Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know the obvious, but what's the deal with the United Kingdom Championship title? It's basically a CW title for small English men. Nothing against the work rate of the division because it's fantastic, but I feel like this CW title based on what I have seen from within the division. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The UK title isn't a CW title, one of the guys in the tournament was a big fucker (Wolfgang)
^ This - one of the guys that made it pretty far was around 260ish. However, for whatever reason, most of the guys in the tournament were CW(ish) in size.

I do agree they need to get some big UK guys in there or it is going to come across as mainly another CW belt.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyler Bate is one of the smaller talents on the roster that isn't a woman. Wolfgang is a man no one remembers. The majority of the roster from what I gather are CW.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Who cares? They're talented. They put on great matches.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
They are getting a UK show so that's the point of the title.

Honestly, in my experience us British are much smaller than North Americans, not in height but mass.
We don't have the same sports culture in schools and beyond which breeds tonnes of powerful athletes who lift hard for years. Likewise Hogan and 80s movie stats made muscles a huge part of US culture.
UK wrestling has a single stream of talent, it doesn't have tonnes of 230lb+ ex collegiate ball players/amateur wrestlers/bodybuilders joining their talent pool.

That's why a talent like McIntyre is such a rarity on the UK scene.

Reactions: RavishingRickRules

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
They are getting a UK show so that's the point of the title.

Honestly, in my experience us British are much smaller than North Americans, not in height but mass.
We don't have the same sports culture in schools and beyond which breeds tonnes of powerful athletes who lift hard for years. Likewise Hogan and 80s movie stats made muscles a huge part of US culture.
UK wrestling has a single stream of talent, it doesn't have tonnes of 230lb+ ex collegiate ball players/amateur wrestlers/bodybuilders joining their talent pool.

That's why a talent like McIntyre is such a rarity on the UK scene.
Adding to that there aren't really any big home grown promotions either so it's not really something a lot of athletes are aiming to get into. I know an indie wrestler in the UK who wrestles for PCW and Futureshock Wrestling and he still has a "day job" as I'm sure many British wrestlers do. The type of people becoming wrestlers in the British scene aren't really the high-powered athlete types, they play football and rugby as well as athletics, tennis, cricket and all the other more common sports we have out here. I've never heard of Greco-roman wrestling in the UK, i'm sure we have it but in the grand scheme of sports in the UK it's smaller than a footnote if we do. Generally all the indy wrestlers I've met in the UK are wrestling fans who worked out and paid for training to become wrestlers, it's just not really something a lot of people are aiming for out here, especially the ones who are athletic enough to play real sports. The majority of athletic kids are dreaming of the Olympics, Premier League or other high profile sports tbh.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Why does the UK Division exist in the first place? All WWE do is imitate PROGRESS shows and strip out all of the stuff that makes those shows great, while smugly proclaiming that somehow WWE built all of this. It's bollocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts