Wrestling Forum banner

Why did Curt Hennig Wrestle for WCW but not WWF

7548 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  11Shareef
When Curt Hennig debuted in WCW in 1997, it was as a wrestler. But in his WWF stints from 1994-1996 when he left, he was either an announcer, a referee or a manager. In 1994 he was supposed to wrestle Lex Luger on the WM X Revenge Tour but left the company, in 1995-1996 he was an announcer, then when he was supposed to wrestle HHH on RAW in 1996, he faked an injury and formed an alliance as HHH's new Manager. About 3 weeks later, he left WWE and then showed up in 1997 in WCW.

Was he always capable of wrestling during that time in WWE, or did he do special training to prepare for WCW. Also why did WWE put him in a major angle with HHH and Marc Mero if they didn't have him under contract where WCW could steal him away?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7,857 Posts
Re: Why did Curt Hennig Wrestle for WCW but not WWE

I think it had to do with his Lloyds Of London deal. I don't know if that was over in 1997 when he started working in WCW but when he was in WWF on and off from 1994-1996 it was the reason they didn't allow him to wrestle and its why he did mainly Announcing and Guest Ref spots.

· Premium Member
20,587 Posts

Looked it up and from what I understand:

Hennig took out insurance after his back injury in '91 but returned in late '92. He got hurt again a year later and retired, getting millions a year from his insurance policy. About 3 years after that, he wanted to get back in the business because he was healthy again.

It seems like the reason he never wrestled in WWE again after '93 (and before returning after WCW ended) was due to a contract dispute, which saw him go to WCW in the first place.

I'm assuming the policy ran for 3 years, which ended around the time of him leaving WWE. Not 100% sure, just basing it on what I've come across.

· Registered
1,324 Posts

Looked it up and from what I understand:

Hennig took out insurance after his back injury in '91 but returned in late '92. He got hurt again a year later and retired, getting millions a year from his insurance policy. About 3 years after that, he wanted to get back in the business because he was healthy again.

It seems like the reason he never wrestled in WWE again after '93 (and before returning after WCW ended) was due to a contract dispute, which saw him go to WCW in the first place.
I'm assuming the policy ran for 3 years, which ended around the time of him leaving WWE. Not 100% sure, just basing it on what I've come across.
thanks for looking this up. Good info

· Registered
900 Posts
He did wrestle in the WWF/WWE from 1982-1984 and by the name of Mr. Perfect from 1988–1993 before his injuries came back to stop his time as wrestler, before going to WCW.

· Banned
3,639 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the time table here. Hopefully an elder statesmen can help me out here. Why was he a manager for Flair in '92, but wrestled him on Raw in early '93? Was the original injury before Wrestlemania 8, then he got insured and tried again in early '93, but got reinjured sometime after that and he didn't wrestle again until WCW?

He did wrestle in the WWF/WWE from 1982-1984 and by the name of Mr. Perfect from 1988–1993 before his injuries came back to stop his time as wrestler, before going to WCW.

That's not what he's asking.

· Premium Member
20,587 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the time table here. Hopefully an elder statesmen can help me out here. Why was he a manager for Flair in '92, but wrestled him on Raw in early '93? Was the original injury before Wrestlemania 8, then he got insured and tried again in early '93, but got reinjured sometime after that and he didn't wrestle again until WCW?

If I'm not mistaken, him being a manager was based on the back injury in '91, where he just took time off but also took out an insurance policy.

He got hurt again in '93, which is when he decided to just retire and cash out on the policy. But, I guess he got the itch to return to wrestling again and in something I've just found out, he would have to pay back on the settlement (not sure exact amounts). Well, supposedly Vince had paid the balance, only to see Hennig jump ship when his contract expired.

So, yeah, the original injury was in '91. It or an equally severe injury occurred in '93, which is when he retired and started getting settlements.

Another interesting thing I've found out about Lloyds of London and wrestlers is that, going back to the issue they had with Bret working the match with Vince, it stemmed from Hennig and Road Warrior Animal seemingly milking their injuries, only to return to the ring. And supposedly, Meltzer said back in the day that Rick Rude, prior to his death, was training for a return to the ring, which indicates he probably went back or was in the process of going back against his policy.

Now, I remember part of Animal's deal was that he could only work tag matches and I'm not sure how that turned out but I've been lead to believe that the fuckery behind he and Hennig's settlements drastically changed what the plans were for Bret vs. Vince a few years back.

· Banned
3,639 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, him being a manager was based on the back injury in '91, where he just took time off but also took out an insurance policy.

He got hurt again in '93, which is when he decided to just retire and cash out on the policy. But, I guess he got the itch to return to wrestling again and in something I've just found out, he would have to pay back on the settlement (not sure exact amounts). Well, supposedly Vince had paid the balance, only to see Hennig jump ship when his contract expired.

So, yeah, the original injury was in '91. It or an equally severe injury occurred in '93, which is when he retired and started getting settlements.

Another interesting thing I've found out about Lloyds of London and wrestlers is that, going back to the issue they had with Bret working the match with Vince, it stemmed from Hennig and Road Warrior Animal seemingly milking their injuries, only to return to the ring. And supposedly, Meltzer said back in the day that Rick Rude, prior to his death, was training for a return to the ring, which indicates he probably went back or was in the process of going back against his policy.

Now, I remember part of Animal's deal was that he could only work tag matches and I'm not sure how that turned out but I've been lead to believe that the fuckery behind he and Hennig's settlements drastically changed what the plans were for Bret vs. Vince a few years back.
If you find out more let me know how the Bret vs McMahon match was changed. I'm following you, but I'm still a little cloudy on specifics. Thanks for answering my original question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.