Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(EDIT: Yeah this should be in general WWE...noobs, eh?)

Bryan Daniels, Kaval, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston... John Morrison and Alberto Del Rio are perhaps both on the cusp of the main event, but apart from that...

I don't want to see a half hour Orton and Barret match at a pay per view, it bores me to tears. The Miz VS Orton? Excuse me if I'm not trembling with anticipation about that one (the Miz is pretty good actually but I doubt he can get a good match out of randy).

Is this the legacy of Russo and the mid-late attitude era? Everyone seems to be ringing their hands over B-grade acting and monologues, instead of fantastic matches.

What the hell gives?

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
780 Posts
It's all about the benjamins. Until these "great" wrestlers start moving some product. You'll get the Orton/Barrett show and you'll like it! Or else you'll go to bed with no dessert!

Lol I don't get it either sometimes, but that's how the WWE has always been. You have the larger than life characters in the Main Event supplemented by the workhorses. You put in your time as a workhorse, work your way up the card, get the people to rally behind you and just take the ball and run with it. And if you're lucky something special happens.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,972 Posts
One was already champ and Only two of those names are actually being built up and will be world champions someday.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
the sad truth-mic skills matter

they need to give these guys unscripted promos because that's what they excel in. Bryan and Morrison have both proved that. Swagger would be a great 2002-esque Angle character. Morriso's dirt sheet/palace of wisdom character is his real character. Bryan's nxt promo showed his real character. There was that one promo by Kingston last year that showed his character, he isn't just a happy go around guy he has some confidence in him. That's the big problem

·
13,972 Posts
the sad truth-mic skills matter

they need to give these guys unscripted promos because that's what they excel in. Bryan and Morrison have both proved that. Swagger would be a great 2002-esque Angle character. Morriso's dirt sheet/palace of wisdom character is his real character. Bryan's nxt promo showed his real character. There was that one promo by Kingston last year that showed his character, he isn't just a happy go around guy he has some confidence in him. That's the big problem
:lmao How do you know bryan's and kofi's promo were unscripted? A promo can be good if the material is good, not everyone can deliver a great unscripted promo.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
:lmao How do you know bryan's and kofi's promo were unscripted? A promo can be good if the material is good, not everyone can deliver a great unscripted promo.
Yea but since when was the material good?

Your probably right on Kofi, but you actually think that creative told Bryan to bash Vince and the way the company was the ran in that promo? He probably asked if he could do it, but it was defitantly not a script

·
13,972 Posts
Yea but since when was the material good?

Your probably right on Kofi, but you actually think that creative told Bryan to bash Vince and the way the company was the ran in that promo? He probably asked if he could do it, but it was defitantly not a script
If bryan did that then he would have been fired right away, unlike other promotions, Vince has control over his product.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
1 - Money. The guys are in the mid-card because they have yet to demonstrate that they can make the big money for Vince.

2 - Better use for their talent. It's actually pretty easy to book someone like a main-eventer, just have them go through everyone on the roster multiple times until they get over. It doesn't always work of course but when it does you get a Goldberg or a Brock Lesnar. It's just as easy to book someone as a jobber, just have them lose in 2 or 3 minutes every week and get next to no offense in. The mid-card guys fall in the middle, they have to win enough to make you think they have a chance and then lose against the main-eventers, looking good in the process, this requires far more talent than the other 2 roles which is why the best guys end up in that role.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
Agreed, WWE need to stop putting shitty wrestlers who silence the crowd into the main event, it's as if they're actually allergic to pushing someone who doesn't use a stomp as their signature move.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I don't get it either sometimes, but that's how the WWE has always been. You have the larger than life characters in the Main Event supplemented by the workhorses.
I disagree, it wasn't like this until "Attitude" really got into its stride. In the mid 90s you had Bret, Michaels, Owen, Foley...and Undertaker and Kane were in their prime,

And a bit afterwards in the early to mid 00's you had Angle, Benoit, Booker T, Jericho and HBK again all riding high.

2 - Better use for their talent. It's actually pretty easy to book someone like a main-eventer, just have them go through everyone on the roster multiple times until they get over. It doesn't always work of course but when it does you get a Goldberg or a Brock Lesnar. It's just as easy to book someone as a jobber, just have them lose in 2 or 3 minutes every week and get next to no offense in. The mid-card guys fall in the middle, they have to win enough to make you think they have a chance and then lose against the main-eventers, looking good in the process, this requires far more talent than the other 2 roles which is why the best guys end up in that role.
Interesting theory. Never thought of it that way before.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Randy Orton > The Miz in the ring. Orton is actually a good in-ring worker but sometimes he has difficulty on developing instant chemistry with some wrestlers, from what i remember he's only had bad matches with Barrett this year and i can partly blame it on Barrett because it's obvious that Barrett needs more seasoning in the ring, Orton's matches with Cena and Sheamus are all very good. Just imagine when he faces Miz, hopefully it won't be as dreadful as i think it would be. Wrestling is obviously not something that Miz excels at, he's not horrible, but his wrestling skill is just average at best. His match with Daniel Bryan was great though.

Back on topic, i think WWE have more faith in guys like Orton and Miz than Morrison, Kofi, Bryan, or Ziggler because they are very good at what WWE wants them to do, which is to sell feuds. Good build-up in feuds always involves good sport entertainers, Orton and Miz are very good at getting the crowds involved in their segments, they could carry high profile feuds very well and their characters are the most developed compared to those midcarders. I'm not saying guys like Morrison or Kofi can't do the same, it's just WWE don't really give them a chance, WWE give them generic personality and no character development (especially Kofi). It's also hard for them to carry a high profile feud because their mic skill is rather weak compared to Miz, that's why WWE is very keen on giving the ball to Miz because Miz is very good at making the audience care about his storylines that will potentially lead the audience to pay for his match at PPV to see the conclusion. Orton is pretty damn over and charismatic (yes, i'm serious, who cares what haters say), he also has one of the best look in the company, and imo Orton is fine on the mic, just because he doesn't crack jokes or says funny lines doesn't mean he's 'horrible on the mic', he's supposed to talk in monotone voice because it's part of his character, if you don't like it and find it boring then maybe it's just not your cup of tea, he also has something that makes him standout and "cool" which is his RKO, most people love that move. With all these attributes i'm not surprised WWE wants Orton to be in the main event spot. So all in all, it seems wrestling skill isn't everything according to WWE.

And also all these midcarders are still young, most of them will probably get their shot in the main event eventually when all the veterans retire. Oh, and i just wanna say that Alberto Del Rio is great, and WWE seemingly think the same so don't worry about him not getting main event spot because he's almost getting there. Just my view.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Because they need time to develop in the ring and on the mic/working the crowd. I hated seeing guys jump from the midcard into a world title or serious world title contention as I felt that they hadn't really connected to the crowd as well as they could of if they stayed in the midcard for a little while longer.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
He's clumsy at times but he's Gold compared to 3/4ths of the roster.
I've got no problem with his in ring abilities, I just hate how he sounds like a 12 year old on the mic - and that's not just because of the horrible lisp

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I don't know, the WWE obviously don't feel some of them are ready despite being the better wrestlers. I don't think 'wrestling' is the main thing that they are looking for to be honest. Look at the main evneters, a lot of them aren't great in ring, but they have 'the look', they can work a mic etc, even if they are shit in the ring.

As somebody who likes more wrestling though, I don't like that they push all these main event guys to the top only for them to bore everyone who pays money to watch them on PPV. At the last two PPVs we've had Kane/Undertaker, Edge/Kane, and two Orton/Barrett matches, all boring matches. And next PPV it's not looking much better since we're likely to have ANOTHER Edge/Kane match AND Miz/Orron which could be atrocious. I just find it very strange watching a PPV and having the mid-card guys outperform, and entertain the crowd FAR better than the main eventers. It's just strange to see.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
A mid carder shoots up every once in a while. But if every mid carder went to main event status then no more U.S title IC title tag title and so on every body might as well fight for one title.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Because the fans dont care about them. They care about people who are good at interacting with them. 90% of the people who go go to be entertained. They couldnt careless about who's good in the ring who know 7 variations of an armbar and who can execute a standing dropkick. They want characters not athletes.

More people liked Morrison when he was heel because he was funny. He had a personality. Now he's a guy who makes people go wow and what happened the reaction went downhill.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts