Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i mean being the 1st MITB winner and cashing in on John Cena in 2006 was a pretty big deal. But was there something i missed that lead him to lose the belt to Cena only 3 weeks later?:confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think they were testing the waters with him as a main eventer, but were not yet confident with him headlining WrestleMania which was just around the corner.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
He had a somewhat lengthy one, the one he lost at Mania 24, in the midst of where titles change all the time from 2007-now, he got pasted 100 days which is quite rare these days. (In 03-06 they didn't change hands a stupid amount of times, like what 1998-2000 was like).
And I don't think they saw him as a big money maker at the time, if they gave him the belt around Summerslam 05, could he off been in the main event at Mania 22, perhaps.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
"testing the waters"

you do realize hes a 9 time world champion and has one of the best careers in history?
He means at the time.

At that point, in early 2006, Edge had not fully broken into the main event. He had the odd title shot here and there but he was not established.

He'd had a good build up feud with HBK as a bitter and psychotic heel, then he had feuds with Kane and Matt Hardy as his personal life sidetracked him from hitting the main event in 2005 but if anything, that was a blessing in disguise as it established him as a star more, put him with Lita on screen and made his cash in seem so much better because he held it for months.

He then held the belt for three weeks, Triple H (whose heel character had played out by that point much like Edge's has now), thought he could get Cena back over by jobbing to him at Mania. Edge was shunted into a feud with Foley and decided to steal the show to prove Vince wrong about giving him a short reign and hasn't looked back since.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
People were getting tired of Cena's long Title reign and began turning on him during his feud with Kurt Angle so the Creative Team thought he could get cheered again if he loss the Title to one of the most hated Heels at the time, Edge.

Why did his reign only last 3 weeks? Triple H thought Edge wasn't Main Event material yet and wanted to headline WrestleMania again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
It was because WWE totally used Cena wrong that period, mainly in 2005-2006. He was TO overpushed back then. Edge was a great Heel Champ, and should've kept a lenghty reign. It would've been better if Cena has chased Edge as challenger and thus setting up Edge vs. Cena at Mania would then be a option.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
It was to build Edge's slow push to the main event and get more people to cheer Cena. The timing was also against Edge. Cena/HHH was in the bag for WM 22 and Edge still hadn't cashed in the MITB. They also wanted to save the Cena/Edge feud for after Mania. HHH was turning face after WM so they needed to keep Edge strong in the mean time. Having the MITB, the short title run and destroying Mick Foley legitimized Edge.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,037 Posts
There are different theories you could make to why Edge had a 3 week title reign. These are the theories I thought up

Theory 1: WWE wanted a shockfactor moment, and having Edge cash in the MITB was the perfect set up. It also allowed for Edge to unveil his other gimmick as the Ultimate Opportunist

Theory 2: WWE were testing the waters, to see how Edge would do in the mainevent. But since Edge was not a true Main Eventer, they thought it was risky keeping the title on him, plus I don't think they were sure if they wanted Edge in the Main Event at Mania, so they opted with Triple H instead

Theory 3: WWE wanted to use up the MITB win, because Edge was running out of time to use it since he won MITB at Wrestlamania previously, and since it was coming up to Royal Rumble, the road to wrestlamania. They just couldn't keep the belt on him going in, which also goes back to my other theory that WWE weren't comfortable having Edge headline Wresltmania

Theory 4: Triple H felt threatened by Edge's sudden push, that he convinced Vince to take the belt off him so that HHH could have yet another year to keep his position secure and not have anyone steal it from him.(I'm only joking about this one:D)

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
It was SuperCena time.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Because of Wrestlemania.

They were testing the waters with Edge essentially. And Cena was in the midst of his super-push. Now I'm not saying that means it's obvious that Edge/Cena wasn't going to happen for Wrestlemania 22. But if you take into account the fact that Batista, their other big star at the time, had come down with an injury which threw out one of their big main events for Wrestlemania, and also the fact that Cena was yet to really defeat someone on the grand stage who was really big, you can kind of see why WWE went for Triple H/Cena. You can then also add into account that they lost a big star in Eddie a few months prior too.

They basically gave Edge the title, brought him to the forefront and put the spotlight on him. After his quick reign, they put him into another focused feud with Mick Foley in order to establish him more as a threat. It was all to build his credibility.

At the same time, they ran with their big feud of Triple H/Cena at Wrestlemania 22.

It was about business. And Edge/Cena for Wrestlemania 22 wouldn't have been as big of a draw, or anywhere near, Triple H/Cena.

Cena going over Triple H at Wrestlemania 22 basically legitimised John Cena and let the fans know that he was there to stay.

Plus, let's say you don't do Triple H/Cena and go for Edge/Cena.

What are you going to do with Triple H? One of your biggest stars? You also have to deal with the glaring absence of Batista, your other star with a lot of hype surrounding him, and the loss of another major star in Eddie.

They went for their biggest possible match-ups. And Triple H/Cena, at the time, was the big money match.

·
Trump and Macron will Rule the World
3,313 Posts
i mean being the 1st MITB winner and cashing in on John Cena in 2006 was a pretty big deal. But was there something i missed that lead him to lose the belt to Cena only 3 weeks later?:confused:
Because he had the Money in the Bank briefcase and they were running out of time for him to cash in so they decided to go with it at New Years' Revolution. He should of carried it into Mania and ultimately drop it to Cena but WWE seemed hell bent on giving us HHH/Cena (Which I'm not complaining about at all).

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
They had to use his MITB, but he wasn't ready to be champion yet. It's that simple.

And can we please stop acting like Triple H had something to do with it? Everyone knows that's complete bullshit.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
Why did Edge's 1st WWE tite reign only last 3 weeks?
They wanted to get his title win out of the way since Cena / Helmsley was the money match.

And can we please stop acting like Triple H had something to do with it? Everyone knows that's complete bullshit.
The haters will argue that Cena / Edge would've been a good Wrestlemania main event.

- Vic

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I know it's now foolish to argue that the main event should have been different since Mania drew extremely well that year but Edge/Cena should have main evented. That feud was really hot with the fans.

Yeah it was all done because they felt he would not draw at that stage of his career in a Mania main event. Perhaps they were right but I would have loved to seen it.

·
Ho!
17,497 Posts
Whether or not it was Triple H's fault is irrelevant, the feud was hot and definitely could have gone to main event wrestlemania, and at the time should have, but looking back it was better it didn't go down like that. While Cena/Triple H wasn't anything special to me, Edge and Cena in a straight one on one match have never had anything exceptional, so their match probably wouldn't have been better than Cena/Triple H unless it was a gimmick match. Also this allowed Edge to feud with Foley to further himself and have the best match on the card and get himself over more, and Cena/HHH was a great draw so all in all they went with the right decision.

Granted I think they could have at the very least let Edge retain at the Rumble and keep the title till the Raw where Foley was the ref, and have Edge lose the title like that, and then after Mania he would have his rematch clause to use for Backlash along with the momentum from beating Foley, though I guess at the end of the day it wasn't needed.

Edge had an awesome reign throughout the summer, and leading into Wrestlemania 24 he had a lengthy 3 and a half month long run, feuding with Mysterio and Taker and then having at an excellent main event with Taker, but aside from those two reigns Edge hasn't had any noteworthy reigns, and that is where the problem lies, especially when they are having Edge claim he's a 9 time champion when arguably 7 of those title reigns meant little to nothing aside from to maybe transition from Triple H to Jeff, or to start the build up between Matt and Jeff, or whatever. Edge plays the perfect ultimate opportunist and cowardly heel but at the end of the day I think it's hurt the title credibility more than help him (Edge).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts