Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, just been spending some time today watching some classic WWF pay per view main events and it got me thinking..

Why are the PPVs of the 90s more memorable than, lets say, the last 5 years?

Maybe its just me, but personally I really couldn't consider any pay per view (outside the big 4 - Royal Rumble/WrestleMania/Summerslam/Survivor Series) of the last couple of years to be considered one that would be looked back on in years to come ...

Could be that the outcome of PPVs were much more important back in the day than now (and the title actually meant something back then than now)..

Anyone else agree, or disagree?

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Nostalgia and match variety spring to mind, as does the sheer ferocity of the storylines in the attitude era. But I think one of the main factors we're least likely to consider is the audience. When half the world is paying attention, things do feel bigger and more memorable.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
There's too many of them, for one. I can tell you what happened at EVERY PPV between 1989 and 1995 because there were only 4-5 a year, but once In Your House was introduced things start getting hazy.

More to the point, too many of the shows are just forgettable. I honestly couldn't tell you a SINGLE match that happened at Over the Limit 2010, and that was just six months ago. Randy Orton vs. Edge, maybe?

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's too many of them, for one. I can tell you what happened at EVERY PPV between 1989 and 1995 because there were only 4-5 a year, but once In Your House was introduced things start getting hazy.
This. Plus there's just too much wrestling on free TV. It's hard for a PPV match to be memorable when you watched the same 2 guys go at it every single week with different stipulations on free TV leading up to it, and following it. Imagine if we had watched Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect every week for 3 weeks leading up to Summer Slam, and then a few weeks after that, and probably another PPV match the following month.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are way too many of them now. Monthly ppv's are overkill. Back in the day when there was only the big four you could really develop the storylines, now they have to do it over the course of two or three shows (sometimes the week before!). I miss the old ppv days.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
This. Plus there's just too much wrestling on free TV. It's hard for a PPV match to be memorable when you watched the same 2 guys go at it every single week with different stipulations on free TV leading up to it, and following it. Imagine if we had watched Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect every week for 3 weeks leading up to Summer Slam, and then a few weeks after that, and probably another PPV match the following month.
Precisely. I don't want to turn this into a thread about reducing the PPV schedule, but that really is the reason why most of us couldn't tell you the difference between, say, Judgment Day 2009 and Extreme Rules 2009.

Jeff Hardy v. Edge
Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio
Umaga v. CM Punk
Batista v. Randy Orton
John Cena v. The Big Show

ALL of these matches from Judgment Day were REPEATED at Extreme Rules a month later, and another one from Judgment Day (Christian v. Jack Swagger) not only was a repeat from the LAST show (Backlash), but was repeated AGAIN at Extreme Rules with Tommy Dreamer added in. The only match from JD that WASN'T repeated at Extreme Rules was Shelton Benjamin v. John Morrison.

THAT'S why pay per views are no longer memorable.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Basically everything got played out. While Russos idea of "gimmicking" the ppv up at one point could have fooled people or even meant more if it was a really big match like Taker/Mankind Hell in a Cell now none of thse kinds of matches mean anything because we just expect them to happen all the time. I also think fans wanna see guys like Orton and Cena but WWE isn't even sure what their doing with their biggest stars. Also the titles have gone to shit. Their just props now. At least back in the day Stone Cold and only a few other stars were champions and you were excited about who would be the next champion.

Now the unexpected has happened so much that it's become expected for a mid card jobber to win a world championship and we all know WWE's formula for every thing they do from the way their matches work to the way they book their heels for Cena to just go over them or what not. The product is beyond stale and for whatever reason it's been totally inferior to the product in the 90's in the first place. I'm talking about 2005ish-2006 when Cena became "the man" in the company. It's been far inferior and it's still the same shit today. So the staleness needs a big overhaul that only a big genius like McMahon can make happen.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I'd say that the main problem is the fact that there is currently too much WWE on TV at the moment. With the number of TV shows and PPVs, they don't have the time to fill out the storylines enough to properly build up the match. Secondly, since Monday Night Raw and Nitro started showing PPV quality main event matches on a regluar basis, the PPV matches don't seem to have the big match, special occasion feel to them anymore. Titles matches used to happen quite rarely but these days the championship always seems to be on the line.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I'd say that the main problem is the fact that there is currently too much WWE on TV at the moment. With the number of TV shows and PPVs, they don't have the time to fill out the storylines enough to properly build up the match. Secondly, since Monday Night Raw and Nitro started showing PPV quality main event matches on a regluar basis, the PPV matches don't seem to have the big match, special occasion feel to them anymore. Titles matches used to happen quite rarely but these days the championship always seems to be on the line.
And do you know why they don't have that big feel to them anymore? It's because these comedy spoofs they do on Raw every week and having poor booking for the WWE Champion and the whole entire company for that matter. You don't even have to have long build up or have the match be at Wrestlemania between two legends to get a big match feel out of it. Of course that's the only way now with WWE at this point because their clueless and the booking is failing miserably, not to be taken serious by fans at all. There's no feeling where you can't wait to see who wins or you care about seeing the matches anymore so why pay for them or even watch them for that matter.

In real sports you wanna see your team win and watch just to see them but in wrestling theres no more characters that are your man anymore. How the hell can people relate with The Miz? Because you are awesome? Please just please.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Precisely. I don't want to turn this into a thread about reducing the PPV schedule, but that really is the reason why most of us couldn't tell you the difference between, say, Judgment Day 2009 and Extreme Rules 2009.

Jeff Hardy v. Edge
Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio
Umaga v. CM Punk
Batista v. Randy Orton
John Cena v. The Big Show

ALL of these matches from Judgment Day were REPEATED at Extreme Rules a month later, and another one from Judgment Day (Christian v. Jack Swagger) not only was a repeat from the LAST show (Backlash), but was repeated AGAIN at Extreme Rules with Tommy Dreamer added in. The only match from JD that WASN'T repeated at Extreme Rules was Shelton Benjamin v. John Morrison.

THAT'S why pay per views are no longer memorable.
I agree completely. Nice job on the research, btw. :)

The timeframe I remember most is the mid-90s (95-97), so I'll post about that.

When they switched to the 12 PPV, In Your House schedule, it added more matches to the calendar. Not rehashed sequels, but new feuds. You had Shawn/Bulldog at Beware of Dog in May, then a rematch in June at KOTR. That was fine, because it made sense in the storyline, and because of the technical problems at IYH. Then you had a tag match at Internation Incident. Now, at Summerslam, you have Shawn/Vader, Mind Games, Shawn/Mankind, Buried Alive, Shawn/Goldust, and Survivor Series, Shawn/Sid. That's 6 straight months (June to November) with a different match for Shawn Michaels, the reigning WWF Champion.

That was what made the WWF so good, IMO, was that you had a new contender every month, not the same match from April through July.

·
the endorse who set the course
8,677 Posts
they need to cut back ppv's in half. one every other month. the only reason they don't i'm sure is because they'll lose money, but i know i'd be a lot more likely to buy a ppv if it was a bi monthly event, it'd undoubtebly by a bigger deal. they could build the angles longer to get people mor einterested in the feuds.

·
#1 A**hole
1,394 Posts
I believe they are not at memorable today because WWE just doesn't seem to focus on great storylines unless it is for WrestleMania.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Every wrestlemania since 22 are basically the same and every other PPV are just rematches with different stipulations, even the early 2000's had memorable PPV's its just that now they're doing the same shit(to a lesser extent in 2010 because at least they have some fresh faces)over and over again.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
14 PPVs is just too much, 6-8 is the best option.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
because of all the rematches, over use of gimmicks and lack of consistantcy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts