Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,081 Posts
I completely disagree the fans were determined to ruin this match because supposingly “Roman doesn’t deserve to main event”. It has nothing to do with the storytelling as they were booing everything about Roman before he even had the chance to do anything .
This is absolutely totally not true. They were booing Roman, justifiably, long long LONG before he had ever made it to the main event. They booed Roman for good reasons, and WWE just kept their head down, said fuck you fans, and booked a lame boring 80's Roman vs the Titan story. It was fucking boring, Roman was lame and ruined, and it was VERY much Vinces fault and he deserved what he got.

Blaming the fans is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Like it's THEIR fault Roman was lame and saying "Suffering Succotash". Like the fucking fans demanded they ruin this big cool badass Samoan by turning him Super Cena and shoving him down peoples throats. Like the audience ASKED for that to happen.

·
Registered
740 Posts
He didn’t like that the toxic fans ruined his match without even giving it a chance .

He felt under appreciated and thus blamed Vince for it so he threw the belt at him completely refusing to take any blame for the fans being toxic
Oh yea it failed because of "toxic fans". You sure you're not working for the WWE? Always blaming their suckage on others.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is absolutely totally not true. They were booing Roman, justifiably, long long LONG before he had ever made it to the main event. They booed Roman for good reasons, and WWE just kept their head down, said fuck you fans, and booked a lame boring 80's Roman vs the Titan story. It was fucking boring, Roman was lame and ruined, and it was VERY much Vinces fault and he deserved what he got.

Blaming the fans is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Like it's THEIR fault Roman was lame and saying "Suffering Succotash". Like the fucking fans demanded they ruin this big cool badass Samoan by turning him Super Cena and shoving him down peoples throats. Like the audience ASKED for that to happen.
Sorry but what “good reasons “? People here were bitching all the time that wwe don’t build new stars and needs young talent on top, wwe gave them a young talent who looked great and was good enough In ring and the fans then shited on him because he “didn’t deserve it”. So people who did deserve it were not good becuase they were too old and young talent mike Roman didn’t deserve it becuase he wasn’t in the main event for years.

And we are talking here about the same fans who had no problems with Goldberg winning the title twice as neither of his matches at mania received that much backlash as did Romans .

Serously was Goldberg better champ or contender than Roman ? Did he “deserve” to win the title twice and be at a top spot at mania ? Was his feuds and buildups to mania so much better than Roman ? Becuase by fan reaction they sure as hell were .

We had a lot worse buildups and a lot worse champions and matches than Lesnar vs Roman yet none of them received anywhere as bad backlash as Romans was.

Really- is Drew that much better champion than Roman was? Or Braun Strowman current reign that is so bland and forgettable that I almost forget about this title run?

Wwe did what fans asked for years and that was to build a top star that is not booked as a geek and that is booked stronger than the old times while having believable look to be able to beat those big guys. And fans shitted on him and that’s not because he sucks but because he was liked by Vince and so he was perceived as a guy who is pushed over “more deserving “ Indy stars like nakamura or Seth Rollins .

·
Illegitimate child of Robert 'Glorious' Roode
895 Posts
He didn’t like that the toxic fans ruined his match without even giving it a chance .

He felt under appreciated and thus blamed Vince for it so he threw the belt at him completely refusing to take any blame for the fans being toxic
replies like yours and they say Kayfabe is dead :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I don't think it was a work because that footage never actually aired on RAW. It was never even mentioned on the TV Show.

From what I remember reading, Roman was supposed to go over for ages but Lesnar winning was a last minute change of plans. Obviously Roman losing after all that build up would make him look like shit so they decided to have him look so strong in defeat by having him kick out of 5 F5S. (It might have been 6 I can't remember) The fans hated it, Roman looked bad and Brock look bad. It was just bad business all around. No wonder Lesnar was pissed. Really it should have been Strowman in that spot ahead of Roman.

·
Banned
5,081 Posts
I don't think it was a work because that footage never actually aired on RAW. It was never even mentioned on the TV Show.

From what I remember reading, Roman was supposed to go over for ages but Lesnar winning was a last minute change of plans. Obviously Roman losing after all that build up would make him look like shit so they decided to have him look so strong in defeat by having him kick out of 5 F5S. (It might have been 6 I can't remember) The fans hated it, Roman looked bad and Brock look bad. It was just bad business all around. No wonder Lesnar was pissed. Really it should have been Strowman in that spot ahead of Roman.
This is part of what fans resented. Brock suddenly started beating everyone in 1 F5. It couldn't be more clear what their plans were.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I think it was real.

Vince tried to save face by telling people it’s a work after the fact.

Vince’s pride was on the line with Roman and he failed for a second time.

This was not a work IMO.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It was part of an angle they were doing trying to get sympathy for Roman (again)
They were painting Brock as a spoiled diva who thought he was too important and too good for WWE and they were presenting Roman as a "man of the people" and "locker room leader" who was going to beat Brock, defend wrestling and be a fighting champion.
It didn't work unsurprisingly.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
video was released almost a year later so I dont know what would be the point of making that a work. maybe it was real because Lesnar doesnt like being shit on by the crowd. we have seen that at WM20. if it was real Im glad he did it. Im glad somebody gets to do that to Vince.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I hate this. It's not the fans fault if you tell a story terribly. If you weren't doing a terrible job, they genuinely would not boo you. Provably.

This is like blaming the fans for not like the Star Wars prequels. Like, no fucking way with that attitude.
The fans will boo anyone who the WWE tries to push sincerely. Occasionally you might be able to find someone they do embrace, like a Daniel Bryan, but even if you pushed him as a top guy, people would find a way to rebel against it. It's largely the WWE's fault for shattering kayfabe and for making themselves the heels, but fans also think they are so smart and do absolutely get in the way.

Those crowds at WrestleMania are the smarkiest of the smarks. They have often made up their mind what their reaction is going to be before anything happens.

Yes, the push of Roman was spotty and pretty terribly executed at the start, and its failure to be salvaged is actually probably what Brock was largely annoyed at. It's not a "WWE are the good guys" point. They've fucked up a lot. But the fans don't make it easy at all.

Jesus, people still thought that was legit, lol. It was a work. Not a chance they would have released the footage if it wasn't.
What is the point of it being a work?

This is part of what fans resented. Brock suddenly started beating everyone in 1 F5. It couldn't be more clear what their plans were.
And that's good, traditional storytelling. In an ideal world, it would have worked. But Vince McMahon has lost that tool.

·
Banned
5,081 Posts
And that's good, traditional storytelling. In an ideal world, it would have worked. But Vince McMahon has lost that tool.
It would have worked... If they hadn't LONG since ruined Roman by that point. You can't raze a guys career with a Super Cena push, and then do basic superhero psychology to a crowd that's really wary of this guy.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
He was pissed off at the reaction. Roman vs Lesnar 1 was decent, but their second match was toxic as hell. It was like Lesnar reliving WM20 again and he just redeemed that match the year before. You think he wanted to hear those boo’s?

Then you had Lesnar give a bloody Reigns 5 F5s just to give him baby face sympathy that backfired. Lesnar isn’t stupid. He’s got a better understanding of what wrestling is than many of us and he is in tune with his character. He knows bullshit when he sees it.

Reactions: The Wood

·
Registered
282 Posts
I completely disagree the fans were determined to ruin this match because supposingly “Roman doesn’t deserve to main event”. It has nothing to do with the storytelling as they were booing everything about Roman before he even had the chance to do anything .

That thug of war segment was obviously done becuase wwe didn’t want fans to boo or overcritizise Roman during segments so they tried to reduce his presence during the buildup but again- they had a shit buildup becuase of the toxic fans being very determined to make this a shit show without ever Giving it a proper chance to develop.

It has nothing to do with Roman doing a bad job it has everything to do with the fans hive mind to ruin this shit so they can prove a point that they are right and “Roman sucks and doesn’t deserve the spot he is in”.

Same fans that cheered when nakamura won the rr even though the guy never cut a good promo on English to save his mind and then tuned out of the his feud as soon as Roman was out of the title picture .

And the same fans who cheered so much for The Fiend to win the title vs Rollins becuase “he deserves it” and then tuned out when he did and stopped caring.

AND the same fans who cheered so hard about Kofi “deserving the wwe title at mania “ only to turn on him and tune out as soon as he won it.

So yea it had little to do with Roman there and all to do with the toxic fans being determined to ruin the main event , I remember people on here saying that they will only tune in and watch that Mania just so see how the fans will shit on the event.
I agreed. Toxic fans are the loudest even though they represent a small portion of the base. They are also the catalyst to casual fans being tuned out from wrestling. If you satisfy the few, the loud, and entitled fans, you’ll end up to the point WWE is traveling. The road less traveled.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,548 Posts
To answer OP, I posted this the day after WM which I stand by
Can't say I didn't see it coming. I'd be pissed if I was Brock. He went on a decade-plus journey to overwrite the Goldberg debacle at WM20 with WM33 only for then to have the exact same thing happen just 1 year later.

Brock is too good for this company. You'll miss him when he's gone...
The work/shoot issue isn't really adding much to the debate imo, but for what it's worth I believe the reaction and take it as legitimate.

Jesus, people still thought that was legit, lol. It was a work. Not a chance they would have released the footage if it wasn't.
How are you so sure? Why not release the footage and make something of it. It wasn't like the released this the next day on WWE.com, IIRC this came out months and months later. It's not like WWE have not used real footage before. I can't think of a single "work" reason to do it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts