Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may not be as good as it used to be but it is still good.Once Alex Shelly comes back it should be even better.I understand that it should be the highlite of tna but atleast they are showing efforts to improve it.I think they should go out and hire more indy talent for the x-division.Personally they should have never messed up the division in the first place.And as much as you would love to see AJ styles and Samoa Joe main event, I think they need to come back to the X-division

Anyways, if you could bring back any x-division star, who would it be.And who do you want to see as the champion?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Styles and Joe going back to the X-Division is a demotion. With Aries at the helm and the new influx of talent, I'm fine with the direction they are going in. They have two accomplished heels in Aries and Kash, veterans such as Shelley and Sabin and a pool of young talent which they can develop.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They need to promote the X-Division like it used to be.

It's a shame you can't get a few good x-division matches in with all the talking they do when the show starts. Seriously, 40 minutes of talking and 10 minutes of wrestling does not a good show make.

That time could used to have at least two more matches.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hate watching all the mouth running.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree there should be atleast 2 x division matches per show.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
would love to see TNA bring in Davey Richards or Kevin Steen and throw them into the X-Division with Aries.. and let them steal the show.. Would also love to see guys like Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino and Dragon Kid in TNA and setting the X-Division on fire.

Right now im happy with Aries being the champion and hope he gets a really long reign, a year maybe more. And the only person i would bring back and put back into the mix would be Petey Williams.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Because people have unrealistic expectations. There's no way TNA can put 2 x-division matches on every Impact with the amount of titles and wrestlers they have to book.

For now at least be happy they're actually booking the division, unless you would prefer random spotfests again.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
They need to promote the X-Division like it used to be.

It's a shame you can't get a few good x-division matches in with all the talking they do when the show starts. Seriously, 40 minutes of talking and 10 minutes of wrestling does not a good show make.

That time could used to have at least two more matches.
Promos build storylines. Random matches just for the sake of seeing matches, doesn't. That's what Xplosion is for. Right now the format of the show is fine for all the storylines they're running.

It's just silly for people to demand to see more matches when those matches have no purpose.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Here is a list of all X-division matches since Destination-X (ppvs not included). This list doesnt make me very hopefull for the future of the x-division. I'm ok with just 1 x-divion match a week (2 is indeed unrealistic), but 2-3 minutes for an x-division match is ridiculous.

2011.07.14 Austin Aries vs. Shannon Moore [3:42]
2011.07.21 Brian Kendrick vs. Alex Shelley [5:00]
2011.07.28 Brian Kendrick vs. Abyss [5:00]
2011.08.04 Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley [6:00]
2011.08.11 Brian Kendrick vs. Robbie E [3:00]
2011.08.18 Eight-Man X-Division Gauntlet
2011.08.25 Kid Kash vs. Jesse Sorensen [3:00]
2011.09.01 Jesse Sorenson/Brian Kendrick vs. Austin Aries/Kid Kash [5:00]
2011.09.08 Eric Young vs. Robbie E [2:00]
2011.09.15 -

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Here is a list of all X-division matches since Destination-X (ppvs not included). This list doesnt make me very hopefull for the future of the x-division. I'm ok with just 1 x-divion match a week (2 is indeed unrealistic), but 2-3 minutes for an x-division match is ridiculous.

2011.07.14 Austin Aries vs. Shannon Moore [3:42]
2011.07.21 Brian Kendrick vs. Alex Shelley [5:00]
2011.07.28 Brian Kendrick vs. Abyss [5:00]
2011.08.04 Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley [6:00]
2011.08.11 Brian Kendrick vs. Robbie E [3:00]
2011.08.18 Eight-Man X-Division Gauntlet
2011.08.25 Kid Kash vs. Jesse Sorensen [3:00]
2011.09.01 Jesse Sorenson/Brian Kendrick vs. Austin Aries/Kid Kash [5:00]
2011.09.08 Eric Young vs. Robbie E [2:00]
2011.09.15 -
How many of those matches were so important that they deserved a lot of time? I don't want to see Kendrick and Robbie E have a 15 minute match, lmao. Eric Young vs. Robbie E? Who gives a shit.

The X-Division had 2 matches at the last PPV that combined for 22 minutes. They have been booked consistently and decently since Destination-X. Just because it's not 2005 anymore, doesn't mean it isn't being booked fine.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Probably because it's not the main event or main marketing point of the show. But it can't be if IW wants to grow, since the mainstream wants variety. For years the X-division was treated as an afterthought, a cruiserweight-like division with guys who could work but had zero character depth... and that doesn't work either. Now, they seem to be focusing on two or three well rounded guys... A Double being the centerpiece. The revived X-division's purpose is no longer about high workrate, low promo/character depth and it shouldn't be. It's about building potential main eventers ala the IC/US title divisions. It's a better balance of sport and entertainment. Hopefully IW doesn't switch up this booking style. I mean I'd rather see a Aries/Shelley blood feud as opposed to an endless string of meaningless 10-15 minute matches involving Sorensen, Ion, and Robbie E.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I really have tried to love the X Division. I have. I watch matches like that gauntlet (I loved Cruiserweight Opens) and it just didn't do anything for me. Styles-Daniels was rubbish, and the rest of Destination X was just alright. Nothing spectacular. It's certainly not a patch on the WCW cruiserweight matches.

That's really my view of X Division: It's alright, but nothing amazing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They're giving a title shot to a Team 3D Student. That is all.
there must be a reason why NOAH and NJPW have talent scouts and wrestling teachers for at the 3D academy..

And Equimanthorn go watch old X-Division matches, it shits all over the cruiserweight division.. Watch Shelley vs. Sabin from Genesis or Joe vs. Styles vs. Daniels.. The X-Division used to be the premier light weight title in the world, only second to the IWGP jr. TNA basically killed the title, but with the belt on Aries, i have a feeling it will take it back to the golden age.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The X-Division is pretty much one of the things I've complained the least about since Destination X this year. It's not great, but its treated consistently. The X-Division if anything was one of the few things which benefited from the Bischoff-Hogan regime. The only time it really sucked was when Kazarian was champ.

Promos build storylines. Random matches just for the sake of seeing matches, doesn't. That's what Xplosion is for. Right now the format of the show is fine for all the storylines they're running.

It's just silly for people to demand to see more matches when those matches have no purpose.
Characters make the storylines far more than the promos. Promos, like matches, are but tools in telling stories and showcasing the characters; they can also be superflous and devoid of meaning if done without purpose or any forethought for the sake of doing them, just look at WWE. If anything, the biggest failing of the WCW crew as a creative force was how they went so far as to compromise the characters in order to advance their usually poorly written stories rather than their deemphasis on the wrestling.

That said, I agree with you on the X-Division, but just like commenting on unrelated points.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Two long X-Division matches a week? = The rest of the show better be spectacular or it's tune out time for me (and a number of others I suspect.)

I like that they are possibly building around AA. And I also hope Shelley gets some quality time.

Eric Young hasn't been interesting since World Elite broke up. Shannon Moore is only useful when teamed with Neal in the tag division. And I really don't care much about Robbie E or Kendrick as performers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts