Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems very silly to me. I remember reading a thread on Batista and people were talking about how they would hate to see someone come back and go straight to the main event and take a younger guys spot. Why does it matter that much? I mean Batista vs Brock Lesnar sounds much more appealing than say... Zack Ryder getting a shot against CM Punk. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Guys like Ziggler, McIntyre, I could see why people would want them in the main event. But I'd have no interest in someone like Cody Rhodes getting a shot against Sheamus. Younger talent isn't always the right solution. I have no problem with guys like Rock, Lesnar, Batista coming back and taking part in big matches. As a fan, you should want to see that. There's only a handful of midcarders that could cut it in the main event.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I agree i love seeing big names come back and add star power. I don't bitch i sit back and enjoy. But WWE needs to capitalise on this and build new talent along side so once the older talent is gone they can take the spots. IMO they have been doing this with Punk, Sheamus, Bryan and Rhodes so......

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Everyone is always so focused on the future that they forget to enjoy the present. The same people who whine incessantly about how bored they are with long-standing main eventers like Cena and Orton will be the first to cry about the good old days of Cena and Orton the minute the two are gone.

It's a fun game to pick out what young talent will end up being future stars, but they need to be given the proper room to grow...both in regard to their employer and to us. Too many fans, especially within the IWC, don't consider the context of how they're evaluating emerging talent. People can make judgments about a guy like Ziggler today and say he's either great or he has no future, but who can say for sure? It was a thin line between the Ringmaster and Stone Cold.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I guess the main reason people are so obsessed with younger talent is because that is who the company is destined to be built around in the future. Guys like Jericho, Brock, Triple H and Undertaker are only part time for a reason. They are too sore and up in age to be the focal point of any long term angles. I understand bringing these guys back to get big ratings but the only big rating WWE can gurantee to get is at WM.

I just hate how people bitch about Cody or Ziggler not getting a push but mark out when Wrestler A returns. That's the reason Cody or Ziggler aren't being properly used. That's why Punk's reign was horrible. Maybe they don't have "it" or maybe it is because of the constant returns of guys from the past.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I just hate how people bitch about Cody or Ziggler not getting a push but mark out when Wrestler A returns.
What I really hate is when a guy everyone bitches about wanting to get pushed does get pushed and then everyone bitches about how the guy got pushed too much. CM Punk is the poster child for this phenomenon; in the span of a year he went from IWC darling to pariah. Why? Simple: once he got pushed, it wasn't cool to like him anymore. It's the same reason no one on here says a word about Zack Ryder anymore after months of a new thread being made about the guy every day.

To use an old John Madden football analogy, in the eyes of the fans, the backup quarterback is always better.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Life moves on, period. You leave, quit, get injured or whatever happens there will be someone to fill that void. Once that void is filled you no longer have a "spot" you are effectively hindering someone else.

Bruno or Bob Backlund didn't get in Hogan's way.
Hogan didn't get in Austin & Rock's way.
That's how things work.
Wanna know what happens when you don't effectively move on? WCW happens.

You can't hang on to people forever. I would love it if Randy Savage could still perform but seriously outside of being dead already he was old as hell when he was alive. Its nice to have guys come in from time to time like Piper does or something to do things but those guy's time has past, gotta let that shit go. Even younger guys like Rock, its cool for him to come back every now and again to mix it up with the new guys but he damn sure shouldn't be there to replace them.

Rock surrendered his spot when he left for the lion's share of 10 years, sure he's still young but there are even younger guys who are trying to make a name for themselves too. People work hard to earn their positions just like he had to and getting bumped is some bullshit, if you don't understand that there's nothing else can be said.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree I love when people return to the wwe. Instead of complaining guys and girls need to find away to take advantage of the extra shine from the big names.

Folks need to understand to that the wwe can only do "trial and error" for so long. They are in the business of making money and big names make more money in the up and comers and or guys who are just barely over with the audience. As quiet as it's kept for some of yall that still matters at the end of the day.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Blame orton and lesnar
Since them two all you get is WE NEED YOUNG NEW GUYZ OVER 30 TOO OLD

They always forget(or don't know) how old hogan,shawn,bret,taker,austin,foley,benoit,eddie,etc were when they got a shot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One more point... When are the younger guys going to start being held accountable for not just accepting a spot but actually doing something with it. I know they all can't just fly off the handle but it takes being bold to get results sometimes. Even Jim Ross said today the guys just do what they are told they get fed something and they don't add anything to their character. You have to work with what you have if you are only given 30 secs to speak or do something its up to you to make an impression.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I guess the main reason people are so obsessed with younger talent is because that is who the company is destined to be built around in the future. Guys like Jericho, Brock, Triple H and Undertaker are only part time for a reason. They are too sore and up in age to be the focal point of any long term angles. I understand bringing these guys back to get big ratings but the only big rating WWE can gurantee to get is at WM.

I just hate how people bitch about Cody or Ziggler not getting a push but mark out when Wrestler A returns. That's the reason Cody or Ziggler aren't being properly used. That's why Punk's reign was horrible. Maybe they don't have "it" or maybe it is because of the constant returns of guys from the past.
Bolded 1:
That's exactly my point. Undertaker comes back from Feb-til about April. You cant build a business around him anymore, what are you going to do in May? June? July? People don't think about that. He has his WM match and he disappears, that's fine with me.

Bolded 2:
Spot on. Guys like Cody & Ziggler get big pushes all year then here comes somebody to push them back down the card. Neither has been the same since the RTWM began, it doesn't make any damn sense. I would like for the returns to not interfere with the progress of others but it seems, at least to me, that it is.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
The WCW analogy was spot-on. It's one thing for WWE to book the next several WrestleManias around legends matches, but if they don't watch themselves, they're gonna end up with a main event scene the WWE equivalent of Buff Bagwell vs. Billy Kidman on their hands.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't care so much because most of the younger talent won't amount much anyway, but the WWE needs to push new stars now because they won't have the old stars to bring back soon. Lesnar likely will be gone for good after WM, and Rock is going to be a once/twice a year guy until he no longer even wants to do that. Plus there is a reason that Raw has low ratings, and it's because they have few main eventers right now. Not in the future, but in the present.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bolded 1:
That's exactly my point. Undertaker comes back from Feb-til about April. You cant build a business around him anymore, what are you going to do in May? June? July? People don't think about that. He has his WM match and he disappears, that's fine with me.

Bolded 2:
Spot on. Guys like Cody & Ziggler get big pushes all year then here comes somebody to push them back down the card. Neither has been the same since the RTWM began, it doesn't make any damn sense. I would like for the returns to not interfere with the progress of others but it seems, at least to me, that it is.
Rhodes hasn't got main event potential and Ziggler needs to get away from Vickie and Swagger to break out. The big stars aren't holding them back at all. If WWE really wanted, they could put Ziggler in the main event. But thats not in their plans at this time...

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I don't really give a damn. I just want to be entertained. The Rock comes back and entertains me in one night more than Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder or some other "young talent" would in 5 careers, so that's what I hope to see more of.

The 'young guys' are mostly boring anyways. They had most of 2009 and 2010 to prove themselves but business was tanking hard during that time so they had to bring back The Rock to help Wrestlemania buyrates.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
If WWE really wanted, they could put Ziggler in the main event. But thats not in their plans at this time...
And do what with him? I like Ziggler, I think he's very talented, but he's bland and garners as largely apathetic a crowd reaction as Sheamus and Del Rio. They're both "main eventers" in the technical sense but still midcarders in spirit. I mean shit, Sheamus is World Champion, but does he feel like one? I don't believe so. He certainly isn't treated like one. It's because they put all these guys on in top spots before the crowd was pre-conditioned to give a shit about them. If you pushed a guy like Kofi, who's been a super-over babyface for years now, he could probably get a main event crowd reaction the likes of which none of those guys are capable of now because they just haven't been built for it.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Rhodes hasn't got main event potential and Ziggler needs to get away from Vickie and Swagger to break out. The big stars aren't holding them back at all. If WWE really wanted, they could put Ziggler in the main event. But thats not in their plans at this time...
We can argue about Rhodes potential until we are blue in the face but my point is that those two are a microcosm of the overall picture. Returns have rippled down the roster holding back even the champions. We saw it with Miz last year. The focus is no longer on them but on other people...granted they aren't around at the moment which speaks to the way E's creative team works but my point is valid.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Mostly because people's faves are either retired or part-timers and they've moved onto some new guys as their faves and they want them to succeed. My all-time fave was Steve Austin, and now I took up making it Daniel Bryan (with an incoming of 1B being Dean Amrbose), so I want him to succeed.

Pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Bolded 1:

Bolded 2:
True.

Ziggler was getting some shine during his feud with Punk this year. Suddenly, Y2J returns and is engaged in a feud with Punk for the better part of 4 months. I mean, he competes in the Rumble for a title shot and loses. He competes in Elimination Chamber for the title and loses. He wins a battle royal to become number 1 contender and loses at WM. He gets yet another title shot at the next PPV and loses. He was probably destined for his 5th WWE Title related PPV match in 5 months if black ref ain't botch the count (didn't see black ref this week) and now, he gets thrust into a World Title situation on Smackdown. Yeah, we get Miz in preshow matches, Kane returning as a masked monster again but looking more vulnerable than he was without the mask, Ziggler is the heel equivalent of Kofi and Cody got wasted with a Big Show feud.

It's fucking stupid. Nothing against Brock, Jericho or whoever but since I can't see a decent angle/match/feud with Kofi, Cena, Cody, Ziggler or any other full time performer, involving ONLY full time performers, I would much rather see a Terry Funk/Ric Flair ironman match.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts