Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWE recognises AEW's existence, but has mostly ignored TNA's for nearly 20 years. Which seems a bit odd considering TNA has never even come close to being competition for WWE, so you'd think they'd not be afraid to publicly acknowledge its existence, unlike AEW which has a lot more money. Really strange.

First instance where I recall TNA being mentioned on a WWE show is from... 2017? Kurt Angle was the Raw GM and said "I heard TNA is hiring". Perhaps they've mentioned it before, but that's the very first time I remember the company being mentioned on TV by WWE.

Not even when Impact began attempting to compete with Raw in 2010 did they acknowledge it. And when Jeff Hardy came back to WWE in 2006 after his first TNA stint, WWE basically acted like he had vanished from the face of Earth for about 3 years lmao.

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
16,750 Posts
Vince would never acknowledge anything that isn't a threat in some regard, TNA was never a remote problem for WWE ever not even when they gained a high rating in January 2010 for the very brief rebirth of the MNW.

·
Hardcore Casual
1,171 Posts
It's a general rule of thumb in marketing that if you're number 1, you don't even acknowledge number 2's existence.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really shows how Vince view AEW lol.
He considers AEW less of
Vince would never acknowledge anything that isn't a threat in some regard, TNA was never a remote problem for WWE ever not even when they gained a high rating in January 2010 for the very brief rebirth of the MNW.
I'm pretty sure WWE acknowledged ROH before TNA lol. And ROH was certainly no threat to WWE.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Vince is not the same man, the nature of WWE is different, the nature of how NBCUniversal views WWE is different and how they make record profits has changed.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
AEW has been a lot more "in your face" than I remember TNA being.

From Jericho doing his podcast and talking about it, and Moxley leaving to join and doing his interview, and even Tony Khan talking about "Wednesday night Wars" and ratings...WWE ignoring it completely would be awkward.

I think TNA mostly stayed in their own zone, and WWE was perfectly content to ignore them.

If it wasn't for all of the podcasts and interviews AEW is doing, WWE would probably ignore them too.
Also - HHH is constantly doing press conference where he's asked about them - and so he responds. It's not like WWE goes out of their way to mention AEW

·
Registered
794 Posts
TNA (even at their 'peak') like AEW are friendly competition at best. They pose zero viable threat to hurting WWE's business.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
He saw TNA as a protest promotion, and he didn't like Jeff Jarrett for the longest time, so it was easier for him to ignore it. HHH on the other hand, feels threatened by AEW and he clearly showed it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
TNA had some decent talent, but always felt substantially bush league by the way they marketed themselves and their presentation. Everything they did came off very B level and never anything close to must see TV. It was also run by Jeff Jarrett, so it was bound for mediocrity.

Vince is approaching 80 and knows that AEW isn't going to be able to compete with the billion dollar deals he's getting from desperate TV execs. They might be a small blip in the way of competition, but they're in no way a major threat. If anything, he's probably a little bored and AEW at least gives him a small thing to focus on periodically

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,633 Posts
TNA wasn’t close, and they probably figure that to mention it would be to put eyeballs on it that just weren’t there? Why give it that attention?

With AEW I would guess they are maybe more insecure given, what, it’s run by a guy from a family of note rather than just some wrestling carnies they can mock, it was gotten off the ground by a bunch of guys they tried and failed to sign, their own ratings were at the time this all began in precipitous downfall, and they started a fight with AEW that they lost within months.

I guess what it comes down to is at the time of TNA the WWE’s big dick energy was enough that they could remain aloof and above it, with AEW that was no longer the case, they stooped to their level and started a fight and got beat, and thus probably have a complex about it. Also, given their TV deals they’re pretty much untouchable and probably don’t give a fuck about anything.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There may not be much of a strategy behind publicly acknowledging it exists. Maybe they just felt, with more social media presence and less casual fans watching, that anybody watching already knows that AEW exists anyway, while it may not have been the case about TNA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts