Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this. Kayfabe is dead and we are living in an extraordinary time. I don't think anyone would care even if WWE just decided to scrap storylines and get back to them when things get normal. Or keep the storylines, do a PPV but don't call it WrestleMania ffs.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,347 Posts
I don't understand this. Kayfabe is dead and we are living in an extraordinary time. I don't think anyone would care even if WWE just decided to scrap storylines and get back to them when things get normal. Or keep the storylines, do a PPV but don't call it WrestleMania ffs.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Postpone to when?

Who is to say things are not a million times worse in the US in June, July or August.

WWE have a huge amount of money invested in Wrestlemania. Cancelling it completely costs them $100m. Based on projections postponing for a few months won't make any difference so postponing right now is same as cancelled.

At least running a show in some form right now will generate money for the company via network subs and ppv.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Postpone to when?

Who is to say things are not a million times worse in the US in June, July or August.

WWE have a huge amount of money invested in Wrestlemania. Cancelling it completely costs them $100m. Based on projections postponing for a few months won't make any difference so postponing right now is same as cancelled.

At least running a show in some form right now will generate money for the company via network subs and ppv.
Out of curiosity how is WWE going to make more money from Wrestlemania than they did from Elimination Chamber a few weeks ago?

Also, where did you get $100M from? Wrestlemania 35 made about $16.9M in gate revenue. The $100M you're talking about comes from the economic impact to the city with attendees staying in hotels, going to restaurants, shopping, transportation and all the taxes associated with it. Without a live audience, WWE isn't making any revenue from the gate. This will make no more money than an episode of Raw. They will probably see a spike in Network subscriptions, but not enough to make $16.9M.

·
Registered
650 Posts
How long would you like them to postpone it for? You can only postpone for so long. Nobody knows how long this going to be. You can’t drag out storylines for months. Can’t scrap matches either, that’s screwing over guys like McIntyre and Reigns even if you don’t like those guys.

·
Registered
11,347 Posts
Out of curiosity how is WWE going to make more money from Wrestlemania than they did from Elimination Chamber a few weeks ago?
Wrestlemania sees spike in subs compared to b shows. Last 2 years subs peaked over 2 million for Wrestlemania.

Also, where did you get $100M from? Wrestlemania 35 made about $16.9M in gate revenue. The $100M you're talking about comes from the economic impact to the city with attendees staying in hotels, going to restaurants, shopping, transportation and all the taxes associated with it. Without a live audience, WWE isn't making any revenue from the gate. This will make no more money than an episode of Raw. They will probably see a spike in Network subscriptions, but not enough to make $16.9M.
Ok
gate between $15-20 million
Hall of fame, Raw, SD and Takeover each gate worth around $1 million
Merch sold during week $3-5 million
Axxess probably $10 million
2 million network subs $20 million
Impact of 40% rise in subs for Wrestlemania across calendar year probably $30-40 million

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't care as well.
it doesn't matter about the quality of the card at this point. i suspect many of their performers may already be carrying covid-19 asymptomatically. this will not do. they should not be holding mania at this time and most of these people should be home RIGHT NOW.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
They could postpone it, but they'd be flushing the storylines. This isn't ideal, but at least they're giving us something to watch that weekend, since there aren't any other sports. In a way, WWE (and AEW) are doing us a service by keeping these shows going while we're stuck at home.

1,833 Posts
it doesn't matter about the quality of the card at this point. i suspect many of their performers may already be carrying covid-19 asymptomatically. this will not do. they should not be holding mania at this time and most of these people should be home RIGHT NOW.
Those wrestlers wants their payday and probably a wrestlemania moment as well. Guys like Drew will probably win the belt and with the momentum his got right now, it's now or never.

·
IRAN #1
2,304 Posts
Doing WrestleMania at the PC is the easiest option for them.. Let'f face it, this coronavirus has really fucked up everything, there's not much they can do.

It's best to get WrestleMania over with. Hopefully this virus situation is resolved soon and everything gets back to normal after Mania.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Pretty much what has been said. Just get it out of the way, if things get back to normal I'm sure they will do a special WrestleMania type event in a big stadium.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Postpone to when?

Firstly, where did you get that number from?

Secondly, do you really think Wrestlemania would gross that amount?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I hear people complaining that they don't want Wrestlemania without any crowd. Well, none of us want the current situation, we just have to make the best of it. They can make SummerSlam extra special this year to make up for it, if they're able to have that.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
The more and more I think about it. They should have just scrapped the entire Wrestlemania. Just show old repeats of RAW/SD for next couple of months. Take the hit on TV. Might even surprise themseleves and the ratings might be pretty decent. This is getting bad. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna watch WM. But this is just ridiculous. More people from the roster are gonna get infected if they aren't careful.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Postpone to when?

That's the main problem, and people dont seem to comprehend! This pandemic will still be in full force this summer, and likely be an issue until widespead immunizations begin. So postpone til when exactly...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hear people complaining that they don't want Wrestlemania without any crowd. Well, none of us want the current situation, we just have to make the best of it. They can make SummerSlam extra special this year to make up for it, if they're able to have that.
I actually like it better without the crowd. No obnoxious background noise, guys don't have to pause in promos for the crowd to shut up, and for once i can actually hear the trash talk in the ring between the guys.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I actually like it better without the crowd. No obnoxious background noise, guys don't have to pause in promos for the crowd to shut up, and for once i can actually hear the trash talk in the ring between the guys.
I've always said one of the things I like about wrestling is the crowd. How they respond to the wrestlers, the chants they come up with, how they can have a mind of their own, the signs, the goofy expressions on some of their faces. I went to a very small time local wrestling gig awhile back, I think there were three teeth total in the whole crowd.

But I'm not going to cry if they hold Wrestlemania in an empty arena. These are unique times. And maybe they can postpone it, but who knows how long all this could last? I'm skeptical that there will even be an NFL season this year.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What the hell is this? I would go with no WrestleMania at all rather than having to suffer through GronkMania..

WWE should've refunded everyone for WrestleMania and then have it next year, keeping the most important matches on the card and building them with better storylines through the year.

Nobody would give a fuck if we had no WrestleMania this year, if the writing and the storylines were at the Ruthless Agression level for example throughout the year, leading to the anticipated WrestleMania.

The entire world agreed to postpone the Olympics, while Vinnie Mac refuses to postpone a scripted wrestling event, shitting of fans and wrestlers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts