Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they're very few people (including me) on this forum, who disliked the AE. Who saw it as quite possible the worst in ring product the WWE offered. From the overbooked endings, to the brawlfests that were called wrestling matches, to the ever so popular swerves, the Attitude Era just left a bad taste in some of our mouths. Th biggest reason why I hate the Attitude Era, was the fans. Yes the fans weer hot. They'd stand up on their feet for 2 hours straight, but.....

Are these wrestling fans? You come to a WRESTLING show to watch a WRESTLING match, yet you call a headlock take over (a WRESTLING move) BORING? GET THE FUCK OUT! Sure pro wrestling doesn't draw. I accept that. I know that. Heck I myself watch RAW for the promos and segments, but on a PPV it's all about WRESTLING. Thank God, the era is over and these fans are gone. Quite frankly, fuck mainstream. Fuck it if WWE's not "popular" anymore. Cause if popularity means, a match has to be nothing but table breaking, chair swinging, steel step slamming, swerve ending I don't want any part of it. This is why nothing beats the Ruthless Aggression era IMO. Perfect balance of wrestling and entertainment. Oh and the fans cheered when they saw a wrestling move.

·
Registered
189 Posts
im not gonna try to refute what you say becuase everyone is open to there own opinion, but in mine alot of what made the attitude era great, was in fact the fans. people were way more into it then. it wasnt uncommon for the fans to boo and cheer the entire night, not just for the maineventers. it was rare for anyone to come out to no reaction. i guess its just a case of "you had to be there when it happened". i dont think anyone is claiming it had the BEST in ring performance, but in my opinion it was damn good.

i guess my point is, it was more about the person then the moves. and isnt that what professional wrestling is all about?

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
Kurt Angle said in an interview that he deliberately worked slower to get the crowd to chant "boring" because Vince McMahon told him to do so, as a catalyst for him cutting a promo on them, as a way of getting heat, so there goes your theory.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Dude, be prepared to get the verbal abuse of your life on here by disgruntled Attitude fans :lmao

I liked the product, but I'm not pining to see it again. You simply can't re-create something that's already been done in wrestling. What annoys me is that these Attitude warriors assume that if WWE became TV-14 the product will magically be perfect. Swearing, blood and tits can only go so far. Good writing and booking are what matter just as much.

Keep in mind all the crap that went on during those days. PG might be boring, but it sure as hell beats Mark Henry impregnating Mae Young, Triple H fucking mannequins, big guys reading poetry while molesting announcers and baby killing foot fetishists.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
The fans are just one of the things that was good about the attitude era. They were hot, and really gave the arenas more atmosphere, which gave it a little more intensity. When fans got into a match, it really made a difference and it was great for what it's worth.

Think of it this way. If you went to a Rock concert or Heavy Metal concert, you would know that the fans create the atmosphere half the time. The band can be great, but if the fans aren't rocking out, and singing with the band etc, then the concert becomes dead and just it just ruins the atmosphere. I hate looking at live videos on youtube and seeing a dead audience, it's not what the band wants. Sure it dosen't take anything away from the band's performance, but it can be annoying watching the band rock out and giving it everything, with little or no reaction from the audience.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
So you're saying the attitude era sucked because the fans booed a wrestling move? The ruthless aggression era gave birth to katie vick so it's an automatic fail imo, even though smackdown saved the era by having outstanding storylines/wrestling. It seems as though you hate the attitude era for a very petty reason, we all have our opinions of the AE personally i thought it was great but did have it's problems. I think people go overboard and completely dismiss the AE as crash tv because it's the contrarian thing to do.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kurt Angle said in an interview that he deliberately worked slower to get the crowd to chant "boring" because Vince McMahon told him to do so, as a catalyst for him cutting a promo on them, as a way of getting heat, so there goes your theory.
Exactly. I doubt Kurt Angle would otherwise get out of the ring mid-match and complain to the crowd. It was a dull match that I would have been bored with as well. It wasn't just the Attitude Era fans that would be bored with a match like that. Recently, Miz and R-Truth got a boring chant on a pay per view for working a slow match like that.

I don't get the obsession with old school wrestling fanatics that demand more long holds and headlocks. I mean, to each their own, but considering we all know it's scripted, I don't know what a prolonged period of holds accomplishes. I'd like some excitement. Spots, even. (Oh no, not the spots!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts