Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Middle Rope
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is pretty simple. They can draw quite big crowds for house shows. They have a roster with as much star power as the WWE without a shadow of a doubt. Yet they couldn't even sell out lockdown. Which will probably end up being the 2nd biggest event of the year for them.

It wouldn't suprise me if they only managed 3000ish for bound for glory.

With the likes of Angle, Hogan, Foley,Jeff Hardy, RVD, Anderson, Nash, Flair & Jarrett it should be childs play for TNA. What are they doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
they are giving away PPV quality matches for free on IMPACT.. thats why people don't give a crap about the PPV.

Jeff Hardy vs Samoa Joe and RVD vs Samoa Joe are PPV quality matches but on impact they were shit

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well, first of all, if I remember correctly, they had to paper the venue big time for last years Bound For Glory and actually sold less than 1,000 tickets.

Now, that aside, what they're doing wrong is the television product is horrible, and so the stigma of TNA makes the people that watch or follow it even slightly not want to invest in the product. The free TV viewers don't care enough to buy the show, their buyrate percentage is horrible on a viewer/buyer scale.

TNA's booking is such that it is absolutely impossible to care about anything. Take Jay Lethal. After a hell of a month, with Ric Flair doing the best promos of the year in TNA to build up with match, Lethal beats him on Pay-Per-View, clean. A 16 World Champion with a ton of credibility. It should have been a star making win. Instead, he gets beaten clean in his next televised appearance, and wasn't even on the show last week. They have no fucking clue how to make a star.

What it comes down to, honestly, is that what are you buying a ticket for? They don't treat anybody on the show like a star, it's not a cutting edge, cool thing by any means, the star power only means so much because they don't feel like true stars in the TNA atmosphere, which is why, historically, the high point for all the name guys is when they first join, because after that TNA kills the star power.

So all you have as incentive is good wrestling, but lets be honest, the audience that pays money for a certain type of wrestling is so small, and a lot of those fans will be turned off by the product as well.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Honestly, a lot of it is because Russo's philosophy is that everything revolves around ratings, so he's mindlessly hotshots matches and angles with no rhyme, reason or basis whatsoever.

·
Registered
253 Posts
TNA may have the roster. but not the WWE brand name. WWE sells because.. well its WWE. plain and simple. TNA can have all the stars it likes, it wont sell as well or near the WWE due to TNA not being as well known.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the main reason is that you dont get any more bang for your buck.
What really is the difference in quality from impact to PPV?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think the big thing is at house shows TNA dont need Russo thye just book the matches, let the boys wrestle and gert over, with TV & PPV TNA lets themselves get worked up into the Russo bullshit of we need something new every 90 seconds or fans will tune out, so even on PPV you get stupid bullshit, constant hype about the same meaningless drivel, the matches whilst good are secondary to how Russo wants shit to go, so instead of the guys doing what they want or calling it on the fly they have to work around russo's "creative" direction, which is so counter productive that it fucks with the matches, on hoiuse show the fans know they are getting quality entertainment, on PPV & TV they know their getting RUSSO entertainment which is either and oxymoron or a paradox whatever, either way I just wish a pair of dogs would kill that fucking moron, that way TNA could hire a BOOKER because it seems the booking draws more than the fucking WRITING go figure wrestling 101 got it right where Russo 96 got it wrong, who'd of thought the gameplan used since the turn of the last centuary would have worked out better than some dipshit idea from a prick who never even understood wrestling.

Ok I admit I went off a bit lol, been watching way to much Jim Cornette shoots lol, but still the proof is there, TNA has the talent to make themselves a big time player, they just have this albartrose*sp?* around their neck called Vince Russo, and to me I find it funny when ppl knock Russo the excuse is well his ideas havew to be approved or disapproved so it's not his fault, but if the prick cant take the blame why should he take the credit, his entire employment over the ladt 10 years *of failure mind you* has been based around the credit he took for making the WWE No.1 again, truth be told WWE could have stayed as they were in 96 and would have been no.1 again by 2000 because of how WCW fucked themselves up anyway.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Its because their house shows lack the goofy entertainment crap and are usually booked as a straight up wrestling show. The house shows are actually better than the PPVs.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Because whether people want to admit it or not it's because TNA is a niche product just like the original ECW was but unlike the original ECW I seriously doubt that TNA is going to leave the same mark on the wrestling business like ECW did in the late 90's.

Bottom line is niche products never draw a large audience.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Because whether people want to admit it or not it's because TNA is a niche product just like the original ECW was but unlike the original ECW I seriously doubt that TNA is going to leave the same mark on the wrestling business like ECW did in the late 90's.
Botchmania definitely. Maybe Wrestlecrap.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think he means that TNA will leave it's mark on Botchamania and maybe WrestleCrap

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the main difference between TNA and WWE is one is pg and the other is 16 or whatever i dunno what the view age is meant to be for tna lol. so im guessing that could be why ?

maybe people are interested more in pg style than what people here actually think.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The question is pretty simple. They can draw quite big crowds for house shows. They have a roster with as much star power as the WWE without a shadow of a doubt. Yet they couldn't even sell out lockdown. Which will probably end up being the 2nd biggest event of the year for them.

It wouldn't suprise me if they only managed 3000ish for bound for glory.

With the likes of Angle, Hogan, Foley,Jeff Hardy, RVD, Anderson, Nash, Flair & Jarrett it should be childs play for TNA. What are they doing wrong?
what's really interesting is that without most of these guys you listed, the drew 6000 fans at lockdown at the family arena in 2007. this year, with all those names, thy drew half that crowd at the same arena.
i just think they're wasting too much money on their roster (again, most of the guys you listed imo) and too little on actually marketing their product.
it seems like they expect every wrestling fan to be aware of tna just because they're wrestling fans and that the names will do the drawing. but even after years of that concept failing they don't get it.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
They have a roster with as much star power as the WWE without a shadow of a doubt.
They have a damn good roster, but it simply doesn't rival WWE's star power at all. The only names in TNA who could truly compete with the WWE for recognition and popularity are Angle, Hardy, Flair, Sting, Hogan and possibly Rob Van Dam.

The only way in which TNA will start frequently selling out or packing arenas is by getting themselves known to people outside of the IWC. That's their biggest problem. Most casual wrestling fans have most probably never even heard of them.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
TNA can't sell out arenas for a ton of reasons:

1. The product

2. high ticket prices

3. TNA gives away so much on free TV, why SHOULD someone pay to watch TNA?

Those are the main reasons. Which is why everyone supporting TNA giving away everything on TV in order to pop a .2 rating are completely stupid. TNA will never grow when the over one million people who watch their show no that there is no reason to go to a TNA live event considering how all the good and important stuff happens on Impact.

Another thing to factor into why TNA doesn't sell out areans, is TNA' presence. TNA likes to present themselves as a low budget studio wrestling show. Look at the Impact opening video package (when shown) and even the PPV hype videos and house show hype videos. The majority of that footage is Impact Zone footage. Now to people like me that doesn't matter but to the casual fan they are seeing small production which means the PPV, house show, etc will be small time and not worth going. TNA should ONLY use footage from outside The Impact Zone in their hype videos. TNA needs to also take advantage when they are in an arena for a day. Instead of wasting time at catering and bullshitting they should be getting footage of SSS and UX in an empty arena instead of doing the same UX and LD spots in an empty Impact Zone.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
They have a damn good roster, but it simply doesn't rival WWE's star power at all. The only names in TNA who could truly compete with the WWE for recognition and popularity are Angle, Hardy, Flair, Sting, Hogan and possibly Rob Van Dam.

The only way in which TNA will start frequently selling out or packing arenas is by getting themselves known to people outside of the IWC. That's their biggest problem. Most casual wrestling fans have most probably never even heard of them.
Team 3D, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash.

The difference between WWE and TNA when it comes to 'star power' comes down to the booking of the wrestlers. WWE protects a lot of their guys and there is a heirarchy. In TNA no one is protected and no one is allowed to look good. TNA hasn't created any stars in 8 years despite having multiple opportunities. While in those 8 years WWE has created a shit ton that make their product strong.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Team 3D, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash.

The difference between WWE and TNA when it comes to 'star power' comes down to the booking of the wrestlers. WWE protects a lot of their guys and there is a heirarchy. In TNA no one is protected and no one is allowed to look good. TNA hasn't created any stars in 8 years despite having multiple opportunities. While in those 8 years WWE has created a shit ton that make their product strong.
Out of those guys, only Foley could really stand out to me. Nash simply isn't relevant anymore and most casuals would probably think he'd retired after his WCW days. Team 3D are still one of the best tag teams around but being with TNA has hurt their name value IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts