Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a dumb question but...

apparently the WWE put the title back on Cena because ratings were low with Del Rio as champ. But why is Del Rio blamed for the poor ratings?

Cena still appears on the show and has a lot of TV time whether he is or is not champion.

If someone wins for the 1st time in their career ( Mark Henry, Christian), then I can understand a bump in the ratings for people tuning in to see their 1st promo as champ... but other than that, I dont understand why people watch or dont watch depending who has the championship.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The champion of the show is really the main point, so he's usually involved in the opening promo, some backstage segments and then the main event. So people have to watch the world champ a lot during a RAW or SD!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The champion of the show is really the main point, so he's usually involved in the opening promo, some backstage segments and then the main event. So people have to watch the world champ a lot during a RAW or SD!
But whether Cenas champ or contending for the championship won't all those Cena fans still tune in regardless?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Its the change of championship from Del rio to John cena now that affects the ratings more than just cena as champion.

Cena no longer draws on his own as he used to back in 2008, 2009, his segments are losing viewers these days.

But regardless , cena is the top draw of WWE. His Merchandise always at the top, WWE pushes him as the face of the company so he has to be "WWE" champion at times.

You should understand cena is probably the best top guy you could ever get, he is always willing to job or put over anyone on the roster, no drug issues, no ego , no backstage politicking simply put he is easily marketable as a champion.

John cena as WWE champion = $$$ , simple as that.

The thing with cena and randy orton is , Cena draws more as the champion while randy draws more "chasing the championship" and if you have a heel like HHH as champion then Orton would actually appear to be a bigger draw than cena.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
The champion is the face of the show they are on. They are the main attraction and are usually heavily featured. If the champion is entertaining people are going to want to see alot of them and will tune in. If we have a boring champion the appeal to watch the show is nonexistant. Personally I watch the show every week no matter how bad I think it'll be. But casual fans might not do the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a matter of how people connect with a character actually. The problem with most other champions is they are not John Cena. John Cena is this heroic figure with high morals. And the only thing he asks for all the "good things" he does is to be WWE champion. So I think people want to see their hero fight to defend his most prized possession. Or that is what we are supposed to do. With someone like Alberto Del Rio they don't seem to get why he wants this championship and why it is important that someone takes it from him. They don't see his character as someone who thinks he is owed the top spot just because his name is Alberto Del Rio but rather as someone who rambled about destiny and cashed in a contract to get a championship match at the most opportune of times.

·
Fairy Hunter
1,782 Posts
The champion is the face of the show they are on. They are the main attraction and are usually heavily featured. If the champion is entertaining people are going to want to see alot of them and will tune in. If we have a boring champion the appeal to watch the show is nonexistant. Personally I watch the show every week no matter how bad I think it'll be. But casual fans might not do the same.
I honestly feel the same way.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The champion *should* be the main character on the show, he needs to bring the viewers, that's how wrestling business works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts