeat. There was no storyline. Just that...every month! And then Smackdown got destroyed by injuries to the point that Great Khali had to take the belt...yikes.

Looking back though and comparing it to 2010, its amazing to think about, but BOTH TNA & WWE have gotten much worse. Incredible, but I can't help but feel that way.
I could agree with your points on TNA in 2006 being better than TNA 2010 wrestling/storyline wise (even though exposure to the productwas pretty poor then), but at the same time I CANNOT agree with your point about TNA 2007 being better than TNA now.

In 2007 there were too many retarded things going on like storylines involving bob backlund, Karen Angle (most annoying person in wrestling), Scott hall no showing turning point, and Samoa Joe's worked shoot at that event (a true wrestlecrap moment), Rikishi in TNA which didn't make sense and was boring, oh and that Sting v Daniels fued that went nowhere.

TBH, I'd even rate TNA 2009 better than TNA in 2007..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Simply put: they focused on a different piece of professional wrestling, which provided an actual alternative. Story lines were still around, but pretty much everybody on the roster back then had something to contribute to the product in the ring and the focus was on that.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
2006 was TNA's best year by far. TNA was indeed better for a couple years there, but it's been a lost cause for years now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
In 2006, TNA was definitely superior. Due to a lot of factors such as DX dominating Raw, King Booker dominating the latter half of the year with Smackdown, Benoit's sabbatical causing match quality to drop a quarter of the year, the feud with "God", TNA was overall just more enjoyable to watch. Things were much more simple then.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,996 Posts
LAX angle.
Samoa Joe's red hot 'division killer' push.
Kurt Angle's big debut.
The beginning stages of The Beautiful People and the Knockouts Division.
Peak of the X-Division's powers.
The novelty of seeing Christian in a main event spot.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts