Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And did it have something to do with SS 2003? The crowd was going nuts for Goldberg - even at the start, they were chanting "Goldberg" when Y2J and HBK were putting on a hell of an exhibition themselves (of course, I could be wrong and it was a canned chant all along). Would it have been better if he'd won it there, instead of at Unforgiven (although I do understand the merits of delaying a title win like that)?

Whatever the case though, I wouldn't have had Goldberg lose it in a triple threat match at Armageddon after only 2 months (the third participant in that match, Kane felt like more of an add-on than anything...) Wouldn't the logical feud-ender have been something like HIAC? Then we could have something like Goldberg being the top dog, everyone trying to bring him down. If WWE wanted to, they still could've played that Lesnar-Goldberg card (and have Lesnar the only guy who can kayfabe legitimately challenge him), OR gone in a completely different direction with Goldberg as a dominant champion (although admittedly, booking a feud after HHH-Goldberg would've been difficult because you had to keep giving the fans what they wanted, i.e., Spears, Military Press Slams and Jackhammers galore, but without making Goldberg stale).

So anyway, your thoughts?

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Goldbergs push failed? Not sure what you was watching. The guy came in and buried half the roster, including Rock for a start, and you could argue that kayfabe he ended Rock's career.
He went over near-enough everyone, it was only when fans realised Goldberg was basically selling out (not sure if that's maybe a too strong term) that they started to boo him.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
It failed because his heart wasn't in the product, WWE noticed this, and decided not to invest what WCW put into him. That, and WWE wasn't going to let him go on a ridiculous undefeated streak, and without that, there was really no way to make Goldberg what he used to be in WCW anyways.

·
Banned
3 Posts
His push didnt fail, he just had a quick cup of coffe in wwe and left to do "bigger things" for example to star in such classic movies as Santa's Slay

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Well, firstly he loved the business so much he sat on his ass for a year to wait out his old TNT contract. Fine, he was entitled to do so, but having him in the invasion angle would have added so much credibility it was unreal. In the end he could have made so much more money out of joining in.

Secondly he wrecked Bret Hart's career with a botch. So we have someone that couldnt work and didnt give a crap about the business. and you wonder why he didnt work out so well?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I remember he and Brock both got booed out of the building during their WM match.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
It didn't really fail. He got there when he was old, had a short stint and then got out of the wrestling business.

Ended the careers of The Rock and Brock Lesnar. :p

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Well, firstly he loved the business so much he sat on his ass for a year to wait out his old TNT contract. Fine, he was entitled to do so, but having him in the invasion angle would have added so much credibility it was unreal. In the end he could have made so much more money out of joining in.

Secondly he wrecked Bret Hart's career with a botch. So we have someone that couldnt work and didnt give a crap about the business. and you wonder why he didnt work out so well?
Haha.Very true.

You can also add the legitimate beef with Triple H and Chris Jericho.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
When Goldberg came into the WWE, they made the mistake of trying to show him off right away, forced him to try to cut promos, and then had him feud with popular wrestlers like The Rock and Chris Jericho. Unfortunately, Bill was another victim of politics. Vince and HHH did not want him to continue being successful. Had Goldberg improved his wrestling style, been nicer to co-workers backstage, and his character been left as is (I don't blame him for one bit for being protective of his image), I think he'd still be around wrestling and probably still main eventing or at least being in high profile matches. WWE could've made a lot of money with him as a top guy, but Vince wanted to prove WWE > WCW so Goldberg's character was humilated and tarnished. It should've been about business and not personal feelings.

- Vic

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'd also like to add that by the time Goldberg came to the WWE he was nothing more then "damaged goods" at best thanks in part to a group of some of the biggest manipulators and con-men (Bischoff, Hogan, Hall and Nash) that the wrestling industry has ever had.

All those individuals ever did in WCW was fuck with his head and make him super paranoid as a result. They did it so much that by the time Goldberg came to the WWE he was nothing more then an unmanageable douche bag thanks to those assholes.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
When Goldberg came into the WWE, they made the mistake of trying to show him off right away, forced him to try to cut promos, and then had him feud with popular wrestlers like The Rock and Chris Jericho. Unfortunately, Bill was another victim of politics. Vince and HHH did not want him to continue being successful. Had Goldberg improved his wrestling style, been nicer to co-workers backstage, and his character been left as is (I don't blame him for one bit for being protective of his image), I think he'd still be around wrestling and probably still main eventing or at least being in high profile matches. WWE could've made a lot of money with him as a top guy, but Vince wanted to prove WWE > WCW so Goldberg's character was humilated and tarnished. It should've been about business and not personal feelings.

- Vic
What a load of bullshit. He never lost an one on one match in his WWE career. He only lost the Elimination Chamber and the Triple Threat match at Armageddon.

Oh, and WWE>WCW.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Because Goldberg sucks. That's why.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
He was lucky he got a few wins over triple h during his reign of terror , was never a big goldberg fan but was actually glad when he came someone who was actually to a threat to triple h because quite frankly 2002-2005 raw main event scene was stale as fuck a triple h over kill. In the end goldberg didn't last long triple h saw him off and continued to dominate.zzzz

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
He certainly wasn't booked very well in the WWE, I think that's the main reason.

I honestly beleive if WWE gave him the same sort of booking as WCW and made him a dominant champ he could've been a massive success all over again.

I just couldn't beleive my eyes when HHH squashed him at in the chamber at SSlam 03. Worst booking decision in history.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
He certainly wasn't booked very well in the WWE, I think that's the main reason.

I honestly beleive if WWE gave him the same sort of booking as WCW and made him a dominant champ he could've been a massive success all over again.

I just couldn't beleive my eyes when HHH squashed him at in the chamber at SSlam 03. Worst booking decision in history.
If I'm Vince, I'm not going to bring in a guy with limited wrestling ability and have him run rampant over the guys that I spent years getting over and establishing. Now that's not to say that he couldn't have been used better. But to have him come in and completely obliterate the roster would have benefitted nobody but Goldberg.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts