Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
The Angle Slammer
2,172 Posts
Fuck this bullshit mentality that everything and their fucking mother has to happen at Wrestlemania or Summerslam. People like you reinforce this mentality with WWE. Watch WWE in 2000 - shit happened all the time outside Wrestlemania and Summerslam.
Amen bro. Rick won at Backlash 2000 lost to HHH at Judgement day won it back at Fully Loaded and lost it to Angle at No Mercy. Not a single title change happened at one omg the big 4 in 2000

Angle was a heel. Eddie's victory lead to celebrating with Benoit at WM20.
True on angle being heel. But Eddie could have won at mania and still had the celebration with Benoit.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
I think it's cool when moments like that happen at PPVs other than the big 4. It gives them an unpredictable feeling, like anything can actually happen tbh :shrug

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Because HHH didn't want to give up his position for Jeff.

That title win at Armageddon almost felt like a pity reign for Jeff Hardy because he was the hot merch seller, and by far the most over wrestler there was at the time. But in wwe this shit doesn't mean a damn thing for some reason at that particular time. At least not enough for Jeff to have a more meaningful win.

HHH drops it to Edge in an absolute classic cluster fuckery just so he can drop it to Jeff a month later. They took that title off Jeff almost as quickly as he won it a month later so then it can go right back to HHH so he can bury Orton some more at WM25.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Exactly! John Cena vs Jeff Hardy at WM25 would have been epic. Imagine the crowd.
I actually would've preferred this over Matt turning on Jeff and the awkward Edge/Vickie/Big Show love triangle.

Plus it was weird to have RAW hold both World Titles after WM 25, would've been a nice little nod to the brand extension to have a Smackdown guy getting the opportunity to challenge RAW's World Heavyweight Champion at that WM to balance things out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

That title win at Armageddon almost felt like a pity reign for Jeff Hardy because he was the hot merch seller, and by far the most over wrestler there was at the time. But in wwe this shit doesn't mean a damn thing for some reason at that particular time. At least not enough for Jeff to have a more meaningful win.

HHH drops it to Edge in an absolute classic cluster fuckery just so he can drop it to Jeff a month later. They took that title off Jeff almost as quickly as he won it a month later so then it can go right back to HHH so he can bury Orton some more at WM25.
I laugh when people say that Triple H put over Jeff Hardy during their SmackDown feud. Edge basically did all the work. If he wasn't going to drop the title to Jeff, he could've ATLEAST let Jeff pin him to win the title.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,433 Posts
Everything doesn't have to happen at the big PPV's. Its a big issue in WWE thesedays, they save all the big moments for Summerslam, Rumble and WM. For the rest of the year nothing of note happens.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Unpredictability. If every non-transitional champion was crowned at one of the BIG 4 then what's the point?
This and you should save title wins at big PPV's for guys that you know are seen as champions. Jeff was and is over but I am sure there was some question if he would be excepted as the top man. You give any guy his first title at a smaller PPV or on TV and if his run is good than a future one can come on the big stage.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
John Cena won his at Judgment Day. Reigns won his on Raw. I don't think it's really that important to be honest. There are quite a few huge title wins that could be made bigger by putting them on a Mania, but I don't think it's something that really needs to be pondered about. Just my opinion.
True on angle being heel. But Eddie could have won at mania and still had the celebration with Benoit.
Brock was going to work Mania with Goldberg so he had to drop the title a month before.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Because they probably didn't trust him to Main Event Mania given that he failed his 2nd drug test going into the previous Mania where he was supposed to win MITB.

On a purely money perspective, of course at that moment Hardy was capable of main eventing Mania, he was the hottest thing in the company. Jeff v Cena in a perfect world is what should have happened.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seth Rollins has his moment at Wrestlemania thats the only one that comes to mind now...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
HHH won his first title on Raw!!!
I've heard he was supposed to win the title at SummerSlam 99, but Austin for some reason didn't want him to put him over. That's why it turned out to a triple threat with Mankind winning the title and then losing to HHH at RAW.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
In my opinion, where a guy wins it first comes secondary to the timing and story. Roman Reigns is a prime example of this. While they eventually got cold feet, they initially wanted to put it on him over at 2015's Wrestlemania despite him not having the necessary momentum and little to no story outside of his Samoan heritage. They got it right when he won on RAW with the same fans who destroyed him earlier in the year celebraring his victory, only to promptly blow it all by killing the flow of the arc because he had to have a coronation at Wrestlemania 90 days later. It was disjointed and convulted.

The location isn't nearly as important as striking at the right time. If that time is at Summerslam, Wrestlemania, Battleground or Smackdown, then so be it. It works out at times and certainly makes it seem "big" looking back on it if it happens at a big 4, but there's a level of booking that goes into these moments truly hitting the mark. A mark that this company has proven over the last few years that they often struggle to hit. Just strike when the iron is hot. The iron was hot in the case of Jeff. Striking at the right time makes all the difference in the world. Much more than the venue.

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
Because at the time there wasn't an obsession with having every guy have a WM/SS moment. Plus, it was a huge shocker at the time, and it was TONS of fun and a great surprise. No one expected Edge to drop his belt just 1 month later.

I wouldn't say a pity reign, I think WWE just didn't want to risk him getting suspended again before WM like he did before WM24 when he was suposed to win the MITB, but yeah, I agree about the HHH part, it was so obvious, that overrated fucktard couldn't have his ego job to Jeff again since he already let Jeff win a year earlier in a fluke roll-up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Does it really matter where the wrestler wins his first WWE title?

Bret Hart = House Show 1992
Andre The Giant = The Main Event I 1988
The Undertaker = Survivor Series 1991
Diesel = House Show 1994
Kane = King Of The Ring 1998
Mankind = Raw Is War 1998
Triple H = Raw Is War 1999
Kurt Angle = No Mercy 2000
Chris Jericho = Vengeance 2001
Eddie Guerrero = No Way Out 2004
Edge = New Year's Revolution 2006
Randy Orton = No Mercy 2007

And yes I know that Randy won his first world title (WHC) in 2004 at Summerslam, but won his first WWE title in 2007. I'm also not sure if Survivor Series is a B-PPV or not, but it sure isn't on the same level with Royal Rumble, Summerslam and Wrestlemania.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts