Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People are surprised/angry that DJ is popular and highest paid actor in the world. They complain his movies suck and he can't act. But to be famous, all one need is good looks, charisma and a bit of luck. Dwayne has all 3 especially charisma. Why is it shocking fans want to see a charismatic actor on screen? Just look at who's popular in WWE. Becky Lynch, Bray Wyatt who fans say are charismatic and decent/average wrestlers. Hulk was the biggest wrestler of all time and he was limited wrestler.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I'm not shocked, Dwayne is the definition of hardwork and willing to get out from his comfort zone and what I hate most back then, he "bow down" to kiddie company,Disney, so he can be their exclusive actor,but when I rethink about it, sometimes you need take that kinda sacrifice to achieve the success and Dwayne took it after several failure with his movies after he quit from WWE in 2004. For reminder,there was a report that WWE just let Dwayne's contract up without notice and think they could offer him a new contract with lower price than what he earned during his stint in Attitude Era (simple logic,WWE thought Dwayne will crawl back to WWE for a job after he failed at Hollywood).

Took 7 years for Dwayne to get worldwide acknowledgement as movie star and it wasn't instant and he opened a way for WWE superstars to have career in other entertainment business.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I think it is due to people only remember seeing him in franchise movies and don't really remember his name carrying stupid movies like Skyscraper so the impression is his movies make money due to the IP instead of him carrying the movie. His earlier works before fast 5 weren't that great so I guess the impression stuck for many.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
No one is shocked.

the end.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,873 Posts
Are people shocked? They must have not been paying attention to, you know, ANY part of American movie or pop culture history for about 80 years.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
11,269 Posts
Well whom ever says that are contradicting themselves because you go to the movies to watch Dwayne you’re contributing to his success of the movie doing well so to say his movies suck makes that individual or those individuals sound remedial.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Well whom ever says that are contradicting themselves because you go to the movies to watch Dwayne you’re contributing to his success of the movie doing well so to say his movies suck makes that individual or those individuals sound remedial.
I went to the RAW show in Anaheim because of Rock. The show itself was typical 2011 shithousery, but man was it worth seeing The Great One live one more time.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If they think Dwayne Johnson sucks then they must at least think Arnold sucks too which means stupidity at it's finest.
Arnold was only good for two things: His thick accent, and doing uber-macho shit like killing alien man-hunters, smoking an entire LAPD precinct, and fighting Batman. And, quite frankly, I was entertained by his work. Sure, he's no thespian, but his look alone elates my masculinity, as I too desire to slay my foes, Conan-style.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mostly because of his failed Hollywood run from 2003-2010.. but then he got HUGE and started getting bigger roles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I loved the Rock as a wrestler, I'm surprised he's done aswell as he has in Hollywood as to be honest he's not a great actor, obviously neither was Arnold Swartzanegger but Terminator/T2/Predator/Commando/Running Man were all-time-great action movies, Rock's been acting for almost 20 years now and I'd struggle to say I've watched one of his films a second time, he's really done nothing special. Pain and Gain I enjoyed for some reason but he wasn't the lead in that.

·
it's a tarp!
5,069 Posts
Dwayne's problem in a movie is that he has to have the lead or co-lead.

Usually in the sort of movies Dwayne stars in the protagonist is typically a charismatic younger star with all the physical attributes but hasn't yet put them together, and so that's their journey.

Since Dwayne replaces that proven archetype instead of a young hero on a journey, it's always a middle-aged guy who knows everything has achieved everything and can only be put in jeopardy by placing a family member of innocent at risk.

So in effect all Dwayne's movies rely entirely on his star power to sell, which he clearly does.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I loved the Rock as a wrestler, I'm surprised he's done aswell as he has in Hollywood as to be honest he's not a great actor, obviously neither was Arnold Swartzanegger but Terminator/T2/Predator/Commando/Running Man were all-time-great action movies, Rock's been acting for almost 20 years now and I'd struggle to say I've watched one of his films a second time, he's really done nothing special. Pain and Gain I enjoyed for some reason but he wasn't the lead in that.
Just like average wrestlers who got over due to charisma like Bray and Hogan. Rock isn't a great actor but he's charismatic which is enough for most people. There are some good actors and they have the charisma of a cardboard which won't attract audiences.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,089 Posts
Dwayne's problem in a movie is that he has to have the lead or co-lead.

Usually in the sort of movies Dwayne stars in the protagonist is typically a charismatic younger star with all the physical attributes but hasn't yet put them together, and so that's their journey.

Since Dwayne replaces that proven archetype instead of a young hero on a journey, it's always a middle-aged guy who knows everything has achieved everything and can only be put in jeopardy by placing a family member of innocent at risk.

So in effect all Dwayne's movies rely entirely on his star power to sell, which he clearly does.
It's not just the main lead or a deuteragonist role but he's perfectly fine doing small cameos even but I just cannot see Dwayne in a supporting role at all he just wouldn't suit it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts