Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now before I get bashed I want to clear something up. I never saw much of Owen Hart. I truly started watching right after he died. I'm not saying that I disliked him nor am I a mark of him. But I hear that almost everyone in the IWC loved him. Why? I genuinely want to know. Because someone must be pretty great to be loved by the entire IWC.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
He was every bit as accomplished as Bret in terms of technical wrestling. He was also a very good high-flyer for the time period and a better talker as well. As a heel he could really make you hate him, so much so that I suspect he could draw major heat from todays smarks in spite of the knowledge that he was one of the nicest and funniest people in pro-wrestling.

·
Registered
559 Posts
in many ways he was actually better then bret, and bret will be the first to say so( according to his book) owen was a kind family man, who was incredible at what he did. the day he died will always be remembered as a terrible day for me

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
I always preferred Owen to Bret (actually dare I say it, never liked Bret Hart much anyway). As stated before he could play both heel and face brilliantly, looking back now I didn't appreciate Owen enough, the guy was a fantastic high flyer just as he was one of the best technical wrestlers of all time. Apparently he was loved backstage too. Gotta admit I kinda didn't look upon him with the same amount of fondness after the Steve Austin: Stone Cold Truth dvd though.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
He was every bit as accomplished as Bret in terms of technical wrestling. He was also a very good high-flyer for the time period and a better talker as well. As a heel he could really make you hate him, so much so that I suspect he could draw major heat from todays smarks in spite of the knowledge that he was one of the nicest and funniest people in pro-wrestling.
Well, this. Nothing to add here.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I ever understand these threads. Why don't you go watch some of his matches/promos and form your own opinion. It's called youtube bro.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I ever understand these threads. Why don't you go watch some of his matches/promos and form your own opinion. It's called youtube bro.
Well to be fair, youtube isn't the best way to really get into a wrestler you're unfamiliar with. Context is important and it's unlikely that someone would be able to get a real sense of how good Owen was without living throuh his run.

It is a good way to become more familiar with a wrestler you're already watching but, as the OP stated, he only got into wrestling around the time of Owen's death so that's not the situation he's in.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Personally I think he was a great wrestler and a better talker than Bret. According to everyone he was the nicest guy they ever met. I still think he's a bit overrated because of his tragic death including rumors that Owen was scheduled to become "The Game" and the world champ. I think that's pretty BS considering the way WWE has used him since Bret went to WCW.

Still tho, I'd just go watch these two matches. It should give you some idea of Owen's greatness.

shouldn't be too hard to find the other parts.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Owen was one of the best wrestlers ever, he had great psycology and everything. Most people said enuff about him anyway, but I also feel that he was highly underrated. He was a great technical wrestler like Bret, but a far better aerial wrestler than Bret. During the 'New Generation' Era, any match involving Bret/HBK/Owen was sure to be a great match. They were the best wrestlers of that era IMO.

I always wished they would've stuck with his Badass 'Black Hart' gimmick with the beard, but they de-pushed him I believe in favor of Austin because they were similar and they were going with Austin vs. HBK. I always thought it may have been an inside joke that he was the 'Black Hart' and he was with The Nation, and it's funnier because they never referred to him as The 'Black Hart' while he was with The Nation, it's like it's an inside joke.

Anyways R.I.P. Owen, we miss you!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I always admired Owen in the Ring, but I never knew how good he was a talker until he did commentry at king of the Ring ( the yr Austin won)

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
In my opinion, he was miles better than Bret. He was miles better than Bret on the mic and his wrestling skill was just as good, if not better than Bret's. As some have already said, he could actually get you to hate him he was that good.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Everyone loves him cos hes dead. Sad but true. Its the same reason Guerrero and Pillman are so highly thought of, because people choose to remember their good qualities rather than their bad ones because nobody wants to be that dickhead who speaks badly of the dead. If Owen was still alive, he would probably have a decent fanbase but no doubt he would be all over twitter pissing off Miz fans or something.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts